User Tag List

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 914

Thread: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

  1. #861
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by watchcwgo View Post
    I have that wiha ratchet, the mechanism isnt strong enough, starts slipping around 4-5nm. I have a felo, some snap on and some Prestacycle ratchets and I haven’t found a torque limit on those yet.
    It looks very similar to the Wera Zyklop mini, which is rated to over 50Nm they say surely, can handle a lot more torque than you can exert with the short leverage. It's a brilliant tool that I'm happy to have in my work tray, but it's a bit heavy to carry along (I'd probably have the Topeak mini ratchet, which is a tad longer and has the 1/4" hex on the long side)
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London


    "Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

  2. #862
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
    What disc truing tool is that?

    M
    My own design. It's a bit soft on the pad spreader end being made of 6061 so I'm looking into making it out of stainless. A buddy of mine laser cut the top 3, the bottom one I made by hand.

    Erik Suttles

    20%er

  3. #863
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    1,175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    My own design. It's a bit soft on the pad spreader end being made of 6061 so I'm looking into making it out of stainless. A buddy of mine laser cut the top 3, the bottom one I made by hand.

    Very nice.

    I found a swivel head Snap On 1/4" ratchet on a ride. Bought some Wiha 1/4" impact bits.

    Since I started working for a VeloFix franchise, I moved the ratchet and bits to the van. Missed having them at home, so bought another ratchet and bits.

    M
     

  4. #864
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    It looks very similar to the Wera Zyklop mini, which is rated to over 50Nm they say surely, can handle a lot more torque than you can exert with the short leverage. It's a brilliant tool that I'm happy to have in my work tray, but it's a bit heavy to carry along (I'd probably have the Topeak mini ratchet, which is a tad longer and has the 1/4" hex on the long side)
    Apparently I have all three. The Topeak is on the left, Prestacycle on the right. I use it with the DeWalt magnetic extension as my carpentry work has taught me they hold up better than most being forged in one piece. The other extension comes in the Prestacycle kit.



    While I agree the Topeak is significantly smaller and would be a better carry-along tool, my big hands like the Prestacycle and I'll be using it for my event pack.
    Erik Suttles

    20%er

  5. #865
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pagosa Springs, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Again to step up my mobile tool game I just received the Silca Folio T-wrench set.



    While the folio works well and even has some room for extra bits I'll be figuring out my own storage solution. Does have a nice look hanging there though.



    Here's the event pack I've been working on. Most of the tools are new.



    A few of the smaller pieces will be stored inside a polycarbonate tube I'm still waiting for. If anyone has suggestions for a good molle sling to put it on, I'm all ears. Not sure whether chest or hip mount would be more comfortable.
    Erik Suttles

    20%er

  6. #866
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    This is my everyday tool-belt. Those tools live with me, they can get used over one hundred times per day.

    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London


    "Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

  7. #867
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    1,899
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Can you lay out what’s in there? It’s hard to see what the metal thing in behind the coils of the mechanics picks are
     

  8. #868
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    the crescent city
    Posts
    1,212
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    ok, I guess if you're replacing a rotor, it might make sense, but what other routine bike maintenance/tune-up tasks are better served by an impact tool that could drive deck screws? and it's not like even the 12v aren't heavy. serious question

    along the same lines, I'm one of those old farts still using a 3-way, and while I can see the usefulness of a ratchet system in a mobile setting (maybe), how is changing out bits or grabbing a second or third ratchet more efficient than flipping a 3 way? I might pick up a mini ratchet for the home shop but there's something to be said for a single tool used for 75% of tasks supplemented by a couple others versus bit-swapping (where do you keep the bits waiting to be used, for example). again a serious question as I'm about to snag a new 3 way but am intrigued (while on that topic, any favorite new 3 or 4 ways? the abbey looks beautiful, as usual, maybe too rich for my cheap self...)

    I realize as I finish that this may be thread drift not in keeping with the spirit of the OP. maybe we'll start a side thread for further discussion of nice ratchets, etc
     

  9. #869
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    1,175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    ok, I guess if you're replacing a rotor, it might make sense, but what other routine bike maintenance/tune-up tasks are better served by an impact tool that could drive deck screws? and it's not like even the 12v aren't heavy. serious question

    along the same lines, I'm one of those old farts still using a 3-way, and while I can see the usefulness of a ratchet system in a mobile setting (maybe), how is changing out bits or grabbing a second or third ratchet more efficient than flipping a 3 way? I might pick up a mini ratchet for the home shop but there's something to be said for a single tool used for 75% of tasks supplemented by a couple others versus bit-swapping (where do you keep the bits waiting to be used, for example). again a serious question as I'm about to snag a new 3 way but am intrigued (while on that topic, any favorite new 3 or 4 ways? the abbey looks beautiful, as usual, maybe too rich for my cheap self...)

