User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with disc brake adapters--save my XTR from "vintage" bike forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help with disc brake adapters--save my XTR from "vintage" bike forums

So I have an awesome old IF Deluxe TI from HappyCampyer
    I rode it rigid for years and tried to stick a more modern NOS fork (manitou r-seven pro with ABS+ damper) on there to see how it would handle the trails. Doing my best 44 impression :) .
    At any rate,
    I have BR-m965 xtr brakes. As far as I can tell, they are IS standard 51mm.

I had been running a PRO XCR Carbon Rigid fork for years, also post mount, but Manitou has different post length (longer post up top , shorter post on bottom).

160mm rotor . I hoped to keep (as I had with my previous IS Caliper to Post mount fork KCNC adapter)

So I totally thought I found what I needed. SM-MA-F160, S/P Front according to Competitive Cyclist's website product overview. Then their customer service told me I had it backwards and that that adapter was to put a post mount caliper to an IS frame/fork.

Photo of problem :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hRi...ew?usp=sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help with disc brake adapters--save my XTR from "vintage" bike forums

Google drive photo is picture of fork with KCNC adapter FYI...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help with disc brake adapters--save my XTR from "vintage" bike forums

Have you tried flipping that red adapter around, top to bottom?

I used my post-mount Manitou fork with an Avid adapter for 180-mm rotors. I’m a big fan of the big rotors. They’ll also give you a little more clearance to play with. Maybe consider that?
    Last edited by thollandpe; 09-30-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I tried that but unfortunately the KCNC adapter will hit the rotor in the other orientation.
    Here's what happens:
    looks good from the side: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17gs...ew?usp=sharing
    Not so much other angle... :( : https://drive.google.com/file/d/17pr...ew?usp=sharing

I may just need to get a different adapter and go +20 mm on the rotor.
    I was hoping the Shimano adapter SM-MA-F160, S/P Front would be the ticket. In theory I think it is (but CC customer service killed my confidence on that one).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any 2nd or 3rd pair of eyes can confirm or refute original hypothesis re. shimano adapter?
    Found this from starbike: https://www.starbike.com/images/Shim...chart_2008.pdf
    thanks for your input? I need to get back on dirt ASAP with dwindling daylight :\

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless I'm missing something, the CC link doesn't show an adapter that goes from Post frame to IS caliper. It does appear from your starbike link that shimano made such an adapter at one time. Did CC change the options?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for help:
    here is what I thought :
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wob...ew?usp=sharing

Pic 2 of model I thought I read correctly (but quite possibly backwards)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/19fl...ew?usp=sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try the Hope adapter "HBSM20H", it worke with my Mono-Mini on PM forks, I already had a 180mm rotor
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you for the rec Gatto, I ultimately got something similar from Shimano but for 180mm rotors. Popped on a new rotor and then the horizontal alignment was all screwed up.
    fortunately, turns out "fork shaped" spacers were the norm for XTR and perhaps all? IS brakes, so my LBS (shout out to bicycle depot in new paltz) was able to space the IS caliper and get everything lined up and working well. I dont want to quote the price as it may have been a part bro deal, or they're just that reasonable, but everything works beautifully now. Piston was stuck a bit, but I think with a little cleaning and mineral oil from them, it is all working without noise or weird misalignment.
    So dont throw out your old XTR just yet. Pics of rejuvenated IF to come. Yes, I am still on 9 speed. :)