Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

I've used the Makita impact driver and it is a handy piece of equipment. I don't do enough volume of work to need one for my bikes normally but I've used the impact and the matching drill to knock out some projects around the house.

Speaking of tools I might not need but really wanted, the man in brown is supposed to be bringing me a box of Abbey goodies later today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    I'm a Milwaukee fan but everyone is making solid options in this category.
    i got a Milwaukee because Zane has one. Zane has one because you told him to get one. You've indirectly delayed my purchase of a Decade by telling Zane about the Milwaukee setup.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Milwaukee fan but everyone is making solid options in this category.
    I liked my Milwaukee stuff well enough, but it’s laughable how my brushless Dewalt stuff outdoes it. And there’s the added bonus that the handle hasn’t sloughed off in the presence of fork oil, as my Milwaukee stuff did in six months (not warranty on the grounds that they had never seen this before).

I committed to the batteries after a short experience with the drill and small impact, and bought the big 440-ft-lb 1/2” wrench to complete the bench set. I have both 2ah and 5ah batteries for the Dewalt stuff, and don’t recharge the lighter 2ah more than about once every three weeks. The motors are so efficient that the 5ah ones live on the 1/2” impact wrench, despite the fact that I use the 1/4” a thousand times more often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super happy with my Milwaukee m12 stuff. I was pretty obsessed with finding the best stuff when I picked this kit up a number of years back and Iím glad I went with the red guys. I really like the Bosch lower volt stuff too. That said I have minimal direct experience with the 18v lines, could be a different scenario there. I did watch some YouTube reviews recently of the Milwaukee vs dewalt 3/8 impact wrenches and the Milwaukee seemed to do better in the 150 lb/ft of rusty axle and crank bolt on a car test. Iíve been stoked to see the advancements in those type of tools and that may be my next $$$ tool buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    I liked my Milwaukee stuff well enough, but it’s laughable how my brushless Dewalt stuff outdoes it. And there’s the added bonus that the handle hasn’t sloughed off in the presence of fork oil, as my Milwaukee stuff did in six months (not warranty on the grounds that they had never seen this before).

I committed to the batteries after a short experience with the drill and small impact, and bought the big 440-ft-lb 1/2” wrench to complete the bench set. I have both 2ah and 5ah batteries for the Dewalt stuff, and don’t recharge the lighter 2ah more than about once every three weeks. The motors are so efficient that the 5ah ones live on the 1/2” impact wrench, despite the fact that I use the 1/4” a thousand times more often.
    I have a LOT of DeWalt tools since I'm also a finish carpenter, everything from 2AH to 9AH FlexVolt and love it (Hot tip: The 1.5AH stuff is consumer grade junk). That said I went with Milwaukee 12V stuff for my mobile work and have been very impressed...with one caveat: Buy only the Fuel line of tools. Fuel is the red brand's professional grade brushless stuff. They make certain tools in a standard and Fuel version and there's a world of difference in not only performance but overall tool quality. The Milwaukee rotary tool (what lots of folks call a Dremel) is super handy. Mine eventually broke after years of use, but since DeWalt doesn't make one I'll be replacing it soon. I tried the only other rotary tools out there by Dremel (worked really well until left at the shop and the groms broke it) and Hitachi (overall really disappointing for power) and considering that Milwaukee also makes a cordless soldering iron and an impact wrench that many auto mechanics choose over the Snap-On...I'll stick with Red.

With any cordless tools, invest in extra batteries. Hot-swapping a depleted battery directly onto the charger kills them. Have enough extra to allow them to cool down before charging again and they'll last you for many years.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Porter cable drill batteries finally gave up the ghost so I went shopping for a new drill. I found out that PC is now owned by the yellow guys and it shown in the build quality and in reviews. I had terrible experience with the red guys and a chat with the maintenance department in my facility revealed they still don't build a tool that lasts. So I bought these. 22v system, 20 year warranty and they feel good in the hand not like cheap Transformer toys, which is what I found with everything else. Drill has a 4 speed gearbox and can handle a 6" hole saw.

IMG_2862.jpg

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone who isn't using these little impacts for various tasks is leaving money on the table. They're worth it just for rotor bolts if nothing else. I'm a Milwaukee fan but everyone is making solid options in this category.
    At the minimum, a 1/4" ratchet like the Snap-on I found on the road on Tues

Makes life SO much faster than a 'regular' wrench. Especially if you're still using a 3-way.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's not a lot of big tools for sale in the LA area and reasonable prices.
    This was an absolute steal @ $660 + $380 to move it 32 miles.
    We'll clean it up in the next week or so and then put it to use.

I'm so stoked!

IMG_4469.JPG.jpg
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are expecting some good stuff from you Tom. Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by American Star View Post
    My Porter cable drill batteries finally gave up the ghost so I went shopping for a new drill. I found out that PC is now owned by the yellow guys and it shown in the build quality and in reviews. I had terrible experience with the red guys and a chat with the maintenance department in my facility revealed they still don't build a tool that lasts. So I bought these. 22v system, 20 year warranty and they feel good in the hand not like cheap Transformer toys, which is what I found with everything else. Drill has a 4 speed gearbox and can handle a 6" hole saw.

IMG_2862.jpg

Cheers
    About 5 years ago, I bought several Hilti Li Ion powered tools. They have been used a Lot, and have been flawless.

I mostly use the drill, small impact and the beastly 1/2" impact gun. Trying to remove an axle nut on my VW hub with a 2 foot breaker bar with a 4 foot pipe slid over for leverage - wouldn't budge. Put the 1/2" Hilti on it and it spun off like there was NFS on the threads.

No more running air lines or extension cords for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While looking at solutions to reduce the bulk and weight of tools in my mobile support toolbox I came across this Wiha set.

The hope was to get rid of some proprietary spoke nipple drivers and it will...sort of. The kit covers 3/16", 5mm and 5.5mm and since the bits are their 4mm micro drive versions the extension shaft is as narrow as most other drivers, about 8mm. The only bit I can't find is the 3.2 square drive, though I'm considering cutting the shaft off the driver and shaving it down to fit the Wiha driver. The included driver is a bit weak being plastic and geared toward electronics work so I may go with the Wiha System 4 locking handle instead.

Beside all that it's an amazing kit that covers quite a bit, even pentalobe bits for Apple products, and with that Wiha quality in a steel case about the size of a paperback.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks really good. Iíve added some stuff since I last posted so Iíll get some photos when Iím back in the shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have that wiha ratchet, the mechanism isnt strong enough, starts slipping around 4-5nm. I have a felo, some snap on and some Prestacycle ratchets and I havenít found a torque limit on those yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchcwgo View Post
    I have that wiha ratchet, the mechanism isnt strong enough, starts slipping around 4-5nm. I have a felo, some snap on and some Prestacycle ratchets and I haven’t found a torque limit on those yet.
    Good to know. I wasn't planning to use the ratchet much as I also have the Prestacycle and Topeak mini ratchets. They're tiny in comparison to the chunky Wiha. Have you used the Silca Torque Tube? Was thinking of getting one for a carry-along kit.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torque tube is fine as a ride along or travel tool

Something like the effetto mariposa isnít a whole lot bigger and will be much faster doing a bunch of bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    Torque tube is fine as a ride along or travel tool

Something like the effetto mariposa isn’t a whole lot bigger and will be much faster doing a bunch of bikes
    That's definitely on my list. I may just have to get both. I'm using the PrestaCycle presets and like them a lot, but they cover a very limited range and are honestly better for a shop environment.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the Silca thing from their kickstarter. Itís ok, I have never been in a situation where I needed a torque wrench and I wasnít near one of my proper ones, so I have only used it once.

I would get any of the small 1/4 square or bit drive wrenches that are adjustable and probably skip the silca if you are using this for work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using the 1/4 Wera Zyklop and I'm pretty happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'll be using both for work. More than once while doing mobile neutral support I've been caught with all my tools still in my vehicle. I've been working on a small kit that I can keep strapped to my hip to do basic "emergency" adjustments and when I'm not working throw into a pack for my own riding. The goal is to keep it compact, relatively light, yet still keep a lot of versatility. The PrestaCycle ratchet fits that bill well, the Silca Torque tube would only add a bit more bulk.

I've admired the Giustaforza tools for years though I've never used one. The shops I've worked for never had one and I've been getting by with a Birzman analog or Park beam for my own use. The irony is that now that I'm no longer at the shop I can finally afford nicer tools. I'm trying to keep my mobile setup slim and professional.

Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
    Well, I'll be using both for work. More than once while doing mobile neutral support I've been caught with all my tools still in my vehicle. I've been working on a small kit that I can keep strapped to my hip to do basic "emergency" adjustments and when I'm not working throw into a pack for my own riding. The goal is to keep it compact, relatively light, yet still keep a lot of versatility. The PrestaCycle ratchet fits that bill well, the Silca Torque tube would only add a bit more bulk.

I've admired the Giustaforza tools for years though I've never used one. The shops I've worked for never had one and I've been getting by with a Birzman analog or Park beam for my own use. The irony is that now that I'm no longer at the shop I can finally afford nicer tools. I'm trying to keep my mobile setup slim and professional.

What disc truing tool is that?

M