Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Silca Impero Ultimate

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Silca Impero Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    always go with the longer pump if you can squeeze it in, the fit will be more secure with more spring compression.

i've got one and can measure the real deal clearance tomorrow if you'd like.

i like mine a lot, fortunately i've only had to use it once, but it worked well when i did.
    That would be great; thanks! Mine would go on a my Hampsten ti GP, so conventional round tubing like your Marinoni (sweet bike!)

Post Thanks / Like

I just got one - here is a quick review.

First rationale - I'm gonna use this pump for solo and 2 person rides. Anything bigger sticking with a Co2. I started riding/racing in 91 and back then most everyone had a full frame pump and I used mine till 2000 or so and switched to mini then Co2. At least once a year I get into a situation where a Co2 doesn't cure the situation. This summer the spare tube had a valve failure (called for a ride) - another time the tire didn't seed correctly and had to ride home 10 miles on less than 15PSI without sitting (it was a rear). I could use 2 Co2s for every ride, but . . .I'd rather go this route.

The pump: Feels awesome. Well made. If it doesn't fall while riding it should last 20 years no problem. It's attractive, though it doesn't have the embossing like the Italian Silca pumps. I have the XL size and it fits very snug under my Firefly Ti and Colnago C59 - pics in their respective cycling galleries. I did a test in my basement with a tubular 24mm vittoria. 75 pumps got me to 80psi. This is on par with Silca's claim. One note: it was wicked hard once I got to 65, then really wicked hard at 70 pumps. Not to brag, but I can bench more than the typical tree monkey bike racer - 100 pumps aint gonna be easy. My bet, and I will try in the real world, get to 75 pumps - pack up your stuff, take a rest, bang out 5 to 10 more pumps and then ride.

My bet is I will use this thing 5 times a year - at 20 years that aint cheap per use - here is the deal - it will ALWAYS work and you never have to worry about running out like you do on Co2. It also looks drop dead gorgeous - on certain bikes - on my bare Ti and my black colnago it looks killer. Oh and there is ZERO rattle. Like some of you: I had massive price aversion with the new Silca floor pump (yea, yea even if it does last forever - a floor pump just isn't where I am putting my heirlooms). The Impero was less so: it aint cheap, but it CAN be somewhat justified (key word here being 'somewhat')

Post Thanks / Like

Any tips for keeping from sliding without a pump peg or strap? My TT is about 52 and that's right in the middle of the L size range. It works well on smooth roads, but when I hit more than a few bumps in a row the Impero starts to wiggle down. Unfortunately there's a lot of space on the head tube between the top tube and down tube, so it's not like on some bikes where the lack of space between the pump and downtube/headtube junction helps keep it in place.

Running a strap right now, but would prefer other solutions for aesthetic purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by el bulli View Post
    Any tips for keeping from sliding without a pump peg or strap? My TT is about 52 and that's right in the middle of the L size range. It works well on smooth roads, but when I hit more than a few bumps in a row the Impero starts to wiggle down. Unfortunately there's a lot of space on the head tube between the top tube and down tube, so it's not like on some bikes where the lack of space between the pump and downtube/headtube junction helps keep it in place.

Running a strap right now, but would prefer other solutions for aesthetic purposes.
    Aesthetically speaking, you can order a bespoke pump strap from Busyman Bicycles. I don't need a strap because I have a pump peg, but I got one just to match the bar tape and saddle.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like

If you're handy with a sewing machine (or know somebody who is), you can probably head to a fabric/textile store and pick out a length of webbing in a matching/complimentary colour to your bike, a plastic cinch thingy and some velcro and make your own matching strap for less than $10.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like

So I am thinking about springing for one of these bad boys for my all road frame. Or I might just get a Tattico as it would be more versatile...we'll see. Anyway, for the Impero I am at the very upper end of the large size; my TT is just a few mm under 53 cm. My frame isn't painted yet so I could easily add a pump peg on the HT, which would take up a few more mm. So a couple questions:

-Does the Impero have a pump peg receptacle on the handle end?
    -Given that I'm at the edge of the large size would the pump be secure enough with a peg for rattle/worry free riding on washboard country roads w/o a strap?
    Jason Henkle
    flickr
    instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Guy View Post
    -Does the Impero have a pump peg receptacle on the handle end?
    -Given that I'm at the edge of the large size would the pump be secure enough with a peg for rattle/worry free riding on washboard country roads w/o a strap?
    Short answer: Yes, yes. Mine are rock solid in my frames, one frame with a pump peg, one without. A small strap wouldn't hurt if you planned on a rough road, but I have yet to pop the pump out chasing my kid on singletrack on a steel CX bike with no pump peg.
    Bike nerd, lighting nerd
    www.alpenglowinc.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RanOverMyTongue View Post
    Short answer: Yes, yes. Mine are rock solid in my frames, one frame with a pump peg, one without. A small strap wouldn't hurt if you planned on a rough road, but I have yet to pop the pump out chasing my kid on singletrack on a steel CX bike with no pump peg.
    Cool, thanks for the reply. I pulled the trigger on an Impero.
    Jason Henkle
    flickr
    instagram

Post Thanks / Like

I would double the recommendation to get the longer size if you have 2 sizes that will fit. I have a 57 and I think I ended up swapping the L for an XL. I did a bunch of trail riding last weekend and the pump stayed put; I don't have a velcro strap for it or anything. Haven't had to use the thing yet, but I suspect it will work about 14,000x better than my original Silca from the dark ages!

Post Thanks / Like

So my Impero Ultimate has been great but recently found out that the leather washer has dried out and it no longer pushes air. Anyone encountered this and rehabbed the washer? I see what Silca says on their floor pump on their site but don't see the recommended fluid available. Any alternative fluids that would work to rehydrate the washer?

Nevermind, found it under the rebuild kits....
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    So my Impero Ultimate has been great but recently found out that the leather washer has dried out and it no longer pushes air. Anyone encountered this and rehabbed the washer? I see what Silca says on their floor pump on their site but don't see the recommended fluid available. Any alternative fluids that would work to re-hydrate the washer?
    I make the lube for Silca uses to condition that leather washer. Remove it and work NFS into the leather thoroughly, that's close enough. If you do not have NFS a bit of motor oil (clean) is ok'ish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I make the lube for Silca uses to condition that leather washer. Remove it and work NFS into the leather thoroughly, that's close enough. If you do not have NFS a bit of motor oil (clean) is ok'ish.
    If you don't have NFS you should.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like

Mine did the same thing, Silca sent some NFS and it worked like a champ. Thanks, Josh.
    Bike nerd, lighting nerd
    www.alpenglowinc.com

Post Thanks / Like

NFS rules the day -- I use the other oils I've collected for things like door hinges and... other people's bikes (is that wrong of me?).

Question about the Impero -- when I try to use it, the thingie on the end of the valve stem goes through the big hole in the pump head, but hits the little hole in the pump head and blocks air from coming through. I assume I'm doing something wrong, but I've never encountered this on any other pump. What is up?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing I need to push the pump on further until the part I unscrew (what's that called?) goes through the smaller hole, and the smaller hole then wraps around the stem, but didn't want to risk trashing anything if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    I'm guessing I need to push the pump on further until the part I unscrew (what's that called?) goes through the smaller hole, and the smaller hole then wraps around the stem, but didn't want to risk trashing anything if I'm wrong.
    That's right. For the Neanderthals and if your pumps rubber gasket is new'ish it will be pretty tight so the answer is spit on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I like advice that sounds a bit dirty.

BTW, Silca has a contest to win Sagan's jersey. Comes with elbow patches. ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Roadside review for the pump. I've had it on my Spectrum for 1500 miles or so now. It rattled a little until I figured out the black rubber thingie. Genius, that thing is. Otherwise, didn't normally know I had a pump attached to my bike. Got a flat this weekend, about 15 miles in. Tube out, new tube in, and I was off. Honestly, it was harder to get the tire back on the rim than it was to put 90 psi into the tire with the pump. And it is a pleasure

I will say, I completely forgot I had one of those annoying threaded valve stems on my spare tube. I can't hate those things enough. Regardless, it was a little harder to get the pump head onto the threaded stem and tricky to get off without feeling like I was going to rip the stem out of the tube.

Being stuck on the side of the road before has made me a believer in a good frame pump. I've used the Zefal and an off-brand japanese frame pump (no idea who the manufacturer is, but it works OK) for years. This Silca is head and shoulders above the others in every way. Hard to justify the cost until you're stuck without it.