Thread: Routing Campy hydro hose through handlebars

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Routing Campy hydro hose through handlebars

Currently running Campy hydro, and a while back after having the brakes installed and bled changed to a Deda Trentacinque bar with internal routing capabilities. At the time I opted to not mess with detaching the hose so I ran it outside the bars as on the previous bars. Now I'm thinking I'd like to run it internally.

Rather than removing the hose as the caliper end (as I the hose runs fully internally through the DT, BB and CS) has anyone disconnected a Campy hose at the banjo/master cylinder and then reattached? I'm assuming I'd still need to re-bleed the brakes from the caliper end but I'm OK with that.

I'll also have to check if the fitting would pass through the channel under the Deda bars vs having to take it off and replace it. Since I'm a rookie at hydro brakes I'm looking to keep things simple...

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Routing Campy hydro hose through handlebars

You’d have to cut off the banjo bit either way - you won’t get the fitting through the bar.

If you’re careful you could cut it off and re-install without draining the fluid, but a low level of mess will be unavoidable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    You’d have to cut off the banjo bit either way - you won’t get the fitting through the bar.

If you’re careful you could cut it off and re-install without draining the fluid, but a low level of mess will be unavoidable.
    These banjos are crimped permanently to the hoses. And they’re 5.5 mm ID, so there’s no replacing them with any aftermarket item I’ve ever seen.

The ONLY way to do this is disconnect at the caliper, cut the hose, and reroute it through the bar and frame accordingly. And then replace the terminations (barb and olive) at the caliper and bleed the brake fully. Sorry.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, gentlemen. No apologies needed; that's just the way things are. Since my rear hose is actually too long it will give me the opportunity to take care of that, and perhaps try a method for routing though the BB by having the hose circle the inside of the T47 shell vs having it run between the shell and the sleeve Argonaut provided. (Can't remember if that technique was posted here [didn't show up in search] or somewhere else....)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    These banjos are crimped permanently to the hoses. And they’re 5.5 mm ID, so there’s no replacing them with any aftermarket item I’ve ever seen.
    Valid point - I was running off a hazy memory of installation as I couldn't be bothered to go into the garage to check!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Thanks, gentlemen. No apologies needed; that's just the way things are. Since my rear hose is actually too long it will give me the opportunity to take care of that, and perhaps try a method for routing though the BB by having the hose circle the inside of the T47 shell vs having it run between the shell and the sleeve Argonaut provided. (Can't remember if that technique was posted here [didn't show up in search] or somewhere else....)
    One tip: use some foam sleeve of foam blocks to prevent the hose rattling inside the frame (if it's not sleeved). Again, if there's no guides inside the BB shell, use a "sleeve" made out of an old water-bottle to keep the hose&cables out of the crank axle.

And try to avoid bars with internal cable routing, they will require frequent replacement of the gear casing (tight curves=inner coating of the casing wears out)
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have these bars and circa ‘15 Campy Chorus (mech/caliper).

Cable routing was tough, but ultimately worth it.

Good luck - And please post pics if you pull it off.