Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sram Etap Front Derailleur Adjustment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sram Etap Front Derailleur Adjustment

I have Etap newly installed on a new frame. I am working my way through fine tuning the setup.

Sram specifies that the outside cage plate of the front derailleur be 1-2 mm above the large chain ring. But in order for the top of the chain not to rub the small flange or tab on the inside of the outside cage plate when in the big ring-smallest cog combination, I needed to move the front derailleur up to about 2.5 mm.

On an inconsistent basis the shift from the small ring to the big ring is not smooth. So I am wondering if this may be caused by the height of the front derailleur? If not, is the solution to fine tune the high limit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sram Etap Front Derailleur Adjustment

I had to do similar - for me it was so that the chainrings were (at a guess) about 0.25mm below the bottom edge of the mark they have machined on the inner front mech plate to help you set this up, to be able to fully clear the chain.

I can't help thinking they have this mark in the wrong place as I know you and I aren't the only ones to have to do this.

I never had issue with the way my front mech was shifting, though - even if it were slow I didn't notice it; and regardless, a slightly slow shift is a small price to pay for no noise.

How inconsistent is your non-smooth front shift, and are we talking in the stand or on the road?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sram Etap Front Derailleur Adjustment

After I posted this I turned the high limit screw out just a hair. It seemed to have a positive impact although not completely ok. The behavior is pretty much the same on the road or not. I am thinking that the chain ring teeth may need to wear in a bit. I don't want to adjust outward anymore just yet since it seems like this setup is very susceptible to dropping the chain off the ring on the high side.