User Tag List

Thread: Which shift housing should I get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which shift housing should I get?

My shift housing has been eating itself, so it's time to recable my bike. I've searched a bit, but there wasn't a cable thread in a long while – is everything as it were 5 years ago?

What should I get for SRAM 11 road?
    SRAM's own branded cable seems out of stock almost everywhere. Can I assume it's a rebranded Jagwire?
    Are the new Dura Ace housing and cables better as the Shimano marketing claims?

IMG_2950.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Which shift housing should I get?

I use the DA housings with the coated cable on my bikes, and it just makes a world of difference...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
    --Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some observation from the shop. SRAM derailleur cables are actually smaller in dia. than Shimano 1.1 vs. 1.2. I think it makes a difference in how they shift. A quick look at one of the larger bicycle parts supplier shows plenty in stock. Your LBS should have no problem getting these. SRAM has housing that looks and feels a lot like Jagwire Sport housing.

Yes the first generation of Shimano Optislick just did not work well. Those were the cables that turned all fuzzy. The current generation Optislick works very well especially when used with OT-SP41 housing. These need little to no lube, do not get fuzzy over time. The Dura Ace grade coated cables do not seem to do anything more. Shimano can seem to have confusing number of cables and housing combinations. Without getting into end caps, sealed vs unsealed, tongues and more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lovely part about Sram shifty bits is that it doesn’t care what cables and housing you use. Though, I’d opt for 1.1mm cables.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sram shifters aren't great to feed the gear wires into, their 1.1mm wires will make it easier.
    Coated cables can be ok with will all peel off with time, the Shimano 105 type (the green-ish) are a good compromise. But coated cables are not to be used to cure a poor cable routing, get that sorted in the first place and standard wire+housing will do a good job anyway.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've been using Jagwire Pro Road as replacement cables on my SRAM mechanical group for years and they work great. The Elite Sealed felt great too, just like the old Gore cables, but not necessarily worth the extra money or time spent during setup if you're not riding in nasty conditions.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jagwire slick stainless cables, Shimano SP40 housing, and the proper end caps (unsealed at shifter ends, sealed or shrouded everywhere else). Housing end caps are almost more important than the housing itself.

Polymer coated DA cables are good, but super expensive, and the stakes are very high, especially for amateurs: screw up your installation and you need a new $30 cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any suggestions for a good source of quality end caps for the home mechanic? The kits are usually short, and I end up reusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shimano has always been my housing choice, even when I raced world cup DH for Sram. I use it to this day with great results. All of my bikes are wired up moto style, Left hand is rear brake, so I get a little more rubbing, and the Shimano DA is always up to the challenge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under normal circumstances, Origin 8 via JBI wouldn't be my first go to, however... they have a new line of kevlar reinforced linear housing for both brake and shifting that I have been very impressed with. They have long ferrules similar to high-end Shimano and also anti-chafe guards included in the cable kits for headtubes and seattubes. The cables themselves are a high-polish and feel seamless, even under Ultegra and DA standards. However, do not use the brake housing if they are single pivot brakes or something unique like Ciamillo. Hopes this helps!
    -J.Mullan
    "All your 'cross bikes is belongs to me."
    Indigenous Wheel Co.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Any suggestions for a good source of quality end caps for the home mechanic? The kits are usually short, and I end up reusing.
    I use narrow heat shrink - cut about 20mm, just wider than the cable and then shrink it tight. Nice and neat and you can just pull it off with a bit of effort and the cable isn't crimped underneath.

I think I first saw it on one of Katie Compton's bikes and liked the idea.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find Shimano kits quite complete. Any LBS worth its salt should stock all the Shimano housing end caps you need (note that heat shrink won’t work in any way for housing end caps...great for securing Di2 wires, etc., though). There’s probably half a dozen flavours, once you factor in the seals and tongues and whatnot. As with lots of other small parts, you might have to reach beyond the internet.

I find current Campy kits always to be one housing end cap short. I can’t quite figure it out. Could be me. Still, the sheer quality of Campy cable kits is unbeatable. Again though, don’t screw it up: the stakes are high with $75 worth of cables and housing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    But coated cables are not to be used to cure a poor cable routing, get that sorted in the first place and standard wire+housing will do a good job anyway.
    Current routing is fine. Used to be marginally better with the old Shimano 10-speed :)

Considering I rarely replace the housing (it's dry here, so not a lot of contamination), I don't mind spending some extra $$, but not if there's no real gains to be had. Extra sweat from the trainer and crowded storage space got the outer plastic to rub and tear I'm thinking I'll put those frame protector tubes when I replace it to avoid such mishaps, unless this forum has a better trick to teach me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a bottle of Jagwire end caps, shift and brake in gold and they've lasted for years. I bought bottles for the other mechanics in different colors so we could tell at a glance who'd done the work on bikes that came back to the shop. I will forever give crap to the sponsored racer that worked in the shop part time. He didn't know there was a different size for shift and brake and combined the bottles. What joy separating those out again.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    Current routing is fine. Used to be marginally better with the old Shimano 10-speed :)

Considering I rarely replace the housing (it's dry here, so not a lot of contamination), I don't mind spending some extra $$, but not if there's no real gains to be had. Extra sweat from the trainer and crowded storage space got the outer plastic to rub and tear I'm thinking I'll put those frame protector tubes when I replace it to avoid such mishaps, unless this forum has a better trick to teach me.
    Anything but Nokon, thank you
    Or very stiff housing like Yokozuna or similar, that is especially a no-go for small frames or cable routing that doesn't give enough length to the housing for flex.

For the frame, try Helicopter tape or the Gorilla Clear Repair (the latter is thinner and doesn't last as long, but far cheaper)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    I bought a bottle of Jagwire end caps, shift and brake in gold and they've lasted for years.
    I would guess what you’re referring to are cable end crimps? Which are important...but mostly just aesthetically important.

Just so the meaning of some of these posts isn’t obscured: housing end caps are different from cable ends, crimps, etc. And they’re really important. Look at the cost of some of them in the Shimano catalogue, or get a pick and compare the ones included with a Campy kit to the 5 mm brass end on your brake housing, and you’ll know what I mean. I’ll reiterate, especially for the professionals who read this and might not already know: housing end caps are as important as housing, if not more so. There’s no reason to splurge on fancy lubed housing and coated cables if you don’t have the end caps required to keep the lube in and dirt out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Applesauce, correct. So often I see plastic used instead of metal, sealed where it is not needed or unsealed where it is. Let alone brake housing for derailleurs. It is a system of parts all designed to work together for the best results. An example the Shimano OT-RS900 housing sections. Help so much on frames that are really designed just for Di2. Or the Shimano cable ferrules that go into the shifters. As you mentioned good shops can help a lot here. Now only if Wheels/QBP will get alloy ferrules back in stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is easy to spot in most "off the shelf" bikes, especially the ones with Campagnolo groupset: when you see cheap plastic ferrules you know there's trouble there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    I would guess what you’re referring to are cable end crimps? Which are important...but mostly just aesthetically important.
    Ya got me, I did mean cable end crimps. Good point about the housing end caps too.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the cable crimps we use different way of crimping, i.e. my style is two flat pinch marks near the beginning of the crimp, other colleagues do three, others do them slant, etc.