Thread: I'll support this cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I'll support this cat.

Silca reborn in the USA | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

I have a Silca pump. Had it for years. Even my wife likes it. WAF is rare in a bicycle pump, so I'm sticking with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I'll support this cat.

From the article:

"So while some collectors may have hoped Poertner would resume production of “replica,” or heirloom versions of Silca’s Italian-made pumps, he's determined instead to put Silca back on the forefront of pump technology."

I guess he's got to do this, as otherwise we'll all just buy one pump from him (like my silca floor pump, which I've had since I was a teenager in the 80s and which has never missed a beat). Great product, but silca never got the return business I gave to Blackburn etc, who's pumps would shit themselves after a couple of years.

My bet is he'll apply the silca name to lots of crap pumps that fail.
    Suzy Jackson
    Vanity blog: http://suzyj.blogspot.com
    Little fish bicycles website: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best freekin pump ever made. Got my 1967 model still as a daily user. Looks like crap but works. I would like to get a new blue foot Campy head for a Silca frame pump again some day. Those puppies worked as well. Good luck Josh from Zipp on your new project. Rule the world my friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wishing them nothing but the best luck. The brand is iconic. Watching hamfisted riders break Silca framepumps remains one of my favorite guilty pleasures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used a Silca floor pump last weekend. Really nice. I don't really think that the frame pumps had a problem with longevity. Sure, some of the 30 year old ones are still around, but I remember going through plenty of them. Nice pumps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like the guy has done his homework. I'll definitely pony up for a new US made floor pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would imagine that he will offer an old school pump for the purists while still bringing the brand up to date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh is a great guy that understands quality and business. He was on the first team that i ever raced for, and was a hell of a bike racer as well. Super smart, and i feel like he could be one of us.

We got spoiled with Dave Moulton-Fusos' and Crolls. Yes, he rode Campy.

Not much to say, but good luck to a friend that i hope can keep a good company going and survive/thrive.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    WAF is rare in a bicycle pump, so I'm sticking with it.
    Excellent, if improbable, use of WAF...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one I stole from the bike shop where I worked as a kid, the same one we played cricket with out the back of the shop on quiet days, is up in my loft, covered in crap, but still works OK.

BoCo

new Silca pump available....if you haven't seen it already.

SILCA SuperPista Ultimate Floor Pump The Finest Bicycle Floor Pump The world has ever seen

Dave in Boulder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're making me miss my Silca track pump gifted to my oldest son purchased from Stu Thompsen and probably hocked for meth. My Silca Terra in "Norwegian Wood' is fortunately still in my possession and still fully functional.
    Erik Suttles

20%er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than occasional comments, I'm not sure if anyone has posted a proper review of the Ultimate.

Bumping this thread to correct that oversight.

I know some of you have taken the plunge, and others just can't justify the jingle.

So here's my path:

I was in Vegas at the same time as Interbike in 2014 and I managed to get in. Got to fondle the Ultimate in person. Blown away. For me, it met and exceeded the Internet hype. The pump won "best of show" and easily deserved it. The story, the product - all of it.

I estimate that at least 50% of you who haven't bought-in rationalize your "choice" simply because you haven't experienced the product in person...

Even as a father of three, for me it wasn't a question of "if" - only "when" - so I finally purchased an Ultimate last month. It arrived just before I took off for a week of travel - which included blowing through NAHBS for a couple of hours on Friday. Finally back home, I assembled my Ultimate today.

Side note: My CEO saw the large box on my desk - "something good?" he asked.

Couldn't resist... cracked the seal. Moved aside the foam. He said "I have this disease with guitars. There is no such thing as too good." I hadn't assembled the pump yet - I handed him the main chamber with the handle and gauge - He admired the construction and simply nodded approvingly.

So one detail that might get lost in the mix: The pump includes a 6mm hex key:

Tell me how many utterly disposable hex keys you've tossed that come with made-in-China products.

This is decidedly *not* like those. Simply including this tool in the box probably means extra postage - it's got some heft.

I'll post more in the next day or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please do and I'll post pics of my custom NixFrixShun version.
    F.Y.I. it is my special sauce the leather gaskets are soaked in to make them last a million years. I'm pretty proud to do business with Silca and in particular one J.Portner who in my estimation is one of the good guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will admit to having been skeptical as to why anyone would "need" such an expensive pump (either frame or floor), but now having handled one of each at NAHBS I get it.

My wife who refuses to commute with any self-defense devices of any sort (she rides though a very bad area) grabbed the frame pump and exclaimed "This could do some serious damage". Although the Silca folks would not condone such an application, my wife is getting a new frame pump. She also thought the floor pump would make a great gift for me someday, who am I to argue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently bought a Silca pump head to save my Lezyne from a dumpster death after too many valve unscrewings by the Lezyne. I reversed the presta/schrader head and threaded on the Silca and it's creepily satisfying to use. You know when it's on and there's no appreciable loss of air when it comes off. I can't justify a whole new pump at the moment but I could justify the $35 chuck. Worth every penny so far. Yeah, it just hangs there on the Lezyne. That clasp does not fit the Silca chuck.

Gratuitous photobomb by some NFS, which has seen liberal use for a few sloppy rides around the Twin Cities on the Indy Fab.

If you don't need a new pump, don't worry about it. But if you have the means and need a new one you can do a lot worse. The difference between the aluminum and the stainless in this pic should be obvious. I wish I owned a new Silca. They're that nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stick a rare earth magnet on the bottom part of the pump with superglue. Drape the hose over the handle and the magnet will pull down on the head in a nice satisfying way. Not quite the ultimate but part way there.

image-1725662459.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saab, Scrub, I dig those Lez upgrades. Nice.

Back to Josh P's pièce de résistance...

My 80s vintage Pista has a plastic clip to secure the hose when not in use. At some point I replaced the hose, and the new hose must have a slightly larger diameter, as the clip has worn the outer cover. I tolerate this mild inconvenience because replacing the hose every 10 years or so is part of the charm. Somehow the maintainability of that old pump has virtue - even if it's self destructing in order to promote the maintainability...

The Ultimate comes at the maintenance / durability aspect on a very different vector:

Now, there is no clip. It's eliminated entirely, as the hose is precisely secured by a magnet in the chuck and in the base and aligned by a machined groove in the center of the handle. Even if there was a clip, the hose itself probably costs more than many complete pumps. This arrangement eliminates a wear point, and introduces a far more durable part.

Here's the end of this arrangement that secures the chuck:

Placing the chuck in its holder has a satisfyingly positive metal to metal "clink" - you can carry the pump by the handle, it's secured by the hose and the magnet. It's not unlike using a magsafe power connector on a Macbook - faster, better, simpler to use (not necessarily simpler to make...). Apple-esque is a high compliment.

More to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the Silca guy an engineer? I thought I read somewhere that he is. Anyway, since when did we start calling bike people cats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    Is the Silca guy an engineer? I thought I read somewhere that he is. Anyway, since when did we start calling bike people cats?
    Since we started having open mic night.

J.P. was the genius behind Zipp Wheels for many years. He's wicked pissah smaht.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast