User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Nuts!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, United States
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Nuts!

    Fer all you trackies out there:

    Is there such a thing as a stainless axle nut?

    LBS said that they're not avail. because SS is considered too brittle for fasteners like that.

    Thanks!
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Nuts!

    Zipp - Speed Weaponry | Accessories | Components | Combination Track Nuts

    They seem to exist. I'm curious to hear what the real trackies have to say.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Nuts!

    Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Fer all you trackies out there:

    Is there such a thing as a stainless axle nut?

    LBS said that they're not avail. because SS is considered too brittle for fasteners like that.

    Thanks!
    Brittle no chance, however grades of bolts and nuts are not the same, in the commercially used grades of stainless the materials including speciality 17-4 fasteners wont have the strength traditional grades of materials do when making nuts stainless doesn't have the tensile strength but can be more ductile increasing fatigue resistance

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In da Montana Rockies
    Posts
    1,845
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Nuts!

    I wouldn't consider myself a trackie, but I have been riding on track bikes for going on 50 years now. With the quality of Shimano, Sugino, Suntour, and Campy in non stainless, I am not too sure why you would need stainless, but those Zip ones look nice. Me thinks your LBS was telling stories on stainless not being strong enough or too brittle. I have never had any of my chrome track nuts rust and some of them are 40ish years old. You just have to take care of your stuff. I figure if I can tighten an allen key Phil Wood or Allen key on my disc tight enough to not slip, you would have to gorilla torque a wrench bolt hard enough to break it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Nuts!

    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    I wouldn't consider myself a trackie, but I have been riding on track bikes for going on 50 years now. With the quality of Shimano, Sugino, Suntour, and Campy in non stainless, I am not too sure why you would need stainless, but those Zip ones look nice. Me thinks your LBS was telling stories on stainless not being strong enough or too brittle. I have never had any of my chrome track nuts rust and some of them are 40ish years old. You just have to take care of your stuff. I figure if I can tighten an allen key Phil Wood or Allen key on my disc tight enough to not slip, you would have to gorilla torque a wrench bolt hard enough to break it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Nuts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mcdermid View Post
    Brittle no chance, however grades of bolts and nuts are not the same, in the commercially used grades of stainless the materials including speciality 17-4 fasteners wont have the strength traditional grades of materials do when making nuts stainless doesn't have the tensile strength but can be more ductile increasing fatigue resistance
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    I wouldn't consider myself a trackie, but I have been riding on track bikes for going on 50 years now. With the quality of Shimano, Sugino, Suntour, and Campy in non stainless, I am not too sure why you would need stainless, but those Zip ones look nice. Me thinks your LBS was telling stories on stainless not being strong enough or too brittle. I have never had any of my chrome track nuts rust and some of them are 40ish years old. You just have to take care of your stuff. I figure if I can tighten an allen key Phil Wood or Allen key on my disc tight enough to not slip, you would have to gorilla torque a wrench bolt hard enough to break it.
    ^
    those two.
    Highest grade of steel for bolts/nuts is actually a better material than A4 SS
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London


    "Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, United States
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Nuts!

    thanks for your input ya'll.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2015, 05:19 AM
  2. This is driving me nuts - saddle setback conundrum...or is it?
    By baldbones in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 02:36 PM
  3. can google identify these nuts?
    By Human Epic Jolt in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM
  4. Pedal Squeak is driving me nuts - any ideas?
    By Mabouya in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
  5. Lock nuts?
    By Vlad Luskin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •