User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lube for Dura ace 7800 shifter???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lube for Dura ace 7800 shifter???

Does not matter. Use what you have.
    Ralph Ellis
    South Haven, MI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rellis View Post
    Shimano specified a while ago was Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube for use in their shifters. No heavy or sticky lubes to gum up the pawls and springs.
    Interesting. I always keep Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube around the house because that's the lube Speedplay recommends for their cleats ...but it would never occur to me to use it inside the moving parts of an STI shifter specifically because unless it's a brand new bottle it is all "heavy or sticky lubes to gum up the pawls and springs". I find after only a short time it tends to separate out in the bottle, and you might get a few squirts of a thin clear liquid but then mostly you get thick splats of viscous opaque boogers.

Which is fine for cleats, but...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had the Finish Line Dry drip nozzle clog and I have to clear it either by squeezing the bottle hard or poking a pin in. Either way Iíve never seen anything more than a viscous liquid come out. I do shake it a little before I open the cap but I have no idea if it does anything.

Iíve seen some people are now using penetrating oils instead of the two-step degrease+lube. Since I have the degreaser and dry lube on hand Iím going with it.

I havenít opened up my shifter enough to look at it yet, my plan is to use a small amount of degreaser and work the shifter a few times, repeating until it seems clear, then apply small amounts of dry lube and work the shifter until Iím confident itís worked itís way around and then dry everything and wipe off the hoods and tape with some alcohol so they donít feel greasy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weavie View Post
    I have had the Finish Line Dry drip nozzle clog and I have to clear it either by squeezing the bottle hard or poking a pin in. Either way I’ve never seen anything more than a viscous liquid come out. I do shake it a little before I open the cap but I have no idea if it does anything.

I’ve seen some people are now using penetrating oils instead of the two-step degrease+lube. Since I have the degreaser and dry lube on hand I’m going with it.

I haven’t opened up my shifter enough to look at it yet, my plan is to use a small amount of degreaser and work the shifter a few times, repeating until it seems clear, then apply small amounts of dry lube and work the shifter until I’m confident it’s worked it’s way around and then dry everything and wipe off the hoods and tape with some alcohol so they don’t feel greasy.
    that's a good plan. in a best case scenario (when the shifter is not too far gone) you can spray a penetrating lube that will free up the old gunk and leave some residual lube in place, but in a worst case, it's a 2-step process: dissolve/liquefy the old, thickened grease then re-lube. for the first step, I wouldn't count on something like simple green--it needs to be some volatile hydrocarbon like those mentioned above--white lightning clean streak or gunk or carb cleaner, or a bio-diesel degreaser and a hot water bath if the shifter is removed. Do not try to disassemble--you'll never get it back together. I don't recall if you can see the pawl/clickers on that model, but if you do an can get a sharpened spoke to flick it that can help (easier on mtb shifters with covers removed). but just be persistent and keep clicking/working it until it breaks free even if you have to pull the cables and/or remove shifter from bar for the (very) hot water bath. before doing that turn the whole thing upside down so degreaser can work in. you should get it going

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFAIK those shifters ship with a white lithium grease lube. I was able to resurrect mine with the WD-40 white lithium grease spray. No doubt any of the myriad solvent-propelled lube sprays would do the trick short term, but it seemed like a good idea to stick with what is in there already, as you can't be sure what the combo of lubes is going to do long term.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
    Jim Nachlin | Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I donít know anything about the lubricant Shimano applies at the factory except all the manuals indicate itís a Shimano product. Having never used WD-40 lithium spray I canít make a judgement but I can confirm that Shimano service instructions backup both @Too Tall and @rellis, either take the shifter off the bike and soak it for a period of time in some type of solvent/cleaning solution or use an aerosol cleaner and a Teflon based dry lube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya. shimano told me personally to flush out the solvent with alcohol then finish line teflon dry. been very successful with this process for many years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12