Thread: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    I can think of Gray, but who else? Beach be gone, and Snap On Canada has to be gone.
    I was being at least a little facetious... Besides, of the six Gray tools I own, I hate four of them. Ain't got nuthin on Snap-On, especially their ratchets. And their resistance to joining the nineteenth century doesn't help their case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a little contribution, my Bringheli is going to 44mm, here is my new puck assembly!

44mm Puck Combo by FARR Frameworks, on Flickr

Bringheli moving to 44 by FARR Frameworks, on Flickr
    Minds Create, Hands Build.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are liking Stahlwille and Hazet ratchets better than Snap On? I use the SO F72 and F80 and really like them, especially the F72. The only German ratchet I've tried is the 1/4 one from Wiha and I wasn't really impressed. Ratcheting was coarse and had a plasticky feel to it.
    Dunno about Hazet, but I've not come across a better ratchet than Stahlwille. Beautifully machined, really fine accurate mechanism and very strong.

IME Snap-on are very shiny and very expensive, but not as durable.
    Suzy Jackson
    Vanity blog: http://suzyj.blogspot.com
    Little fish bicycles website: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since everybody seems to be in a ratchet frenzy, this is what I've been lugging around for the last year. XRR11FPA.jpg 72 points of engagement and a swivel head, mine has a different style of swivel than this one though. Mine swivels on the center of the head, which is nice because it can become an instant speed lever. Durability has been great so far. It does have a bit more drag because of the higher POE, so if that bothers you might want to keep looking. It's become my go too for getting brake nuts in heavily molded carbon frames.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    I'm a complete sucker for shiny. I want this Cornwell ratchet, only because it is shiny and smooth. I'd be a bear to use with greasy hands.

Picture 40.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post
    Dunno about Hazet, but I've not come across a better ratchet than Stahlwille. Beautifully machined, really fine accurate mechanism and very strong.

Of my 1/4" Snap-On ratchets, I've broken all of them once. My Snap-On guy, who's a rad dude, friend of the family, and whom I don't mind visiting even for warranty purposes, took care of all of them, even those I didn't buy from him, and they've been fine since. There was a problem with the way the 1/4" Dual-80 mechanism was assembled at the beginning: for easy assembly they glued the spring between the pawls to the pawls, and when they let go under duress they broke the spring. They switched to packaging the whole mechanism with a magnet, which is discarded after assembly. I've owned a few:
    photo 2-4.jpg

I guess...five, at last count? Plus a neon-green TH72 with a #3 Pozi on it, which rides around in my wife's ski bag.

Except the 1/4" ratchets, I can't imagine ever having a problem with one. I've used the 18" FHL80 in that picture to break loose 200 Nm M10 rusty subframe bolts on my Mini and it didn't even complain, let alone skip. Nothing - and I mean nothing, absolutely nothing, bar none, no matter how seized you think the BB in that Fat Chance is - is that tight in the bicycle world.

Having said all that, I'm not so wedded to Snap-On that I wouldn't love to add some more Hazet and Stahlwille to my collection. But I'm not sure if there's a national Canadian distributor for either, let alone one locally. In the picture above you can just make out a Gray Canada ratchet; I bought this one (unknowingly) broken (just worn pawls from use and neglect) and it took me six weeks and 120 km of driving to get it repaired, plus $35 for a rebuild kit. While it's unlikely I'd break a 22-tooth (?!) Stahlwille 1/4" ratchet, in the event that I did, it would basically be a write-off...and it would cost me more than a TH72 to begin with (maybe $65 for a TH72, last I bought one, and $70 not including shipping for the little Stahlwille). And lastly, it's only available in the format of the TH72: no TL72, no TFL72, no TLL72, etc. (And lastly, lastly, Stahlwille's 72-tooth mechanism is a round head, which I don't much like, and it's available in North America in all sorts of cool SK stuff from the 80s and 90s, which Facom owned them; there's an SK-Facom 1/4" in the picture above, and I like it. Same mechanism as the Mac in Abbey's picture.)

So if you've got a Stahlwille shop down the block, I'm super jealous! But the expense and inconvenience just aren't there for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bought a set of Bondhus "T" allen wrenches with the nice weighted handles. I'm collecting allens apparently and now have:

Bondhus "T" set

Hex-Pro in 4mm and 5mm and T25 (these are very clever little allen and torx wrenches)

Ubiquitous Park set of "L" "shaped wrenches

Pedros 6mm and 8mm with the fat yellow and black handles

CDI torque "Ts" in 4nm and 5 nm with generic allen and torx bits.

Next up is a set of high quality screw drivers... (suggestions welcome)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Say you have $60 to spend on a 6- or 8-piece set... Williams: Snap-On in any colour you want, as long as it's black, anti-cam Phillips. Wera: nice celeste handles, super-aggro tips, like Snap-On on meth. Wiha: Eurotrash pound-through. SK: nicer hard handles than Williams, but kind of spendy for very standard screwdrivers. Very nice Torx. Vessel: JIS, which I'm more and more convinced is every Shimano limit screw (and JIS works fine on regular Phillips, whereas the reverse is not the case). Proto: classic as Craftsman but way better, nice as SK HH but cheaper. Klein: are you an electrician? Some folks love these. I don't. Felo: one of the last nice clear acrylic handles, supposedly the hardest tips, nice beech-handles sets on eBay right now. PB Swiss: where do you work?!

I don't regret buying a complete Williams set, but I've be just as happy to round out my SK or Wera sets. I never use the hex shanks on the Williams (OK, once a #3 Ph on a rusty Chariot), but they're classy and add some heft. Williams/Snap-On hard handles seem impervious even to Acetone, and are grippy even covered in fork oil. I'd like a set of beech-handled Felos, but can't justify the shipping to Canada, eh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Wera. Applesauce told me about these. They have a handle design that looks strange but is very comfortable to use. You can see them as the green handled ones in his toolbox above. I've also used some Wiha hex drivers that are very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd look at Felo screwdrivers as well. To me Screw drivers are kind of hard to completel F up, but it's certainly been done. It's more about how they feel in your hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still relatively new. I have been super happy with Andy Newlands's LAN 71 BB tap and facer.

Jason Henkle
    flickr
    instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    Since everybody seems to be in a ratchet frenzy, this is what I've been lugging around for the last year. XRR11FPA.jpg 72 points of engagement and a swivel head, mine has a different style of swivel than this one though. Mine swivels on the center of the head, which is nice because it can become an instant speed lever. Durability has been great so far. It does have a bit more drag because of the higher POE, so if that bothers you might want to keep looking. It's become my go too for getting brake nuts in heavily molded carbon frames.
    That's arguably my fav. tool in the arsenal.
    600.jpeg
    PrimeTools.co.uk

72 teeth ratchet makes a 5º movement, pretty useful with the 400mm long handle. The extra leverage makes you need one hand only.
    Available with fixed head too, and lifetime warranty on professional use.
    Can't go wrong! I'm switching to all Facom, after the previous set on Beta allen keys left me a bit disappointed....
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

screwdrivers anything from Europe kills it Felo, Whia, PB Swiss, Wera, Urrea Vessel, Facom, Beta, PB Swiss

I do not see the SO ratchets today as being a good choice due to their inflated cost you can buy similar ratchets from Armstrong, Proto, Gearwrench for half to less than a half of the cost and still have the same performance and longevity. I carry a 1/4 drive Proto, with an adapter to 3/8 and a 3/8 breaker

Beta T's are on my short list my old OG Pedro's T's ( PB Swiss made) have had it , I view hexs and screwdrivers as wear items that need replacing from time to time. Just got a set of Wera bits in TX and hex plus for my Picquic Tools DASH 7 if you have not got one of these yet get one for $8 it kicks butt for a compact easy to use carry

should we start a tools source ( where to buy) sticky ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bssc View Post

should we start a tools source ( where to buy) sticky ?
    Between EU and US makes already some difference...

How about a thread regarding "pro" choice of personal tools, list and brief description why/what?
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are people liking for torque wrenches. I just picked up a pair of micrometer ratchets from CDI. Nice upgrade from Bike Brand wrenches. Also grabbed a few of their fixed torque T-wrenches for the truck toolbox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wera. Applesauce told me about these. They have a handle design that looks strange but is very comfortable to use. You can see them as the green handled ones in his toolbox above. I've also used some Wiha hex drivers that are very good.
    I've got some Wera screwdrivers at work. They're good gear. Wiha also. They do a really cool 4mm hex drive set, with bits all the way down to ph000, plus in-hex, torx, you name it. Wonderful for precision electronics work (which I do a lot of at work).

Most of my screwdrivers these days for work are bahco ergo. They're very comfy, and available in a huge range of sizes, plus ball drivers, torx, etc. they have really well formed tips that don't maul fasteners, too, which is important when you're working on delicate, expensive kit.
    Suzy Jackson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryker View Post
    What are people liking for torque wrenches. I just picked up a pair of micrometer ratchets from CDI. Nice upgrade from Bike Brand wrenches. Also grabbed a few of their fixed torque T-wrenches for the truck toolbox.
    For home I've got a Gedore 13mm (1/2") drive one, that does 30nm to 150nm. At work I've got a really nice norbar 10mm (3/8") drive, that does 4nm to 20nm. The little norbar one is a real jewel.
    Suzy Jackson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Between EU and US makes already some difference...

How about a thread regarding "pro" choice of personal tools, list and brief description why/what?
    I like this idea. How about we make this thread a Sticky and keep the magic alive here?

Show us the good stuff sir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
    I like this idea. How about we make this thread a Sticky and keep the magic alive here?

Show us the good stuff sir.
    Hey, I'm not a control freak mod, but I'd like to suggest that if its good enough to own and recommend, it's good enough to take pictures of.

As far as a sticky, if we keep posting it will stay near the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Guy View Post
    Still relatively new. I have been super happy with Andy Newlands's LAN 71 BB tap and facer.

How and why did you decide to go with the lan71? Andy makes great stuff.