User Tag List

Thread: Loosening Inset7 mid ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Loosening Inset7 mid ride

Y'all. Coming here because this is the pro bike tech thread and I'm a professional hack.

Fork is new to me (rigid carbon mtb), but the headset, frame, & stem (Thomson X4), all the same as before. Previously had it installed on a Fox XC fork. Had the headset loosen on multiple rides since building it up. What I did in building it up:

-used the "ye olde 44mm PVC pipe crown race install method" - it was one of the most difficult crown-race-sets I've ever dealt with. Took a lot to get on. Think the race was "settling"?

-installed the headset in a heartbeat wanting to go ride - would forgetting the tiny clear CK dust ring or something cause it to loosen??? haven't opened it back up to look.

-I did NOT torque the top-cap pre-load to a given torque, just until it held everything in the headset stack very tight, then tightened my stem bolts like usual. I was on the trail, after all.

-I don't have a 5.5nm torque wrench like the stem calls for, though it's always been fine with my 5NM torquekey on my sus fork, prior to this one. Did it grip the previous steel steerer more securely even though it was a .5nm too loose? I woulda thought carbon would be grippier. But I don't know things sometimes.

Anyway, it's held on the last two rides, prior to which, I torqued it to 5NM with the key, then used a hex for like an 1/8th of a turn to take it a little proud of 5NM. And, it has held the last two rides, so it seems to me the simplest explanation is just that the stem hasn't been torqued enough, but I wanted to check my work. Thoughts?
    Last edited by zambenini; 08-27-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Loosening Inset7 mid ride

What expansion wedge is inside the fork? How did you install it? What friction paste was used? These are often the case. Stems will twist under load if they are under torqued, but very rarely walk up. Usually the culprit is the wedge moving under setup and you not noticing. The ultra high tolerance king headset amplifies the issue as even slightly too little tension leaves it feeling very loose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was the HS new? Did you put it on in stages or as an assembly? I had a problem where the green o-ring was missing on a used King headset that took me a while to figure out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
    Was the HS new? Did you put it on in stages or as an assembly? I had a problem where the green o-ring was missing on a used King headset that took me a while to figure out.
    This. That stupid green o-ring is “structural.” I keep them in stock at the shop because of the number I’ve seen missing or wrecked.