Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    I'll give you $70 for it right now...
    Tempting...but shipping would be the killer.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MSC lists these at $562 -- $379.99 webprice. Good score!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's really sound, that is a very good price for a large vice!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my vice mount in today from Trick Tools. Thing is a beast! I'll be adding more of these around my shop to mount vises, truing stand, grinder, buffer etc and be able to swap them around as needed.

Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought one of those generic tools to push in barbs for hydraulic hoses. Goodbye yellow blocks, vice grips and hammers.

Will probably use it once every 5 years.

Next up:

5 or 7 drawer tool box to organize all these one off rarely used tools, and some plastic bins to store all the spare suspension parts and bleed kits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It isn't Tuesday but since the 2x4 used here is over 100 years old not everything is new either.

Couple upgrades to my wall mount bike stand. I was going to build some kind of articulating arm but this TV stand is rated to 175#'s and probably cost less than the materials I would have bought. It was really easy to mount the bike stand to the TV stand. Only 2 holes needed to be drilled. The tool holder was also easy to attach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s quite cool! Love to see more pics (For more perspective), including with a bike in the rack ... tool holder is the icing on the cake :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gladly.

The bike is all the way back.

Now the rear is out about 45°

My first goal was to have the bike pivot like this to work on the front or rear disc brakes. The Hirobel is nice when needed but when you use it you can't rotate the bike on the seatpost anymore. Extending it all the way brings the bike very close to the bench facing it (not shown) and will be convenient for when I'm disassembling bikes. There won't be the long reach, which encourages me to hold too many things in my hand, to set things down anymore.

That bike is 30lbs and there is no problem. It does bounce a little but not enough to hamper any normal maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that is awesome.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only use the hirobel for certain things. Largely just di2 diagnostics and certain road/tt bikes that don't play with a normal stand

bleeding reverb levers it helps, but for any other dropper related stuff (and mtb building) i have a bunch of modified seatposts I use insead

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well after using PB Swiss drivers and Nepros ratchets for years I would cuss every time I grabbed one of my Craftsman wrenches, sockets or even the park torque wrench. So I finally said F it and treated myself to new tools. Full set of Snapon flankdrive plus wrenches and flankdrive extra sockets, snap on 0-50 in-lb torque wrench, 40-200 in-lb torque wrench, 5-25nm torque wrench and dual 80 ratchets in all 3 sizes.

Sure wish I would have upgraded sooner, but these should last me a lifetime now.

31CF5019-3E9C-49BB-AF78-5C7A87B1ACEA.jpegA6232206-3A7E-4CB6-87F6-1251DDF658B4.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s awesome. Snap-on makes great stuff. Be careful with the flank drive plus wrenches. The open end with the little groove will leave permanent marks in most fasteners.

Are those the trays that Snap-on is providing with the wrenches now? Those look a lot nicer than the old trays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been offline most Tuesdays but here's the latest additions to the tool box. And the new tool box.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    That’s awesome. Snap-on makes great stuff. Be careful with the flank drive plus wrenches. The open end with the little groove will leave permanent marks in most fasteners.

Are those the trays that Snap-on is providing with the wrenches now? Those look a lot nicer than the old trays.
    Those are the foam trays that now come with the wrenches. They are nice, but not sure if they are the best solution for me as I still need to order wrenches in larger sizes for suspension / hydraulic work. I'm probably going to order some custom cut foam from toolbed. I've done the kaisen foam before, but its a bitch to cut and make it look good. Now that I know I won't be upgrading sockets / wrenches ever again, Its probably the time to invest in custom laser cut foam liners soon as I figure out the rest of the wrench situation.

I too am a bit concerned that the flank drive plus open ends are going to be a bit too aggressive on those precision aluminum fasteners (suspension and seat post rebuilds especially), so thinking a set of ratcheting wrenches with the standard open ends my be the ticket for those, but not sure what direction I will take yet.

Pretty impressed with the quality especially after coming from older USA made craftsman. I ordered a full set of SAE and Metric ¼ and ⅜ drive in shallow and deep. Still waiting on a few items to arrive as all the shipping to the PNW seems to be delayed due to the fires. After receiving these I think I will probably invest in the same for ½ and probably the mid lengths sockets in the ¼ and ⅜ as I use those sizes the most. I have used the crap out of my PBSwiss hex and tore drivers and they are still going strong and I love them, but considering the Snap-on long torx set in ¼ as PBSwiss only makes their Torx sockets in ⅜ and now all of my torque wrenches in that size use ¼ drive.

I will say after using the Snap-on ratchets, I still prefer the Nepros.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantGunderson View Post
    Those are the foam trays that now come with the wrenches. They are nice, but not sure if they are the best solution for me as I still need to order wrenches in larger sizes for suspension / hydraulic work. I'm probably going to order some custom cut foam from toolbed. I've done the kaisen foam before, but its a bitch to cut and make it look good. Now that I know I won't be upgrading sockets / wrenches ever again, Its probably the time to invest in custom laser cut foam liners soon as I figure out the rest of the wrench situation.

I too am a bit concerned that the flank drive plus open ends are going to be a bit too aggressive on those precision aluminum fasteners (suspension and seat post rebuilds especially), so thinking a set of ratcheting wrenches with the standard open ends my be the ticket for those, but not sure what direction I will take yet.

Pretty impressed with the quality especially after coming from older USA made craftsman. I ordered a full set of SAE and Metric ¼ and ⅜ drive in shallow and deep. Still waiting on a few items to arrive as all the shipping to the PNW seems to be delayed due to the fires. After receiving these I think I will probably invest in the same for ½ and probably the mid lengths sockets in the ¼ and ⅜ as I use those sizes the most. I have used the crap out of my PBSwiss hex and tore drivers and they are still going strong and I love them, but considering the Snap-on long torx set in ¼ as PBSwiss only makes their Torx sockets in ⅜ and now all of my torque wrenches in that size use ¼ drive.

I will say after using the Snap-on ratchets, I still prefer the Nepros.
    snap on ratchets can take a bit to break in. There is other stuff that feels as smooth, but nothing where I can text my dealer and get it fixed asap

I have the same set of flank drive wrenches, and use them for everything but suspension work. For those delicate aluminum fastners something less aggressive would be better. The flankdrive sockets are amazing, but can be hard to get onto some really fucked axle nuts and stuff. For those the extra bite of the wrenches goes a long way

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    snap on ratchets can take a bit to break in. There is other stuff that feels as smooth, but nothing where I can text my dealer and get it fixed asap

I have the same set of flank drive wrenches, and use them for everything but suspension work. For those delicate aluminum fastners something less aggressive would be better. The flankdrive sockets are amazing, but can be hard to get onto some really fucked axle nuts and stuff. For those the extra bite of the wrenches goes a long way
    Agreed. The low torque open end Snapon might be just the ticket for suspension. The thing with the Nepros ratchets is they are higher engagement, Lower back drag and are way more compact... that being said I’ll probably pick up a TZero and Fzero to try out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    It isn't Tuesday but since the 2x4 used here is over 100 years old not everything is new either.

Couple upgrades to my wall mount bike stand. I was going to build some kind of articulating arm but this TV stand is rated to 175#'s and probably cost less than the materials I would have bought. It was really easy to mount the bike stand to the TV stand. Only 2 holes needed to be drilled. The tool holder was also easy to attach.

The real important thing is the poster in the background. I saw them a bunch of times at The Fireside.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised that you could pick out my autographed Tiffany poster from what little is showing. She used to kill at the Fireside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Campagnolo tool almost fits but it is really too big for the TA lockring.