User Tag List

Thread: A story of dt swiss hubs, XD bodies and end caps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A story of dt swiss hubs, XD bodies and end caps

I have dt swiss xm1501 rear wheel I'd like to use with a sram 1x11 group. My wheel came as thru-axle 142/12mm but with optionnal end caps and skewers for traditionnal qr.

The guy who sold me the xx1/x01 parts gave me the xd driver body that came with the syncros wheels of his scott spark, sans end caps. All I know is they have DT Ratchet internals. I looked at the dt swiss Sram XD converters available in the DT Swiss website and the bodies for ratchet mecanism all looks the same without word if they differ. Also, no word if the caps are specific to the body or if one can use the xd body with end caps coming from the wheel with a shimano body.

Today I swapped the body for the XD Driver, put back the caps that came with the wheels, then my brand new XO1 cassette. Once I mount the wheel to the frame then secure the skewer the wheel can freewheel but the cassette can hardly move. When I mount it without chain and rotate the cassette I can see the end cap rotating too which means my setup do not allow the cassette/body to move freely from the axle. Unmounting the wheel, the DS end cap and the cassette can't move freely from each other. Bummer.

My assumption is that I can't use an xd driver body with end caps coming from a hub purchased with a shimano body. Can anyone confirm ? The complete kit (body + caps) kit is quite expensive, I'd rather buy the end caps only if my xd body is compatible.

Thanks
    Thomas
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: A story of dt swiss hubs, XD bodies and end caps

Back 2 floors higher and a full size laptop screen I now understand the DS end cap is different for the XD driver body :

shimano specific end cap :

sram xd specific end cap :

In my case, the sram XD cassette was pressed against the shimano end caps bearing cover which didn't allow them to rotate freely from each other. The sram XD specific end cap allows the XD cassette to act directly as a bearing cover.

Morality : next time you want to have a look at tech docs and catalogs, don't use that smartphone with a tiny screen ;-)
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn Thomas! - glad I just found this thread - ran into the same thing last night. DT350 hubs switching from Shimano to xD - and using the DT 135mm x 10 thru bolt rear end. Pulled off the Shimano freehub and I swear I assembled everything in the freehub correctly, threw it on the bike, snugged down the axle and the cassette wouldn't turn with any pressure on it.

And there they are - xD specific end caps. D'oh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Damn Thomas! - glad I just found this thread - ran into the same thing last night. DT350 hubs switching from Shimano to xD - and using the DT 135mm x 10 thru bolt rear end. Pulled off the Shimano freehub and I swear I assembled everything in the freehub correctly, threw it on the bike, snugged down the axle and the cassette wouldn't turn with any pressure on it.

And there they are - xD specific end caps. D'oh!
    I know that the 142TA end cap is specific on the drive side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had a similar situation when converting a DT hub to Campagnolo through-axle. But even with all proper factory parts the interference persisted. In this case it was the freehub body against the hub shell, so the spacer (Art. No. HCDXXX00S1077S) wasn't long enough. So I made a 0.007" shim:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    I know that the 142TA end cap is specific on the drive side.
    and the 10 and 11 speed Shimano carriers each have unique 12mm end caps. When changing from 10 to 11, you'll also need a new end cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, so after luckily sourcing an xD compatible drive side end cap last night I pulled it all apart again, triple checked spring and star ratchet assembly and the thing was still binding up. WTF.

Looking closely at the 1195 cassette I can see a piece of white plastic on the interior mating surface (essentially sitting between the 10t cog and the end of the xD driver).

looks like this after it remove it:

If that's in the freewheel binds to the axle. If it's out everything goes together and spins freely. I can see it being there as some sort of spacer/noise reduction device - but no reference to it online.

One photo I found seems to show it (in a much less mangled state than mine - as I've removed and installed/torqued the cassette a whole handful of times by now):

white spacer.jpg

Others do not (all metal, no plastic):
    no spacer.jpg

SRAM_cutaway.jpeg

Anybody have a new in box 1195 or 1199 or know for sure if that's supposed to be in there or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If something does need to be there (I guess it sits between the 10t and the end cap), I may go thollandpe on the thing and make my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, so apparently it's a friction bushing that I almost certainly crushed due to being an idiot and previously trying to assemble the damn thing using the wrong (too large) hub endcap. D'oh. The xD endcap is indeed noticeably smaller in diameter.

XX1 cassette installation....really need help- Mtbr.com

So I'm on the hunt for a new one. No luck in the SRAM spare parts catalog.

Ryan aka "Captain Dumbass"