User Tag List

Thread: Seized Seatpost Removal Tricks #2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Seized Seatpost Removal Tricks #2

I wanted to post this in one of my favourite ever vsalon threads Seized Seatpost Removal Tricks but couldn't as it's in the Knowledge.

In any case I came across this bikeradar article Watching this DIY seized seatpost remover work is ASMR for mechanics yesterday and thought that it would make a worthy addition to the great repository of knowledge in that thread. Maybe a mod could add it?

Andrew Lang has made an ingenious seatpost removal tool that works a bit like a giant bearing puller, anchored at the bb that pulls a stuck post straight up with no twisting. Stirling Bike Doctor's instagram has a whole stack of videos of his ingenious tool at work along with a bunch of other cool stuff.

I would be interested in the salon's views on the merits of pulling a stuck post out this way, anchored by the bb.
    Hugh Horsfall

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Seized Seatpost Removal Tricks #2

There isn't one answer for a problem that can grow in multiple ways: corrosion between titanium and aluminium is a lot different from the resin of the carbon into a steel tube.

IMO, the biggest problem is not to save the seatpost (you are most likely to bin it whatever happens: either has lots its nominal OD and will be damaged anyway) but to grab it to have good purchase.

My idea was to have a series of expanding "collets" of suitable length (say 60-80mm) to be fitted inside the seapost after its head has been cut. Those collets will provide the necessary strength for a split-clamp that is a similar length as the "collet", so you can properly tighten it and spread the load on a great surface.
    I've seen too many carbon seatposts cracked or failed while removing, the heat that comes by the friction of the seized parts is a cause for the resin to soften and the carbon matrix fails. This problem is reduced by pulling instead of twisting, so a rig as above is a very goo idea, yet the problem is not fully removed.

Our way to remove a seatpost that we can get to move a little, is to have 3 men working: with the seatpost locked in a big vice, two blokes will twist the frame working in tandem and the third one will pull. It's a hell of a workout but often we can get it. Needless to say, some frames are too delicate for this and we don't even try once.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on the collet note: blind bearing puller/slide hammer if the seatpost is trashed anyways. Just have to cut the seatpost short enough that the puller fits in

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I used two long handle screwdrivers that fit in the saddle rail clamp. It sounds like I'm torturing an animal, but it works.
    Weight Doper