    I realize as I finish that this may be thread drift not in keeping with the spirit of the OP. maybe we'll start a side thread for further discussion of nice ratchets, etc
    IDK about anyone else, but I've pretty much despised 3-way wrenches since I started working on bikes in the early 90s. Never have the right end 'out' and have to fiddle with it. Somehow, the folding wrench sets don't aggravate me as much.

    My 'go to' wrench has been the Snap-On rotating head wrench lately. Bits are stored on the top of the magnet that hold the rest of the tools or on the workbench where I left em.

    If I have bolts needing to be snugged down like rotor bolts, I break out the 1/4" impact driver. Fits the same bits as the Snap-On ratchet.

    I've also used the 3/8" impact wrench to loosen stubborn BBs.

    ...but I'm also in a shop setting 90% of the time where speed is an important consideration.

    M
     

  10. #870
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    1,899
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    I use the ratchet whenever possible, same with the impact driver. I have the Milwaukee m12 fuel hex driver, and it’s awesome for a ton of stuff. Not only is it faster, but it cuts down on hand strain as well with repetitive jobs.

    Now days I really only use the loose keys for minor final adjustments.

    I also use tri tools, specifically for rim brake setup as I don’t think there is anything better for doing brake pads

    Edit- I should add that modern impact drivers are awesome because of the variable speed settings. At low, my driver will never even come close to hitting final torque on a fastener, but on high I can pull rusted ass v brake bolts out without any effort
     

  11. #871
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    ok, I guess if you're replacing a rotor, it might make sense, but what other routine bike maintenance/tune-up tasks are better served by an impact tool that could drive deck screws? and it's not like even the 12v aren't heavy. serious question

    along the same lines, I'm one of those old farts still using a 3-way, and while I can see the usefulness of a ratchet system in a mobile setting (maybe), how is changing out bits or grabbing a second or third ratchet more efficient than flipping a 3 way? I might pick up a mini ratchet for the home shop but there's something to be said for a single tool used for 75% of tasks supplemented by a couple others versus bit-swapping (where do you keep the bits waiting to be used, for example). again a serious question as I'm about to snag a new 3 way but am intrigued (while on that topic, any favorite new 3 or 4 ways? the abbey looks beautiful, as usual, maybe too rich for my cheap self...)

    I realize as I finish that this may be thread drift not in keeping with the spirit of the OP. maybe we'll start a side thread for further discussion of nice ratchets, etc
    Three-way Hex Wrench 4, 5, 6mm – 1781/2HX | Unior USA

    I prefer the tips of Unior’s over Park/ Pedro’s.

    Prestacycle has a new 3-way with a quick-release mechanism built in to each...side?...so that you can swap bits out.

    However, this little thing has replaced 3-way duties for me - Multitool EURO7 – 1655EURO7-US | Unior USA
    It’s got everything I need to work on our team bikes in a pinch, including the elusive 1.5mm hex.
    -Dustin

  12. #872
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Picked up a few new Nepros 90 tooth ratchets. These things are the cats meow. Smoother and way more compact than anything else on the market. The 3/8 drive is also the same size as the 1/4 drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
     

  13. #873
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    Can you lay out what’s in there? It’s hard to see what the metal thing in behind the coils of the mechanics picks are


    A few things are inside the pocket of this battered tool-belt.
    I'm the only one here using such arrangement, my colleagues when using an apron would only keep a couple of tools in, but not much at all.
    We all have different ways to work, a 3-way slows me down and gets my wrists tired, so I prefer to use "p-handle" allen keys for the common sizes, plus another set of low-profile allens. The P-handles on top-left are Facom, the allens in the bottom-right are Wera (6 & 5mm were in use while this pic was taken). The 2mm hex and Ph1/Ph2 screwdrivers are Wiha.
    Then a small T30 for those fiddly chainring bolts. A pair of small-ish Knipex pliers that I use all the time (most often I will cut gear wires with them), Wiha electrician scissors, inside the pocket are two combination spanners with ratchet ring, 8 & 10mm for mudguards and racks and some brakes. And the Wera mini-ratchet with a 5mm hex on, great for fitting brakes/FD's (or tri-bars) where space is limited.
    To the bottom right is a cheapish 15 spanner with 14&15mm socket, we do a lot of nutted wheels here, also great for the crank puller. Right there is a t-handle with a 1/4" square shank (mostly, has a 10mm long hex socket), made with a fork steerer welded onto it, the "mechanic pick" (I call it "podger") has a magnet so lives inside it, gets used many times a day.
    Pen and a Sharpie.

