User Tag List

Thread: New Chris King BB Drag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Chris King BB Drag

Just installed a new Chris King threaded bottom bracket and it seems (to me) to be producing an unusual amount of drag. I'm using the conversion kit #9 with a SRAM red crank. I backed off the tension entirely and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Should I ride it and see if it loosens up or is there a possibility that something else is amiss? Is there a rule of thumb for how much spin one should get from a counterclockwise push on the cranks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Chris King BB Drag

Quote Originally Posted by clunk View Post
    Just installed a new Chris King threaded bottom bracket and it seems (to me) to be producing an unusual amount of drag. I'm using the conversion kit #9 with a SRAM red crank. I backed off the tension entirely and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Should I ride it and see if it loosens up or is there a possibility that something else is amiss? Is there a rule of thumb for how much spin one should get from a counterclockwise push on the cranks?
    Yeah ride it.
    Question: how did the bearings feel before you installed?
    I installed one last year and recall it had about the same amt. of drag as any modern cartridge BB had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Yeah ride it.
    Question: how did the bearings feel before you installed?
    I installed one last year and recall it had about the same amt. of drag as any modern cartridge BB had.
    Didn’t notice anything before the install but wasn’t really looking for potential problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drag under load while pedaling is a different animal than the “spin by hand in the stand” test. If installed to spec, it’s likely fine. These are known to feel ‘firm’ in the stand.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Drag under load while pedaling is a different animal than the “spin by hand in the stand” test. If installed to spec, it’s likely fine. These are known to feel ‘firm’ in the stand.
    Thanks. Advice I’m getting locally seems to be consistent with what you and Josh are saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those BBs can be generously filled from the factory. Did you double check you installed the conversion kit properly? No spacers behind cups, wavy on drive side, washer and reducer on left side?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, I recall the CK bottom bracket being towards the bottom of the list on the friction facts test report. The lessons learned from that report as that bearings (of reasonable quality) are bearings and most of the drag is going to come from lubrication and the seals. Since the CK bottom brackets are going to carry a bit of extra lube from the factory and the seals are quite robust I would just ride it as is. It'll probably loosen up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clunk View Post
    The main rule is that you shouldn't get any friction when the Lh crank is installed and the 8mm allen key is torqued correctly (about 50Nm), if compared to leaving the Rh crank&axle only.
    It can take a little while for trial&error, as you need to add or remove the thin spacers. After a few rides, things should settle and you may get a little play, so need to remove the Lh cranks and add one thin spacer.

Mind you, the BB makes some hard work and unless you're riding on a wooden track is better to have lots of grease in. It's impossible to put down in words the difference between too much bearing preload, or a high-fill in the bearings lubrication, but I guess that you can figure it out by yourself pretty easy.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi cos col dove si puote
    ci che si vuole, e pi non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by watchcwgo View Post
    Those BB’s can be generously filled from the factory. Did you double check you installed the conversion kit properly? No spacers behind cups, wavy on drive side, washer and reducer on left side?
    Yup. All good I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    The main rule is that you shouldn't get any friction when the Lh crank is installed and the 8mm allen key is torqued correctly (about 50Nm), if compared to leaving the Rh crank&axle only.
    It can take a little while for trial&error, as you need to add or remove the thin spacers. After a few rides, things should settle and you may get a little play, so need to remove the Lh cranks and add one thin spacer.

Mind you, the BB makes some hard work and unless you're riding on a wooden track is better to have lots of grease in. It's impossible to put down in words the difference between too much bearing preload, or a high-fill in the bearings lubrication, but I guess that you can figure it out by yourself pretty easy.
    No difference noticed with no tension on the 8mm vs about 50 Nm. Have now put about 100 miles on it and I think it’s loosened a bit already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, if your frame of reference is a broken in campy ST BB, which will spin for days just blowing on the crank, the CKs do feel a little stiff when new. as long as nothing is binding, they should have no real effect on pedaling efficiency.

if i recall correctly, CK Classic hubs were the same - they took a good few hundred miles to loosen up from brand new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is a frame with a threaded bb, did you have it chased and faced? That stuff still matters--the bearings still have to be parallel with each other. Sometimes you can see marks from out of plane bearings on a BB spindle.