User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packable chain pliers. Are they necessary?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Packable chain pliers. Are they necessary?

What is it that I don't get about the usefulness of chain pliers on the trail? I've been riding mountain bikes for nearly 30 years and have been doing just fine with a mini chain tool for the duration. In that time, I've had a few twisted chains, popped outer plates and broken quick links (SRAM) and my solution has always been the same; remove the offending amount of chain and reassemble. I still carry my difficult to use but effective chain pup, a couple of pins and a Shimano master link. If I have to use the master link, I'll assemble it above the stay and use crank pressure to pop into place.

What type of situation would have to present itself to need to remove a reuse-able master link trailside?
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Packable chain pliers. Are they necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    What is it that I don't get about the usefulness of chain pliers on the trail? I've been riding mountain bikes for nearly 30 years and have been doing just fine with a mini chain tool for the duration. In that time, I've had a few twisted chains, popped outer plates and broken quick links (SRAM) and my solution has always been the same; remove the offending amount of chain and reassemble. I still carry my difficult to use but effective chain pup, a couple of pins and a Shimano master link. If I have to use the master link, I'll assemble it above the stay and use crank pressure to pop into place.

What type of situation would have to present itself to need to remove a reuse-able master link trailside?
    Ignorance and not enough hugs as a child. Just a guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I've been considering the same thing. The only thing I could think of is if you packing your bike in a box and flying with it and you want something smaller than the normal pliers.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Yeah, I've been considering the same thing. The only thing I could think of is if you packing your bike in a box and flying with it and you want something smaller than the normal pliers.
    This is why I have a set. They're in my travel kit so that if I need to swap a chain in a hotel I have an easier time with it. I wouldn't ride with them, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought one, hope to never use it ... light enough and fits in my tool pouch.

I can always use more hugs.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    This is why I have a set. They're in my travel kit so that if I need to swap a chain in a hotel I have an easier time with it. I wouldn't ride with them, though.
    I keep my full-size Park master link pliers in my S&S case but am not planning on bringing them or a cuter version on my upcoming tour. Chain tool and spare links will do the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a bike mechanic, I carry one of these with me on every ride.images.jpg
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought and installed a Shimano master link for the first time a couple of months ago. Man, was it a bear to put on. I ended up using a Park master link plier, which I thought I was going to break because I was jamming on it so hard. It sure didn't behave like a KMC link. I've since read one other person on line who had the same experience. I don't know what your experience using the Shimano link might be, but I'm wondering how tricky it might be using crank pressure to snap it in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally get it for packing a bike. We have managed twice now to have a chain so wrapped up that I had to break the chain to sort it out. The chain looked like a cruel joke. Luckily both times were on the trip home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just bought one of those Wolftooth lightweight/portable link plier things. I have never had an issue, but I've had recurring nightmares of needing chain surgery somewhere far away. I know, I know, a chain tool will do it all, but this is extra insurance. Plus, it is fun to play with!
    Andy Cohen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are chain pliers.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mingc View Post
    I bought and installed a Shimano master link for the first time a couple of months ago. Man, was it a bear to put on. I ended up using a Park master link plier, which I thought I was going to break because I was jamming on it so hard. It sure didn't behave like a KMC link. I've since read one other person on line who had the same experience. I don't know what your experience using the Shimano link might be, but I'm wondering how tricky it might be using crank pressure to snap it in place.
    My experience with installing the Shimano link (11-speed) has been very uneventful -- very easy. BTW, KMC manufactures for Shimano.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for the Wolf Tooth pliers. I replaced my tyre lever in my saddle bag with these - they work as a tyre lever, hold two quick links and are a perfect set of pliers. They actually weigh less and take up less space than my old tyre levers so that's a plus as well. Plus they protect the links over time whereas the cardboard packaging or a plastic baggy to hold one or two of those tends to degrade over the course of a year. I've used them twice on bike camping expeditions as a set of pliers and numerous other times as a tyre lever.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Instagram

Travel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    My experience with installing the Shimano link (11-speed) has been very uneventful -- very easy. BTW, KMC manufactures for Shimano.
    My experience has been similar to Chik. No easier, no worst than any others...which means it was pretty easy.

Until I read this thread I didn't know that there was such thing as 'packable chain pliers' (not counting packing tools for shipping bikes). For me a chain issue on a ride meant some work with an actual small chain tool as described by the OP. And generally this was do to an unexpected encounter with a slick or rock while in the woods.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    +1 for the Wolf Tooth pliers. I replaced my tyre lever in my saddle bag with these - they work as a tyre lever, hold two quick links and are a perfect set of pliers. They actually weigh less and take up less space than my old tyre levers so that's a plus as well. Plus they protect the links over time whereas the cardboard packaging or a plastic baggy to hold one or two of those tends to degrade over the course of a year. I've used them twice on bike camping expeditions as a set of pliers and numerous other times as a tyre lever.
    This is funny, when I emptied out my flat kit on the gravel grindrr to put the links in the new Wolf tooth pliers, the paper packaging had rotted from moisture and gave the whole kit a nice funk. Won't miss that . . . Also enabled me to get rid of the valve core remover I was carrying around.
    Andy Cohen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On this rec I just bought them.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    On this rec I just bought them.
    I'll contact Wolf Tooth for my commission.

And yes, I forgot to mention (because I don't run tubeless) that they have a valve core remover. Solid addition to the saddle bag in my opinion - you only have to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken chain once to appreciate the value of a good set of chain pliers..
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Instagram

Travel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a possible misalignment of the plates over the pins.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like something I need too.

I'll contact Wolf Tooth for my commission.

And yes, I forgot to mention (because I don't run tubeless) that they have a valve core remover. Solid addition to the saddle bag in my opinion - you only have to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken chain once to appreciate the value of a good set of chain pliers..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the wolf tooth ones

The shimano links can be crazy stiff so Iím happy.