User Tag List

Thread: Those stupid single use chain pins

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Those stupid single use chain pins

I’ve just been reminded through my eldest son giving me the gift of his feedback, that even 9spd Shimano chains use those stupid single use chain pins. You know, you pay peanuts...

So was 9 speed the start of that debacle? I’m not surprised quick links took off...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Those stupid single use chain pins

As far as my memory goes, Shimano always had this, and I'm talking of M730 Deore XT.

And there's more, the original "quick-link" (IIRC) was a patent of a small American company then bought from and exploited by Sram.

Even though, yes the "quick-links" are super-convenient, but in most cases the chain can be cleaned "in situ".
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't cause those chain pins stupid. They are less error prone than quick links.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I wouldn't cause those chain pins stupid. They are less error prone than quick links.
    Huh? One of two single use pins I've ever ridden (Campagnolo 11 on new bike built by experienced mechanic) failed. Many tens of thousands of miles on quick links (10, 11, and 12 speed) with no failures. I know my experience constitutes anecdote, but do you have data to support your viewpoint? Genuinely curious, not arguing.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Huh? One of two single use pins I've ever ridden (Campagnolo 11 on new bike built by experienced mechanic) failed. Many tens of thousands of miles on quick links (10, 11, and 12 speed) with no failures. I know my experience constitutes anecdote, but do you have data to support your viewpoint? Genuinely curious, not arguing.
    I am not sure how your experience with a Campagnolo single us pins relate to the shimano one. If used appropriately all systems work well anyway.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm tastes great or less filling?

Both work perfectly if installed with diligence and I'll swear to it. Done wrong either will fail spectacularly.

Campy has some next level specs. and with their tools makes installing a one time pin real real nice BUT you have got to own the process much like anything your teeth depend on.

Anybody? Bueller?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sram has gone the extra mile by inventing the single-use quick link. It's also directional.

My first experience with those was riding with a friend to the LBS for a new one because he had installed it inside out or upside down or whatever.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Sram has gone the extra mile by inventing the single-use quick link. It's also directional.

My first experience with those was riding with a friend to the LBS for a new one because he had installed it inside out or upside down or whatever.
    Huh. I have not seen those. You have caused me to Google.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as long as the link snaps into place, it can be used again. SRAM and Shimano won't go on record saying this, because then it opens them up should someone reuse it well past it's intended use and have it fail. at this point, if the quicklink opens up a little too easily, and a tool is barely required, i'll toss and replace.

still prefer pins, though.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, the only link OR pin I have seen let anyone down was the most expensive one, one of the Wippermann Connex. SRAM, Shimano, KMC, and any pin--no problems. For Campy 10 pins, save your old steel pilots for driving the pins in, the al ones bend almost instantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sram has gone the extra mile by inventing the single-use quick link. It's also directional.....
    Nah, that was done by Connex many (possibly 15) years ago. Very little has been "invented" by Sram, the vast majority has been bought from other brands

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    See below, if not done correctly anything can fail. I install about 1500-2000 bicycle chains per year (no joke), of which 1/4 has to be Campagnolo ones. No failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouverdave View Post
    ...For Campy 10 pins, save your old steel pilots for driving the pins in, the al ones bend almost instantly.
    The secret is fo make sure there's no swarf inside the female chain plate: stick a 3mm allen key in, to remove anything that may foul with the installation.
    And always use the "pin-spring" retainer, to make sure the chain is actually fully inside the chain-tool (the fit is snug), and to keep it perfectly square with the bridges of the chain-tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been quick link only since the first wipperman conex link. Elegant design and simple to use in real world. Futzing in the sleety dark with a shimano pin after a long day at work made the decision a no-brainer.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now have installed some of these. Does anyone know why they are single use? I read that the other links were reusable but these new special ones aren't. Unless anyone gives me a good reason not to reuse it and I can remove one with a normal amount of force I am the type that will try it anyway. Rebel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current Shimano 11 and 12s quick links are also both directional and, as per Shimano, single-use. I have reused many quicklinks many times (I wax all my personal chains) and have had zero issues.

Fixing pins and rivets require more practice, care, and attention, and a higher-quality or more-specialized (a la Campagnolo) chain tool, than most home mechanics can muster. Hence most of the bad press. Professional mechanics shouldn’t struggle too much with either installation method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    Current Shimano 11 and 12s quick links are also both directional and, as per Shimano, single-use. I have reused many quicklinks many times (I wax all my personal chains) and have had zero issues.

Fixing pins and rivets require more practice, care, and attention, and a higher-quality or more-specialized (a la Campagnolo) chain tool, than most home mechanics can muster. Hence most of the bad press. Professional mechanics shouldn’t struggle too much with either installation method.
    For me, it’s not the installation - it’s the having any around to install. Unless it’s a 9 spd chain that I’d forgotten (if I ever knew) need them - then it was absolutely about the installation
    Colin Mclelland