    Weights a bit, but I'm used to.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London


    "Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

  14. #874
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    I trust my colleague in the workshop and most of the shop-floor guys, but not all of them nor the handyman that sometimes comes around...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London


    "Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

  15. #875
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    1,175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    It's not Tues, but an Enduro BRT-003 showed up today


    Had one at my last shop and it certainly beats beating on bearings with a hammer

    M
     

  16. #876
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    1,899
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    I trust my colleague in the workshop and most of the shop-floor guys, but not all of them nor the handyman that sometimes comes around...
    I love that sticker
     

  17. #877
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    1,899
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post


    A few things are inside the pocket of this battered tool-belt.
    I'm the only one here using such arrangement, my colleagues when using an apron would only keep a couple of tools in, but not much at all.
    We all have different ways to work, a 3-way slows me down and gets my wrists tired, so I prefer to use "p-handle" allen keys for the common sizes, plus another set of low-profile allens. The P-handles on top-left are Facom, the allens in the bottom-right are Wera (6 & 5mm were in use while this pic was taken). The 2mm hex and Ph1/Ph2 screwdrivers are Wiha.
    Then a small T30 for those fiddly chainring bolts. A pair of small-ish Knipex pliers that I use all the time (most often I will cut gear wires with them), Wiha electrician scissors, inside the pocket are two combination spanners with ratchet ring, 8 & 10mm for mudguards and racks and some brakes. And the Wera mini-ratchet with a 5mm hex on, great for fitting brakes/FD's (or tri-bars) where space is limited.
    To the bottom right is a cheapish 15 spanner with 14&15mm socket, we do a lot of nutted wheels here, also great for the crank puller. Right there is a t-handle with a 1/4" square shank (mostly, has a 10mm long hex socket), made with a fork steerer welded onto it, the "mechanic pick" (I call it "podger") has a magnet so lives inside it, gets used many times a day.
    Pen and a Sharpie.

    Weights a bit, but I'm used to.
    Always interesting to see how others work. Are you usually pretty static on one stand or are you moving around a bunch? You have enough in that belt to do almost any service
     

  18. #878
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
    It's not Tues, but an Enduro BRT-003 showed up today


    Had one at my last shop and it certainly beats beating on bearings with a hammer

    M
    We got a similar tool, it's night to day difference.
    You can also replace the bearings in most PF cups with it. Highly recommended!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London


    "Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

  19. #879
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    Always interesting to see how others work. Are you usually pretty static on one stand or are you moving around a bunch? You have enough in that belt to do almost any service
    I'm left-handed, my right hand holds the things while the left hand fettles with the tools. Most of the work is done at the workstand, so not moving around much.
    All those tools are what's in need almost all the time for road/CX/Mtb bikes, the usual adjustments/dismantling. I'm not carrying on me the heavy artillery, though
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London


    "Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

  20. #880
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    1,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

    I've been trying to move to go packless while riding mountain bikes as much as possible. For most of the past year, I've been strapping tools, pump and UV water treatment to the bike. It feels like winter arrived early in Oregon, trails have been too muddy for riding and I learned that I like the concept, if not the actual tool, of the OneUP EDC system so I spent a little time hacking apart and rebuilding my Silca pocket Imperio and Dynaplug racer to work with the OneUP steerer plug.

    I reused the Silca 1-way valve and valve seal but made a new head and handle. The Dynaplug tool fits within the pump shaft and a dozen standard and mega-plugs are in wax paper stored in the handle.

    IMG_2263 by Sean Chaney, on Flickr

    IMG_2265 by Sean Chaney, on Flickr

    IMG_2266 by Sean Chaney, on Flickr
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Similar Threads

  1. Back in the Day: show your pics
    By mimbresman in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-19-2017, 05:12 AM
  2. Show your tool modifications
    By Curt Goodrich in forum The Path
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-07-2014, 04:56 PM
  3. Derailleur alignment tool- what's in your tool box?
    By Eric Estlund in forum The Path
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-18-2014, 02:10 PM
  4. Some pics from the Bike Cult Show in Brooklyn
    By ergott in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 06:24 PM
  5. Tuesday Morning Lights
    By burgess1108 in forum The OT
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 11:33 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •