Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142

Thread: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

I have a set of wiha and a set of Pb Swiss precision drivers in 1.5-3mm I use and they all work for shimano support bolts or anything else. Iíll post a pic later if I can remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    wera kraftform 2, 2.5, and 3mm drivers with coloured sleeves
    I bough a 2-10 mm set if these from Lee Valley about six years ago, back when they carried them. The whole set was maybe C$45. They reside bench top, and are all still in service, with the 2-4 mm ones getting used on almost every bike. Iíve had to dress the 2 and 2.5 mm a couple times, but theyíre still nowhere near the end of their lives. Hella good tools. (Although I wonder greatly about the 8 and 10 mm. Whoís undoing 10 mm fasteners with a screwdriver?!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    I bough a 2-10 mm set if these from Lee Valley about six years ago, back when they carried them. The whole set was maybe C$45. They reside bench top, and are all still in service, with the 2-4 mm ones getting used on almost every bike. Iíve had to dress the 2 and 2.5 mm a couple times, but theyíre still nowhere near the end of their lives. Hella good tools. (Although I wonder greatly about the 8 and 10 mm. Whoís undoing 10 mm fasteners with a screwdriver?!)
    No idea. I have a bohndus 4/5/6 set that Iíve had forever, and only recently reintroduced the 6 to my work bench. Even that I can count the number of times I grab it monthly on one hand. Canít even imagine where Iíd want an 8 or 10mm version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of places Iíll use a flex ratchet rather than the 4mm screwdriver handle, but a 3 and 4mm are worth own even if you only use them for bottlecages atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    is the 2 'head' long enough to reach the support bolt on Shimano FDs? that's been the only deal killer for me in seeking out a nice 2mm driver. in the end, I've ended up with Unior P-handles instead of 2 different drivers for Shimano derailleurs. i do, however, carry a 1.5mm driver for Sworks cranks. That thing is unbelievably handy.
    I have the Wera Hex Plus wrenches, but the T Handle variety, and have no issue with the 2mm getting to the adjustment bolts on Shimano DI2 derailleurs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    I have the Wera Hex Plus wrenches, but the T Handle variety, and have no issue with the 2mm getting to the adjustment bolts on Shimano DI2 derailleurs.
    i have those in my non-sponsor correct box.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    There are a lot of places I’ll use a flex ratchet rather than the 4mm screwdriver handle, but a 3 and 4mm are worth own even if you only use them for bottlecages atmo.
    I have three little 1/4” Snap-On flex-head ratchets that usually get 4 mm, 5 mm, and T25 bits installed in the morning and not removed until I clean my bench up at the end of the day (yeah...that’s, like, $300 for the convenience not to change bits, but whatevs). They do every fastener that doesn’t call for the impact wrench. (I’m trying to do this for a lot of years, and actually “turning wrenches” is a recipe for arthritis, or at least just tired and sore hands...20V tools changed my life.)

Bottle cages get ball-end screwdrivers (Bondhus, in my world). Low torque and goofy angles is the only place for ball-ends, and the screwdriver format keeps you from ever blunting the ball end, because you can’t turn it hard enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have three little 1/4” Snap-On flex-head ratchets that usually get 4 mm, 5 mm, and T25 bits installed in the morning and not removed until I clean my bench up at the end of the day (yeah...that’s, like, $300 for the convenience not to change bits, but whatevs). They do every fastener that doesn’t call for the impact wrench. (I’m trying to do this for a lot of years, and actually “turning wrenches” is a recipe for arthritis, or at least just tired and sore hands...20V tools changed my life.)

Bottle cages get ball-end screwdrivers (Bondhus, in my world). Low torque and goofy angles is the only place for ball-ends, and the screwdriver format keeps you from ever blunting the ball end, because you can’t turn it hard enough.
    I picked up the Wera 5postion 1/4 inch recently. I love it and use it way more than I should from an efficiency standpoint

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have three little 1/4Ē Snap-On flex-head ratchets that usually get 4 mm, 5 mm, and T25 bits installed in the morning and not removed until I clean my bench up at the end of the day (yeah...thatís, like, $300 for the convenience not to change bits, but whatevs). They do every fastener that doesnít call for the impact wrench. (Iím trying to do this for a lot of years, and actually ďturning wrenchesĒ is a recipe for arthritis, or at least just tired and sore hands...20V tools changed my life.)

Bottle cages get ball-end screwdrivers (Bondhus, in my world). Low torque and goofy angles is the only place for ball-ends, and the screwdriver format keeps you from ever blunting the ball end, because you canít turn it hard enough.
    Do you use the Snap-On ones that directly accept a bit or a 1/4 with an adapter?
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC
    Built a few frames in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hanging out at my buddy's car repair shop and they were using Makita cordless impact drivers, so I bought a set. Came w the 3/8" and 1/4" drivers (and other stuff) Not thinking too much about more than the 3/8" driver, I got the 1/4" driver and thought of it like a bonus that I'll never use. Turns out that Wera makes some impact driver bits that fit the 1/4" perfectly, I use that 1/4" driver to install loosely/take off stem face plates, install Shimano crankarm bolts, etc etc etc more often than I ever thought I would

I bought a set of those Wera colored Allen + wrenches, but find myself grabbing the Pedro's Allen keys 1st. Dunno if it's just habit or what.

After years of 'making do' with crappy tools, I've decided in my dotage that the good stuff IS indeed worth the $.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Do you use the Snap-On ones that directly accept a bit or a 1/4 with an adapter?
    Good question... Hard not to answer without first saying, it really surprises me how few bicycle mechanics use ratchets and bit sockets. I don’t think you’d see many automotive mechanics reaching for loose hex or Torx keys hundreds of times per day.

I have two Snap-On bit-socket sets, one 2-6 (including 2.5) and a ball-end set that’s normally 3-10 (including 7 and 9...). I mounted these on the wall for quick access, but swapped in flat-ended long 5, 8, and 10 mm sockets for the weird ones you’d never use on a bike. These sets are supplemented by a magnet bar on the bench that has a rotating cast of things like huge impact bits (for pedals, cranks, and freehubs) and common stuff like a long, smooth T25 for Campy lever bodies. Also there is a selection of 1/4” bits for the little impact wrench. This is backed up by deep backstock in the toolbox: a few guys of varying skill levels can go through a lot of T25 bits in a summer in a MTB shop...and rotors are the one place I insist on guys using power tools. That said, I’m petty careful with how I’ll let the staff use the impact wrenches, because they’ll write off some pretty expensive gear in pretty short order (case in point: accidentally have the tool set in the wrong direction for a 6 mm Fox axle and you’re buying new fork lowers), or at least make a lot of extra work. The nice thing about rotor bolts is that the T25 bit will usually break before it twists the head off the bolt.

Drawers contain all the rest, including Torx sets and all kinds of options for hard-to-reach stuff. Lots of these bits I’ve made, be it by repurposing sockets designed for a 1/4” shank with whatever bit I want, or by cutting up and gluing eg Wiha Torx keys with a hex shank that happened to be forged from SAE stock (so they fit in SAE sockets). The long 5 mm that I use most often is an extra-long ball-end Snap-On that I’ve cut and dressed to how I want it. Not pictured are drawers of universals and wobble extensions and the like: it doesn’t take much to get to the point where you can reach even the weirdest, shittiest hardware on a bicycle - but it goes without saying that bike guys have it easy compared to the car and truck crowd.

I dig the ratchet-and-bit thing so much that a) I can barely use loose hex keys any more (although I still have a mixed set of PB and Beta on the bench, and they get used often enough) and b) even my road kit features a bag of bits (up to 8 mm for pedals) and a ratchet. I haven’t weight them, but I’d argue this is considerably lighter than and kind of loose-key set up.

6E418615-4750-4D00-B75D-BE5B4197D2D7.jpgA1754F81-2C04-4AAA-A3C7-819E90C0E228.jpg028ED004-D002-423E-AC20-D668D019715C.jpg56F49C44-916D-4207-815E-6A23A0AEF761.jpg2874ADED-6686-4550-8572-471F2BD5489C.jpg0E6FA2B7-08DD-4D34-A7AF-03ADC6B69362.jpg]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question... Hard not to answer without first saying..snip
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

I am working on replacing my loose hex keys with a ratchet based set up. My set up will be to use all Wera Hex Plus power bits in a quick release holder. It has taken some research to find a quick release holder that clamps firm on the bit so that it doesn't wobble. I've found the Wiha one that locks it down solid.

Still some work to be done here, I plan to trim down the hex shaft so that is sits tight on the 1/4 adapter, the 1/4 adapter will get put in the lathe to reduce it's length to the minimum possible and get a set screw in it to lock it down onto the ratchet.

Ratchet here is a Titan flex head that uses the Facom style internals, after getting this and deciding that I really like this style 1/4 flex head ratchet I ordered a pair of Toptul ones from Germany as I have a preference for the satin finish and can't really stand high polish chrome on tools. I don't seem to have a pic of the Toptuls yet.
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Applesauce - enough already, post pictures of your entire tool board over that workbench! I'm curious to see your complete set up!

In fact, I'd love to see shots from the other professional mechanics that contribute regularly in this sub-forum. I believe that Gattonero once put up a number of shots of his tool collection - love to see more from you guys! Kind of like AbbeyQ's toolbox wars from a few months ago ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New tools arrived on Monday afternoon just in time for New Tool Tuesday.

I don't think I posted this new tool back in the fall when I got this.

Lathe to add to the mill for the garage frame building.
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No new tools recently but on the conversation of the bits, I use 1/4 drive or 3/8 for bigger stuff. I don't care for the pop in bits to a driver. I learned how to use tools helping my Dad work on his cars so there was only sockets bits and that's what I know.

And some pics of my messy box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the shots Justin - still hoping to stop in at your new shop on my next trip to New England!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhhhh I see a pair of the Knipex pliers wrench that were trimmed down for cones. Nice.

Looks like you picked up a set of the same flush cut's that I posted earlier.

My goal with going 1/4 hex bits is a wobble free interface.
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC