Thread: Old Ti Frame- help diagnosing issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Old Ti Frame- help diagnosing issues

Hello friends,
    I'm writing for help diagnosing a titanium frame.

I was lucky enough to get a beautiful old titanium Miyata frame (for free!), from roughly 1991, very similar to this: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MTYAAO...Mp/s-l640.jpg/. The tubing is titanium, with alu lugs, and glue holding it together. The fork was alu, but I swapped it out for a Nashbar carbon (which instantly improved the ride a lot)

I built up wheels and put pretty nice (older ultegra components) across the board and got it to 19 pounds.
    I've loved and babied it for a couple of years now, but have pretty major bottom bracket area issues- whenever I stand to pedal there is a lot of clicking, and it feels like the whole frame is moving. Bottom bracket itself is fairly new, outboard cup style. I replaced one pre-maturely to see if that fixed the problem, but it didn't.

My question is for people who know a bit about this older construction: Does the glue degrade, and does it makes sense that it would in the BB area, as that joint takes a ton of stress? Is there any hope at repairing this? What does worst case scenario failure look like?

Thanks for everyone's expertise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Old Ti Frame- help diagnosing issues

Yes glue degrades. Yes BB is where a lot of bonded bikes of that era failed. Never saw any get repaired. Most were replaced under warranty. Too much liability at that point. Worst case scenario failure is you on the ground and your bike in pieces. Don't ride it any more. It isn't safe. Find someone who is willing to repair it (perhaps someone who repairs/restores the old Vitus frames) or hang it on the wall.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^what he said^

srsly
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, i'm sure it has some sentimental value, but a bonded ti frame from 1991 is really not even close to a representation of what a modern ti frame from a reputable builder will ride like. consider the years of riding that "free" bike a gift and treat yourself to something new and sexy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the collective sobering analysis. I'm sad, though appreciative of you all taking the time to offer input, and talk me into not riding until it fails and I hurt myself.
    I'm going to strip it down tonight, and figure what my next move is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

good call. you can snag a modern frame for a song these days and slap on your old gruppo and wheels without a hitch. will totally blow away the old frame, especially if you are a bigger guy on a larger frame size (i.e. the noodly ride of older small-diameter tubing in larger bikes especially has been replaced by snappy, rock solid, yet somehow still forgiving stuff)

edit: of course for the record, have to add that nothing rides better than my 93 steel Giordana, but it's slightly OS tubing, and an itty bitty 52x53.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Harry Havnoonian was the place to get your Vitus re-glued, back in the day.

Bicycle Frame Repairs | HH Bicycles | HH Racing Group
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've reached out to Harry Havnoonian, just to see what cost may be.
    I know this is a pandora's box, but any thoughts on a fairly inexpensive relaxed geometry steel/ti frame with disc capability, and ability to fit as wide as 32mm tires, which could be built up fairly light, sub 23lbs or so?? I was checking out Gunnar and other frames.
    Thanks everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for a while, but its awesome how active it is and the sheer amount of knowledge and experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of good comes out of Waterford. You'd get a nice frame well designed then make your weight difference in parts and wheels. Along with Gunnar, they also do the fabricating for Boulder Bicycle (Rene Herse Bicycles) - check out the Sport model - and Ben's/Milwaukee Bicycles.

Also look at Alliance Bicycles in Idaho, Rosko Racing Frames out of NYC, and any of the terrific builders in the gallery and Smoked Out sections of the forum here.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sold a lot of these frames. All of them failed eventually. The Miyata distributors in Canada came up with a bonding agent that truly worked well. I don't know what kind of epoxy it was, but they would disassemble the frame at the affected lug, clean all of the existing glue from the lug and tube, apply the new agent and re-assemble. It worked well. The only extra bit was that they set a rivet or two into the lug where they weren't really visible to prevent the lug from coming apart at a future date.

My suggestion would therefore be to do some research into the very best bonding agents out there today. If there was one that worked in the 90's there will be one that works today too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right hand on stem bar junction, left hand on seat, right or left foot on pedal at 6:00 position push had with foot this is diagnosis

I have never seen a re epoxied frame last more then a few years more

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,
    I wanted to follow up with an update and real appreciation.

I wound up putting the groupo on a 1991 (ish) steel Team Miyata frame, which rides nicely. The ti frame is now mounted on my wall, as a very pretty bottle opener.
    I'm glad I didn't ride it until failure, and really appreciate the collective wisdom! Next step is convincing my partner that I need just one more bike...
    Thanks to you all and all the best!!

IMG_20160706_124204.jpg