User Tag List

Thread: Nox Citico or Falkor 36d???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nox Citico or Falkor 36d???

Trying to decide between 24h or 28h Citicos or Falkors, and yes, I realize that this like asking a stranger what flavor ice cream i should buy. However, it's been a long time since I built up a set of 700c wheels and just stuck between these two rims.

The wheels will be used on a lightweight, go fast type build... for my local terrain (i live two miles from start of D2). They will see mostly hilly (500-1200' climbs, between 6%-25%), poorly paved or beautiful hard-packed dirt roads. Tires will mainly be 28-32ish slicks... but also the occasional file tread for dirt oriented events. Will definitely see some (but not many) club rides, a hill climb race or two and a couple of mixed-terrain races. But no gnar. Basically... a do it al set of road'ish wheels. I have two other wheelsets for gnar (650b ci24s and kom i23s), so these will not see mtb'y stuff (at least too often). I don't race cross and these will not be used by the wife as she races cross.

Also, i'm 135lbs.

Thoughts? Feelings? Should I just stick to cross country skiing?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nox Citico or Falkor 36d???

Id go citico for you unless you were interested in running proper 23-25 road tires sometimes. You could probably even go skyline, but it may be worth reaching out to nox on tire size limitations on that rim. I know enve and roval have been having some issues with 28mm road tubeless tires on wider hookless rims. I'd rule the falkor out due to the extra weight over the citico and because I didn't see the word aero anywhere in your post. What hubs and spokes are you going to use?
    So I say to youth right now. Don't sway to the unjust,
    no matter what they say, never give in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you!

Yeah, the main consideration to date has been weight, as most all of my rides end up north of 100ft/mi. That said, I’m not opposed to aero. The 70g penalty of falkors doesn’t seem too terrible... but...

Hubs/spokes: likely i9 or King; spokes ether be the typical revolution/comp combo or maybe x-rays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here’s the fork in the thread where someone waltzes in and makes a comment that doesn’t respond directly to the OP...

Or does it?

Next is in VT, and seems like a good value.

The Rule with your hub of choice probably fits the bill.

Rule – NEXT Cycling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting... I thought Next was like Pinarello's branded component line.... but, i know very little about these things.

Do you have experience with Next? I could find very little on line about them/few reviews or mentions. That said, I have seen their wheels about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m in the same boat.

They came recommended from a top builder, but I’ve never ridden a set and as you noted, there’s not a lot of info out there.

I gather it’s a one man shop. Since Luxe wound down, I’ve been looking for a new local/regional option and I’ll probably give this a shot on an upcoming project...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are intriguing, but likely will just go with NOX. I've had great luck with their mtb rims and friends really swear by the ease of build/quality of their road rims.

Now I just need to decide on which one and whether i venture toward 24h vs. 28h.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chiming in here.

If you plan to run 28's, I'd go with the Falkor. It's plenty wide enough for any tire you want (21mm inner width), but works better with smaller (25-28mm) tires than the wider Citico. It's also more aero which is nice on go-fast rides and is still reasonably light. It's also stiffer.

The Citico is really for 'true' gravel tires IMO, that 23mm inner width is really wide for 28's or smaller. It's not even recommended to run smaller than a 28 I believe, whereas the Falkor gives you the option to use whatever size tire you want.

A 28 or even a 32 on a Citico is going to have the sidewalls really exposed and vulnerable to cuts.

The Citico has a lower pressure limit than the Falkor too.

I'd pass on the NEXT. For two reasons:
    1 - I'm still not sold on hookless rims and higher pressure road/gravel tires.
    2 - Why would they pick that name for their company, when there's already a NEXT cycling brand, and they sell shit bikes at Wal-Mart?
    Last edited by dgaddis; 11-19-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not ride clinchers on the road but based on my MTB wheels I'd recommend Nox. Not the lightest but it has been bomb proof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Chiming in here.

If you plan to run 28's, I'd go with the Falkor. It's plenty wide enough for any tire you want (21mm inner width), but works better with smaller (25-28mm) tires than the wider Citico. It's also more aero which is nice on go-fast rides and is still reasonably light. It's also stiffer.

The Citico is really for 'true' gravel tires IMO, that 23mm inner width is really wide for 28's or smaller. It's not even recommended to run smaller than a 28 I believe, whereas the Falkor gives you the option to use whatever size tire you want.

A 28 or even a 32 on a Citico is going to have the sidewalls really exposed and vulnerable to cuts.

The Citico has a lower pressure limit than the Falkor too.

I'd pass on the NEXT. For two reasons:
    1 - I'm still not sold on hookless rims and higher pressure road/gravel tires.
    2 - Why would they pick that name for their company, when there's already a NEXT cycling brand, and they sell shit bikes at Wal-Mart?
    I've had wheels built with NOX A36D (the rime before Falkor 36) and the Citico. I never like how the profile of the A36D felt in cross winds. So I sold them and had a set built with Citico. Love'em! Pay attention to what Dustin says about tire sizes. Getting a 28mm tire on there can be very challenging due to the 23mm internal width.

Should be noted that I'm NOX fan. All my wheels are currently built with NOX rims; 700 and 650B for my Firefly, and 650B for my Intense Spider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the Falkor is a much better with cross winds since it doesn't have those tall straight sidewalls.

This is the A36D.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so which rims did you end up using? how have they worked out?