Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saddle Recovering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Saddle Recovering

Resurrecting this one. I would like to recover a worn San Marco Aspide for which the shell and rails have lots of useful life. Not looking for anything special, just a fresh black cover, maybe some cosmetic perforations.. Jason Moore (Recovered) is out of the recovering biz. Busyman is in Australia and appears to do only high end bespoke work. Shipping costs, etc. don't make sense for my purpose. Any other options? Too lazy and artistically challenged for DIY - would rather have my a** on the saddle pedaling rather than spending my time in the basement futzing with it.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lou, I'm a San Marco guy. Regal, or Strada or Titanio 200.

I also have an Aspide. It looks great on the bike it's on. But it makes me beg for mercy after two hours. Seriously, I need a safe word and/or two days off.

How many varieties of Aspide are there? As many as there are of Italian red or American whiskey? Because I'm willing to send you a photo if you're willing to send me a bottle.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. ó James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Lou, I'm a San Marco guy. Regal, or Strada or Titanio 200.

I also have an Aspide. It looks great on the bike it's on. But it makes me beg for mercy after two hours. Seriously, I need a safe word and/or two days off.

How many varieties of Aspide are there? As many as there are of Italian red or American whiskey? Because I'm willing to send you a photo if you're willing to send me a bottle.
    The ugly white Regal is still in use on my trainer bike with no signs of giving up. All my bikes have Regals except the MTB which has a Max Flite. I've broken rails but have never worn through the leather. Back in the day... I used to tear up a Turbomatic each season.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Too lazy and artistically challenged for DIY
    No you're not. Recovering saddles is incredibly easy.

Remove the old cover. If it has perimeter staples remove these first, then start prying up the old cover.

Use a very sharp blade at the interface between the underlay foam and the cover, cutting a few mm at a time. Push towards the cover, not the foam: it's a lot tougher and you are replacing it, right?

Takes me a few minutes max, but allow a little more time if you haven't done it before.

Lay out the old cover on top of whatever you want to use to recover: I use kangaroo hide because it's incredibly tough and supple.

Cut out the same shape in the new material, going a few mm overdimension won't matter, try not to cut undersize.

Optional step to improve results: wet down or steam the new cover and stretch it over the saddle then allow it to dry in position. This improves the drape.

Spray both surfaces with contact adhesive: I use 3M Type 90 high strength but that's probably overkill.

Allow the adhesive to tack, then roll the cover onto the saddle from one end to the other.

Smooth the cover from middle to edges then tuck the edges under. Secure around the perimeter with ordinary clothes pegs.

Leave overnight and you are done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

Interesting. I've had the opposite experience, which only reflects the individual nature of seat fit. Beyond the seat on my first road bike, I rode Selle Italia Flites for about twenty years with occasional discomfort on long rides but no significant problems. In a fit of weight-weenieism, I once purchased some superlight version of same. Weight weenie became numb weenie after about an hour. That one went straight to E-b*y. I tried an Aspide on a new bike in 2009 and haven't looked back. I now try to keep the same contact points on all my bikes and remain happy with them. I don't keep track of all the varieties, but I stick to the classic shape (I think it's the narrow now) and ti rails. I'm not hell bent on recovering this one - just trying to save a few bucks and extend the useful life of an otherwise functional object.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    No you're not. Recovering saddles is incredibly easy.
    Thanks for the detailed description. I have a cheap carbon saddle that I would like to cover in leather-is the adhesive you mentioned strong enough to keep the leather in place without staples around the edges on the underside?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    is the adhesive you mentioned strong enough to keep the leather in place without staples around the edges on the underside?
    That's exactly what I did and it has worked well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use kangaroo hide because it's incredibly tough and supple.
    Where do you get your roo hide from, @Mark Kelly? This has got me thinking as I’m down to one bike, meaning I have 3 saddles sitting idle...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's exactly what I did and it has worked well.
    Thanks,

I'll give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Where do you get your roo hide from, @Mark Kelly?
    I bought a box of offcuts a while ago and have forgotten the source. I packed up one to send to you today but didn't make the PO in time. I chose one with 0.7mm thickness so it is supple (and light).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a box of offcuts a while ago and have forgotten the source. I packed up one to send to you today but didn't make the PO in time. I chose one with 0.7mm thickness so it is supple (and light).
    You, sir, are too damn kind. With the utmost sincerity: thank you. Legend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, that offcut that Mark was so good to send to me arrived this week. I decided no time like the present.

The SQlab saddles have that funky divot/cutout, so I reckon I'm going to only glue that part and the nose section initially, then glue the back section separately - just to make sure the 'roo leather really gets into that area properly and to avoid having to stress too much about getting it all right in one hit.

If anyone suggests otherwise, shout up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decided it needed Mark’s ‘wet & stretch’ step:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't got any further with that ^^ yet.

Tell me @Mark Kelly, would tubular glue work in place of spray contact adhesive; or does the spray stuff offer more even coverage and less lumps than spreading a liquid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, I haven't glued a single for 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I donít think the glue matters Rich. I donít expect the colourway (oh I enjoyed writing that!) will last as long as the glue.

Maybe tubular tape if you are already going down that road...

Before you give up on clinchers you could always lash out and try some decent latex tubes.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a couple of camping trips, progress resumed today:

983856FE-0560-4958-8C1A-6311C5D169E1.jpg

Glued the ‘cutout’ and top of the nose section first, then the high rear portion, which seemed to work well. Now trimming the excess leather around the edges before finishing each side then the nose.

Sika Spray Fix seems to be ideal for the job, if you have access to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm no Mick 'Busyman' Peel, but this ain't a bad job for my first effort - especially given the saddle shape!:

The underside is a dog's dinner, but that's mainly because I trimmed it a bit tight in places to try and get the corners to fold in on themselves better - which is perhaps the trickiest part of the whole job. The main thing is all edges are securely attached (for now at least):

Two things:

Firstly, this is possibly the most rewarding bike-related non-riding thing I can recall doing. If you can give it a try, do it.

Secondly, the colour doesn't actually suit my bike, so the leather - now attached to a saddle - may just be returned from whence it came to be used by the proprietor of Lyrebird Cycles for his own bike or that of a customer's new build, or to just sit on a shelf, as he sees fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice job Rich.

Something that may help if you do this again: rather than trimming close to get the thing to tuck under on the inside curve, try cutting one or more triangular notches.

Leather can be dyed. Lighten it with oxalic acid first (sold at hardware shops as rust dissolver).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Mark - yes, I realised after the fact that darts would probably have been the go, but it was tricky to see where they needed to be until the glue was on and the material was forced into position. I may still be able to unpick, cut, then re-stick some of it; but the glue is so strong that it seems to be holding bloody well as it is.

I'll investigate the dye option - although I'm reluctant to risk taking it a step too far given that I've done a significantly better job than I ever imagined I would be able to!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast