User Tag List

Thread: Stuck SRAM GXP crank - help needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stuck SRAM GXP crank - help needed

I can't remove a SRAM crank from my cross bike. Specs: 68 mm GXP BSA bottom bracket, Force 11 2x chainset, 24 mm axle. I installed everything with a torque wrench last year. Rode it for a full cross season with last race a muddy hell, but cleaned bike and have been riding it all winter and spring, crank spins freely. I need to replace the chainrings and would like a fresh BB for this fall's season (if it happens).

Sooo.......after I remove the 8 mm self extracting bolt on the non-drive side (and the left crank arm), the spindle will not budge out of the shell. I've given it a few whacks with a rubber hammer and still no go. I've removed this and similar cranks many times with no problem, checked manufacturer's .pdf and a couple of YouTube videos in case I had forgotten something. No dice; I haven't missed some secret retaining part. Ideas? Hit it harder? WD-40 or another solvent and wait? TIA for replies.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Stuck SRAM GXP crank - help needed

It sounds like the steel spindle corroded and bonded itself to the steel bearings. A little squirt of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench on the bearing/axle interfaces and an overnight waiting period should free them up. It doesn't seem like there is room for the Liquid Wrench to get into the interface but the capillary action will take it where it needs to go as long as you give it a good dousing.

When you put the new BB in, don't be shy with the grease on the GXP spindle during assembly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with above. Try laying the frame drive side down. Tri-flow PB Blaster, Coke Cola, WD-40. Maybe one of them will penatrate the spindle bearing interface. Ocassionally tapping the spindle. If you have to get more agressive with the hammer/mallet. Try threading a bolt into the spindle just snug. Then the bolt head will take the impact sparing the threads and spindle splines. Dead blow hammers are helpful. If you are using a work stand see if someone can brace the frame on the drive side. One hand on the downtube and seat tube. Final thought if you are swinging fast. STOP! Get a bigger mallet. Let us known how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

block of wood against the spindle, and a normal hammer.

also, have someone support the right side of the frame, so that the force of your impact goes into the spindle, rather than traveling up into whatever clamping mechanism you're using.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alternatively put the block of wood on the ground, NDS side down and spindle against the block and use your weight to push down on the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See if the NDS BB cup will thread out which may apply enough force to pull the cup off the spindle if that's where the problem is. If not the problem leave the cup off to give easy access to the DS BB cup lay the bike on the its DS down and apply liquid wrench or other lube. Next day hit spindle with a block of wood and hammer. If still stuck take out the chain ring bolts cut it off and use vise grips to remove the DS BB cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to suggest a small controlled thermite reaction?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for removing a stubborn crank or press fit bottom bracket I really like to have the frame supported by the tires on the ground when you're whacking it with a mallet. that way the load path is at least close to what the frame is designed to see.

but if this a factory SRAM BSA GXP BB I would start by trying to unthread the non-driveside cup before going crazy with the persuader (hammer). The driveside cup has a plastic dustcap between the spindle and the bearing. Sometimes those get to be a tight fit but there isn't anything to keep the crank in the bike if met with a moderate effort. The bearing on the NDS is a different story.

Dousing the BB in your preferred penetrating oil should get it unstuck. for really tough jobs I like acetone and trans fluid over night. it'll get anywhere. You can usually also get the chainrings into position without pulling the crank. If the BB is still ok-ish you might want to consider doing just that part of the job until you get closer to the season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I was going to suggest a small controlled thermite reaction?
    It think I might have seen that episode

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove the Lh crank and try to undo the Lh BB cup, if it's stiff do as per picture (assuming is a Sram BB).
    Since the crank axle will protrude, you can't use a "socket" type tool, but you will need a spanner type tool; not the "open" type like the Shimano TL-FC32, you want a ring type like the Campagnolo UT-BB120 or the Park Tool BBT-9.
    If said BB cup can be removed then it's easy, as posted above the Rh BB cup has a plastic sleeve between the bearing and the crank, so it's unlikely to have gone seized. It is the Lh cup that engages the crank axle on the step where the axle meets the Lh BB bearing, and this is where is can be seized/corroded on metal-metal contact with no compound to prevent this.

And next time USE GREASE : blink1:

https://i.imgur.com/9vjkwHv.mp4
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure a rubber mallet is good for something, though I don't know what it is. Hit it with a real hammer and it'll likely come out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    I'm sure a rubber mallet is good for something, though I don't know what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any update on this? I've always achieved results with such things by using CRC Freeze-Off.

61m4txLdCWL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP here - haven't gotten around to the job yet. I will approach it with a penetrant, block of wood against spindle, someone holding it for countertraction and a few hard whacks with a 'real' hammer. If that doesn't work, off to shop. My BB tool is a socket type so I can't remove the NDS cup with the spindle in. Will post a follow-up. Pretty sure that all the good advice here will work. Originally, I thought I had a brain fart and was forgetting some retaining part. I'm a home mechanic with Campy on my road bikes, SRAM on the cross and Shimano on the MTB all of different vintages so sometimes I miss a nuance and have to look it up. In this case, I had hit it moderately hard with a rubber mallet and didn't want to mangle anything with more force if not necessary.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow-up: the block of wood/hammer method worked easily. Looking at things, I had probably overdone it on the copper anti-seize (ti frame) when installing the last BB - there was a bunch of this mixed with mud that had gotten everywhere including on the spindle. It was very hard and very adherent. New BB and rings on the way.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good work.

for what it's worth, i just use a good waterproof grease in the BB shell of any bike i put together, regardless of material.

Also worth noting here, that this is a perfect application for a shot fill "dead blow" hammer.