0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Saddle Recovering

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Secondly, the colour doesn't actually suit my bike, so the leather - now attached to a saddle - may just be returned from whence it came to be used by the proprietor of Lyrebird Cycles for his own bike or that of a customer's new build, or to just sit on a shelf, as he sees fit.
    Well colour me surprised! Nice job though...

Iím impressed you are sending the saddle back rather than building a bike to match it!
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post

Iím impressed you are sending the saddle back rather than building a bike to match it!
    I think we both know Rich.....
    Mark Kelly

maker@lyrebirdcycles.com

lyrebirdcycles.com

With every mistake we must surely be learning

- While My Guitar Gently Weeps, G. Harrison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive done this before on an old flite.
    it worked ok, but you know the white goat leather i got was not really waterproof, so it turned a bluish gray just when it was wet with sweat. kinda gross.
    agree hard part is getting rid of creases around the nose of the saddle and not cutting too much off the underside. probably best to start with more.
    I used 3M spray adhesive, though I understand that contact "barge " cement can also work (though I also fear might be a bit too tenacious on foam once set?)
    The good thing about this saddle is it seems like you have open access to the bottom, whereas some have awkward bumpers and stuff to remove...
    nice job particularly for a first attempt rich! not obvious with that weird pressure relief zone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like most amateur efforts to recover a saddle don't get nearly enough tension on the covering. As per this Fizik video, covering a saddle is like shaping a shoe upper, except that you don't remove the foot form. Doing the top and then fixing and trimming the bottom are both done while the saddle is very firmly locked into position. And the material applied is actually a lot thinner than most of the re-covering materials I've seen.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stock material is always much thinner than you would think. I was surprised to see two people working to apply the covering from the top. It helps to explain the tightness of covering. Nice vid. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately it’s looking like my glue job wasn’t up to snuff - the edges have come away in a number of places.

Currently deciding whether to see it as an opportunity to obtain some more material and start again, to re-glue, or just chalk it up to experience for now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never rely only on glue job only but use staples as well. Rivets can be an option as well in some areas. Although I am also using pegs/clips (not sure of the correct english word) as well, it helps keeping the material under tension while the glue is drying.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Unfortunately it’s looking like my glue job wasn’t up to snuff - the edges have come away in a number of places.

Currently deciding whether to see it as an opportunity to obtain some more material and start again, to re-glue, or just chalk it up to experience for now...
    good day, long time no see guys

I have recovered several saddles, mostly selle italia as it fits me well, all w/leather and all were without problem
    I did it much the same but only varied w/the glue I used was a contact cement that was made for laying carpet, its supposed to be layered on each surface til its tacky then apply, and I have had them last the past 3 years without fail. So maybe look at Lowes/Home depot and try that, not all glues are equal

good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What leather did you use?
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    What leather did you use?
    0.7mm Kangaroo leather

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leh Leather Goods has a new website. They are not doing saddle recovering but are selling kits to DIY. A bit pricey, really, for what you are getting, but still a good resource. Lots of different types of leather you can order. Here's a link to their website. They have a great 13 minute video about saddle recovering technique and tools, too.

Link: https://lehcycling.com/?omnisendAttr...ource=omnisend

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting about the leh kit. i was bummed when Leh stopped doing the service.

I recovered an old Arione last year and did OK with it. It was a lot easier then I expected. I used the 3m spray adhesive on the foam, then barge cement around the back side to keep the edges down. Where i went wrong is that i didn't take my time removing the old cover, then i didnt take my time to sand the foam smooth. There are a couple indentations where a bit of foam pulled away when i removed the old cover and it shows through the new leather.

For leather, i cut up a leather Jacket that my father picked up from a thrift shop and tried to hand down. It seems a bit on the thin side but it worked.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a photo in this thread showing Contact Cement. Don't use that crap unless you have a respirator or are outside or want to get cancer. Talked to Carson Leh about what he uses and it's a LEED-certified adhesive. Only available in large containers, unfortunately, but that's what he recommends and is shipping in the Recover Kits in 2 oz containers.

I bought some contact cement and then just put it on the shelf after I got home and read the directions and precautions. That stuff is pretty nasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    For leather, i cut up a leather Jacket that my father picked up from a thrift shop and tried to hand down.
    Oh, wow, now I'm getting some ideas*
    I have two leather jackets, neither of which I think I'll ever wear again. One was my grandfather's, a bona fide motorcycle jacket from the 1940s. It's completely falling apart except for (most of) the leather; I keep telling myself I should hire a talented tailor to rebuild the lining and zipper, but then I wonder if it'd be worth the expense since I only ever wore it for sentimental reasons. The other is one of those "fake" motorcycle jackets with all the chrome studs and zippers from back when I played in punk rock bands...way too tacky/trendy & dated looking for me to ever wear that in public again.
    But both would probably make an excellent bike saddle covering!

*ideas that I should not act upon, because my skill & patience at DIY projects almost guarantee that I would simply ruin both the jackets and the saddle, plus get glue all over the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, not sure a leather saddle with 'chrome studs' would work out so well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW Dept - posting some pics of my attempt at saddle recovering. I bought an Arione Test saddle off ebay in the 142 width. Then got a saddle recover kit from Leh Cycling/Leather Goods. Peeling off old cover was pretty easy, gluing on new one was a little tricky and I got some wrinkles in one spot. Tight curve on nose of saddle was also a bit tricky. Two different glues are used in the process - first a spray as seen in earlier threads for the general fitting, then a liquid one from Leh for finishing off the edges. The one he provides is much better than the more toxic ones available in small containers in stores. He buys in 5 gallon containers and decants into 2 oz bottles for resale.
    I'll give myself maybe a C for the job, but I like the white saddle better than what it started with. White Ariones are hard to find in the wider size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All right,
    My first attempt went OK using a beat up Arione and an old leather jacket. Fast forward to, well, the other day... I wanted. I needed to make a mother's day gift for my wife, but was kindof at a loss on what to do. In the past i've taken the easy route and given her a simple gift anyone could buy in a store. Sometimes a handbag; her late Mother (RIP) and her have always had a penchant for Kate Spade swag. She recently found a saddle she liked, so I had an idea....

I scored a Kate Spade bag on the bay for ~$30 shipped. The donor saddle was hard to find at retail prices, let alone at a discount on short notice. ~$130 for a new Ti railed version.

I started with this:
    1.jpg2.jpg

Sized it up and cut out my new cover using the previous cover as a rough template. I left some extra room so i could work with it.
    3.jpg4.jpg

I used 3M spray 77 adhesive on both surfaces.
    6.jpg7.jpg

Lined up the cover as best i could, then found the cutout was lifting. I gave it another shot of adhesive and had to come up with a way to keep pressure on it until the adhesive set. I left it overnight:
    8.jpg10.jpg

9.jpg

I used barge adhesive on the underside again as the bond seems superior to the 3m stuff. Its not perfect, and I hate the little bumps at the fold points, but the leather seems a bit thick for this application and this is the best i could do with it. Not bad overall for attempt number two.

11.jpg
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! Looks like a decent effort to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome. Great way of blending the two interests together. Looks good to me, too. I think black is more forgiving of little imperfections.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast