User Tag List

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Tool Tuesday..show some pics

I have a hozan

it works really well for what it is, which is shimano limit screws

Having used it for several months now, I can't imagine going back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebay. Here: http://stores.ebay.com/phonetechsupp...sub=4558615017

No connection but good seller, fast shipping, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    Awesome. I have a wood-handled set of Felos, and the #2 Phillips makes a JIS screwdriver seem redundant. But I'd still like to know what I'm missing, JIS-wise. Where'd you buy the Vessel? I've seen them and Hozans on the Canadian Amazon, but not consistently, and only from wonky-looking sellers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome. I have a wood-handled set of Felos, and the #2 Phillips makes a JIS screwdriver seem redundant. But I'd still like to know what I'm missing, JIS-wise. Where'd you buy the Vessel? I've seen them and Hozans on the Canadian Amazon, but not consistently, and only from wonky-looking sellers.
    I've got a set of Felo's and the Vessell JIS. You're not missing much. The JIS would come in handy if somebody had butchered the screw but Felo seems to have found a happy middle ground between JIS and std. #2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    I've got a set of Felo's and the Vessell JIS. You're not missing much. The JIS would come in handy if somebody had butchered the screw but Felo seems to have found a happy middle ground between JIS and std. #2.
    Hmmmm... Here I was thinking I just had an excuse to buy a new tool, eh. (Speaking of which, just got a HAG from Orange...nice. Haven't even used it yet, but...NICE.)

A year of use - really, the thing sits on my bench from one bike to the next, day in and day out - on all manner of Phillips-type screws and my #2 still looks basically new. I'm embarrassed to say it shames even my many Snap-Ons. I've used my big Felo slotted drivers to pry shattered bearing races out of Santa Cruz links. I can't believe the precision and hardness of them; usually, it seems, you get one or the other.

For derailleurs, however, it looks like hex is finally taking over...again. I had high hopes for Torx, but even XTR 9k has gone the way of Di2, with microscopic aluminum hex screws all around. (Seriously, for aluminum hardware, what the hell is wrong with Torx?!) SRAM seems finally to have settled on 3 mm hex for adjusting screws. This could all change with wind direction and cloud cover, of course, but my Wera hex screwdrivers are being put increasingly through their paces.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go buy a JIS Phillips. That's what I was here for, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait Orange carries Abbey??? Looks like I need to get on the line with Courtney and finally snag a HAG.

Cool to see them pick up Fix-It in their line of brands. Chris said they gave it a look at Interbike on his suggesting from seeing the set I got via the Kickstarted.

My parents got me a set of the Knipex for Christmas. This work real nice.
    Brian Earle
    North Vancouver, BC
    Built a few frames in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Wait Orange carries Abbey??? Looks like I need to get on the line with Courtney and finally snag a HAG.
    This is correct. They took an initial shortly after interbike and have another PO pending.

SC Imports is also distributing Abbey in AUS for those on the opposite side of the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm... Here I was thinking I just had an excuse to buy a new tool, eh. (Speaking of which, just got a HAG from Orange...nice. Haven't even used it yet, but...NICE.)

A year of use - really, the thing sits on my bench from one bike to the next, day in and day out - on all manner of Phillips-type screws and my #2 still looks basically new. I'm embarrassed to say it shames even my many Snap-Ons. I've used my big Felo slotted drivers to pry shattered bearing races out of Santa Cruz links. I can't believe the precision and hardness of them; usually, it seems, you get one or the other.

For derailleurs, however, it looks like hex is finally taking over...again. I had high hopes for Torx, but even XTR 9k has gone the way of Di2, with microscopic aluminum hex screws all around. (Seriously, for aluminum hardware, what the hell is wrong with Torx?!) SRAM seems finally to have settled on 3 mm hex for adjusting screws. This could all change with wind direction and cloud cover, of course, but my Wera hex screwdrivers are being put increasingly through their paces.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go buy a JIS Phillips. That's what I was here for, right?
    Wera Trojan are the way to go.
    Their 2mm T-Grip allen key is The Boss for those pesky grub screws on brake pads, brake adjuster, cones, etc.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20150120_171318.jpg
    I was hoping to post pictures of this vise on my new mill, but the later isn't showing up today apparently. Maybe tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hoping to post pictures of this vise on my new mill, but the later isn't showing up today apparently. Maybe tomorrow.
    What kind of mill did you get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jet JTM. Hunted around the pac NW for a used machine for months and could find machines that needed a lot of work or had near new price tags. I don't have time to rebuild one so I just ponied up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference between top quality Euro drivers is vastly different to top USA made driver they are superior and cost far less in most cases. I started using them in the late 80's and will never look back two of the first brands I got back then were Whia and EGA I still depend on them and have augmented with Wera, Felo, PB Swiss etc. I have hex keys that saw daily use for over 10 years that still fit and look like new from E. Germany no clue of the band but serious quality that have proved useful all those years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20150204_174352.jpg

Campagnolo power torque pullers. Dropped them off at powder this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing says valentines day like new safety glasses. My wife wears safety glasses all day in the Soulrun Sweatshop, so what are good safety glasses? She has a pair of $5 one from the hardware store now. So anything is an improvement.

Cheers,
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predominantly wear Oakleys with clear lenses for safety purposes. Pretty much all of their lenses are up to Ansi Z87 standards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Nothing says valentines day like new safety glasses. My wife wears safety glasses all day in the Soulrun Sweatshop, so what are good safety glasses? She has a pair of $5 one from the hardware store now. So anything is an improvement.

Cheers,
    -Joe
    I wear some random brand I get from half fastened aka fastenal. They run ~$5 and fit well. Safety glasses should be cheap so you don't feel bad about chucking them for a new pair. I got through 3-4 pair a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A little unorthodox but find a metal arts center, a small foundry, whatever, and just use this piece as a form for a replacement. It's not a hard shape to cast and you could do it in bronze, iron, practically anything. Do some bronze jaws as well, possibly a bronze handle, and you have a pretty hot vise. I did this when a rotating base broke (snapped off one bolt mounting and discovered it was flawed all along) and it cost me a couple six packs and I got back in an arts center foundry for a bit (arts centers that teach bronze sculpture usually do small casting sessions -- nothing fancy but you don't need anything that sharp here. If you do cast a replacement, before you do the mold you can take some wax and coat the current piece with a thin layer so it casts up nice and smooth, even put some filigree and design work into the piece.

By the way, old Wilton vises at one point were ductile iron which is even harder to weld than low grade cast iron. Mine was a mix of ductile and plain cast, with the load bearing parts done in ductile. Yours looks old enough that you might well have the same. Much better iron for this kind of application.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got tired of using a sharpened spoke to open up the end of cable housing. $5 well spent I say.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BSA-30.jpg
    New BSA-30 bottom bracket sockets. The wider pattern is Race Face Cinch, Rotor, Vuma Quad, Praxis and the other is FSA, which looks like the common 16 notch only bigger. Should be shipping these shortly after NAHBS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20150226_181110.jpg

HAMMER TIME! Started shipping these today. I'll have some at NAHBS and more to come later next month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)