User Tag List

Thread: Recommended gap between bearing cap and top cup for CK NoThreadSet headset

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recommended gap between bearing cap and top cup for CK NoThreadSet headset

What is the recommended gap between bearing cap and top cup for Chris King NoThreadSet headset (1-1/8'')?

Googled around, some said ~1mm, while others said anywhere between 0.5-1mm. The official CK manual doesn't say anything: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/29...63412763896395

Look for confirmation from experienced hands

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommended gap between bearing cap and top cup for CK NoThreadSet headset

It’s not adjustable. I think around 1mm is about right. The newer style assemblies have a little more gap than the old style. If you suspect your gap is not ideal, check assembly order. The newer caps with the split rings can get jammed up sometimes. Add grease, reassemble, check again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Recommended gap between bearing cap and top cup for CK NoThreadSet headset

Thanks. The gap is adjustable through the top cap bolt when pre-loading the bearings, no? Mine is the newer version that comes with the GripLock assembly. I've found that even with a smaller gap somewhere 0.5-1mm, the fork still rotates freely without noticeable binding, though I'm not sure whether it's optimal for the bearings internally hence my question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amaro View Post
    Thanks. The gap is adjustable through the top cap bolt when pre-loading the bearings, no? Mine is the newer version that comes with the GripLock assembly. I've found that even with a smaller gap somewhere 0.5-1mm, the fork still rotates freely without noticeable binding, though I'm not sure whether it's optimal for the bearings internally hence my question.
    No, the gap has nothing to do with where the correct pre-load on the bearings is. The space is just based on the machining of the parts.

The preload is happening to both the top and bottom at the same time, no need to fixate on what the gap is visible on top.
    Both top and bottom bearings are being drawn into their fixed plates on the steerer as the preload is increased.

All that is important is the contact between both the chamfers and the bearings. Tighten the pre-load until there is a tiny bit
    of play, and check that the amount is the same across the range of motion by rotating the bars. Turn the wheel sideways,
    apply the front brake and rock the whole assembly. Once you're sure there is a little play in the bearings, tighten a little more
    until there is zero play. You don't want play, and you don't want too much pre-load, so go slow, repeat a few times until the
    play is gone, but it should still feel smooth to swing sideways.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn’t think of that as a gap adjustment but rather as a bearing preload adjustment. One affects the other but they are not the same. The torque requirement is crazy low for the bearing preload. I know there’s a bunch of different ways to check this, use one that works for you and I would recommend coming to peace with what the gap is afterwards!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    No, the gap has nothing to do with where the correct pre-load on the bearings is. The space is just based on the machining of the parts.

The preload is happening to both the top and bottom at the same time, no need to fixate on what the gap is visible on top.
    Both top and bottom bearings are being drawn into their fixed plates on the steerer as the preload is increased.

All that is important is the contact between both the chamfers and the bearings. Tighten the pre-load until there is a tiny bit
    of play, and check that the amount is the same across the range of motion by rotating the bars. Turn the wheel sideways,
    apply the front brake and rock the whole assembly. Once you're sure there is a little play in the bearings, tighten a little more
    until there is zero play. You don't want play, and you don't want too much pre-load, so go slow, repeat a few times until the
    play is gone, but it should still feel smooth to swing sideways.

-g
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcwgo View Post
    I wouldn’t think of that as a gap adjustment but rather as a bearing preload adjustment. One affects the other but they are not the same. The torque requirement is crazy low for the bearing preload. I know there’s a bunch of different ways to check this, use one that works for you and I would recommend coming to peace with what the gap is afterwards!
    Thanks for the advices. I agree with you that the issue here is not the absolute width of the gap but the proper amount pre-load on the bearings. I just want to use the gap as a proxy to gauge the proper amount of pre-load, not for any aesthetic reason.

An update after some adjustment. Now the gap is about 0.67mm (according to my caliper). No play when pressing the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth. Lifting the front-end of the bike by the TT the fork stays straight (60mm-trail road bike), but tilting the bike by the saddle slightly sideway (~80˚) with both wheels on the ground the fork starts to turn to the same side by itself. Not sure if the fork staying straight while lifted up is due to the relatively tight cabling under the bars or headset binding. Turning the handlebars feels smooth, but a little tricky to judge how light the action should be..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

loose enough that it turns freely without perceivable binding, but tight enough that it doesn't doesn't rock, nor rattle when you drop the front end on the ground.
    -Dustin