User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road bike and S&S Couplers: where is the ideal location for cable splitters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Road bike and S&S Couplers: where is the ideal location for cable splitters?

Rather than start a new thread i figured id bump this older one.

I just installed ne cables on my S&S machine but didn't install splitters yet. well, now its travel time and Im considering if the splitter install is even worth it? I'd have to find some more cables since you need the end piece thingy... does anyone have experience just taking the rear brake off and disconnecting the Derailleurs? or am i nuts to think this is enough? maybe it leads to frayed and tangled shifter cables?

help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Road bike and S&S Couplers: where is the ideal location for cable splitters?

For the rear brake the splitter is helpful, but you could take off the brake pretty easily. For the derailleurs I think they're a must.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    For the rear brake the splitter is helpful, but you could take off the brake pretty easily. For the derailleurs I think they're a must.
    i kinda assumed as much, thanks for confirming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're not a must but they sure do make re-assembling the bike on a hotel floor a whole lot easier with no need to tune the gears or adjust the brakes. Once a front derailleur cable has been clamped it seems to fray never wants to clamp in the same spot again. Considering how easy it is to add the splitters I'd rather do it at home with your full range of tools and workbench than on the road with a multitool and a burning desire to go exploring on the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping the thread again...

I like the snag-free/clean look of internal cable routing -AND- I can see the desirability of S&S coupled bike for the convenience and less-hassle of travel with bike. Are these two mutually exclusive, meaning you canít have both at the same time?

I understand that Di2 could be internally routed even with S&S, but what about cable-actuated hydraulic brakes (TRP HY/RD).

Iím getting an All-Road (wide tire, drop bar) bike built and looking to see what is achievable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0hickey View Post
    Bumping the thread again...

I like the snag-free/clean look of internal cable routing -AND- I can see the desirability of S&S coupled bike for the convenience and less-hassle of travel with bike. Are these two mutually exclusive, meaning you can’t have both at the same time?

I understand that Di2 could be internally routed even with S&S, but what about cable-actuated hydraulic brakes (TRP HY/RD).

I’m getting an All-Road (wide tire, drop bar) bike built and looking to see what is achievable.
    I have a coupled bike with cable disc brakes (Spyre) and full length (external) housing. Removing the cable from the brake, rolling it up, and re-running it at my destination is pretty easy. If you tin the end of the cable, it'll stop it from fraying without a cable end crimp. Not quite as easy as a cable splitter, but cable actuated disc brakes are pretty simple to get right. If you really want internal routing, one suggestion would be to run it internal to the down tube, but have it exit before the coupler. Any solution that involves internal routing through the coupler is going to be a hassle.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooh, have no idea how an internal cable frame would work, but it seems problematic. Having the splitter below where it exits the frame as mentioned above seems to be the way to go, though.

My S&S Hampsten has open cable stops and I don't use a splitter on the rear brake - just unscrew the brake bolt from the rear bridge and go that way. No idea how discs would work, but again seems a bit more problematic imo.

I've run the shifter splitters down low as others have mentioned, but do get some rattling. I think I'm going to try them up high, just below the DT cable stops and see how that goes. Am also wondering if it could work without shifter splitters at all, just keeping the front and rear halves of the frame connected through the cables when the thing is packed and see if that could work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    I run the shifter cables with the splitters low on the downtube. I added a second rubber washer (get at any hardware store) to each splitter to keep the noise to a minimum.

Decided to not use splitters for the brake cables. It just made me a little uneasy, considering safety issues.
    We're using splitters on our tandem, including the rear brake (We remove a v-brake arm to disassemble the front). If our experience (loaded descents of alpine passes) is any indication, you should be ok.

+1 on slotted cable stops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of all the little nicks and dings you'll get from packing, the "damage" from the splitters won't even register.
    ^^^This.

fwiw I found the splitters on the downtube made less noise when I lined them up with the coupler than when they were against the tube. I've heard some folks claim that can impact shifting but I never noticed a difference.

Oh, and this (below) is the best advice about a coupled bike ever:

If your frame hasn't been fabricated yet, I'd advise you to request open cable stops without adjusters so you can pop the cable house completely out of the stops. My first S&S was this way and I used inline adjusters for the front derailleur. My current frame has regular stops with cable tension adjusters and it makes packing a bit tougher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
    I have a coupled bike with cable disc brakes (Spyre) and full length (external) housing. Removing the cable from the brake, rolling it up, and re-running it at my destination is pretty easy. If you tin the end of the cable, it'll stop it from fraying without a cable end crimp. Not quite as easy as a cable splitter, but cable actuated disc brakes are pretty simple to get right. If you really want internal routing, one suggestion would be to run it internal to the down tube, but have it exit before the coupler. Any solution that involves internal routing through the coupler is going to be a hassle.
    I like your idea! You get the benefit of internal cable runs at the front and the cable has to exit once it nears the rear triangle.
    Plus removing the cable means the brake is still centered/aligned with the disc after reassembly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not an answer to the question but a tip. I always cut my cables at different lengths so the splitters aren't next to each other. When reassembling it is more obvious which cables to connect.

Wouldn't doing internal routing mean at some point the splitter would have to go through the frame? I think the only practical way might be to undo the cable at the brakes and derailleurs. That would mean reattaching and adjusting every time. Wait, maybe not just slotted cable stops but a slotted frame. But seriously the assembling and packing stages are not my favorite part of having an S&S bike. Splitters make it easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this place. Necro thread mining is a joy.

Is anyone aware of a closed cable stop which plugs into hydro guides? The opposite of this >> https://www.amazon.com/Juscycling-Hy.../dp/B07L21FBX3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Too Tall; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I love this place. Necro thread mining is a joy.

Is anyone aware of a closed cable stop which plugs into hydro guides? The opposite of this >> https://www.amazon.com/Juscycling-Hy.../dp/B07L21FBX3
    Turn it over so the opening is against the frame? I don't know if that actually works with the route you want for the cable, or if it is just annoying.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From your description it sounds like you want flanged housing ends that fit into frame guides turning them into housing stops - I’ve used step-down ferrules to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Beaudoin View Post
    From your description it sounds like you want flanged housing ends that fit into frame guides turning them into housing stops - I’ve used step-down ferrules to do that.
    Ah I misunderstood as per usual. Something like this you mean?

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, something more like that Jake. Location is about mid-point along the top tube where the S&S is located. The "issue" with these double stops is that there is nothing to hold them in place when you brake. It's looking like I'll need to make what I need or braze a couple open stops in place of the hydro guides.

Tandems, just like all the unperfected orchestral instruments. Awesome and "special".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would these Jagwire stoppers work for your purpose?

Also for those with downtube bosses that wish they had slit cable stops there are these from IRD and others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Tandems, just like all the unperfected orchestral instruments. Awesome and "special".
    My kingdom for a Wagner tuba, ophicleide, or a sarrusophone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12