User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53

Thread: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kingman, AZ
    Posts
    4,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    But the Ultegra route already forces folks to piece it together and start making changes. I'm glad Shimano is going to introduce a groupset for this niche. Their cranksets alone seem to be a compromise in a lot of ways, though the GRX with the 48/31 seems odd too........ That's the one I'm likely to end up with.
    Not sure what the thoughts were behind a 48T big ring. I've been happy with the 46, it's nice for riding the rolling stuff with a big cassette. I did my first year of gravel races on a Gunnar Crosshairs with 8S Dura Ace and 38/44 rings (130 crank).
    Weight Doper

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7,525
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    As long as the thickness and diameter is compatible, rotors brands are interchangeable. The shimano rotor warp issue is mostly limited to OEM builds.

    My shimano brakes are currently sporting a DT swiss catalyst front and a TRP rear. For a while it had 2 Sram centerline ones.
    --
    T h o m a s

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    1,835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Grx is great because the hoods are designed to be used differently than traditional road hoods.

    All rotors warp. Id recommend getting a proper truing tool and practicing maintenance methodologies that work for you
     

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    victoria, bc
    Posts
    1,835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Rotor warp on oem builds is often terrible because companies insist on shipping bikes with the rotors installed
     

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    NRW, DE
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    What makes Shimano's GRX groupset a mess? I'm honestly curious because I will soon be in need of a groupset for my yet unbuilt Zanconato. It is plumbed for Di2 so I suppose I could also go with Campagnolo EPS but I'm hoping for the very wide range and low ratios of the GRX group. FWIW, I intend to build with the 2X crankset, not the 1X.

    I'm curious if there is something about it we don't publicly know.
    Mainly aesthetics, to be perfectly honest. It looks a bit cheap to me, though I'm sure it works great. I also don't want an increased Q-Factor and most of what I'd need out of a gravel/all-road bike can be accomplished with their road group (50/34t x 11-34t) or mashing together a Di2 1x with a big ol' cassette out back.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    13,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    <twitch>

    My next bike will have rim brakes and room for 28s.

    I hear you re: the new new thing, and I suppose I'd try direct mounts just to see...

    Have you tried any?
    First with EE on my Gaulzetti Aerotack and then with SRAM S-900 series direct mounts on my Gaulzetti Interclub. They're excellent, especially when paired with a really good rim surface like Bora/Fulcrum Speed or Mavic.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    As a person who has not yet embraced disc brakes, what happened to all the talk of using XT/XTR calipers/rotors with an otherwise DA/Ultegra road setup for an all-road bike?
    Post #35 .

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    As long as the thickness and diameter is compatible, rotors brands are interchangeable. The shimano rotor warp issue is mostly limited to OEM builds.

    My shimano brakes are currently sporting a DT swiss catalyst front and a TRP rear. For a while it had 2 Sram centerline ones.
    I don’t have an OE / factory bike, and these are not my first discs. I’ve been truing rotors for years.

    I’ve never experienced problems with rotors - Avid and TRP - like I have with current gen DA and XTR rotors.

    Prior gen Shimano rotors were good.

    Current gen SRAM Centerline and Campy rotors work fine with DA calipers (despite the hype).

    Shimano has a fundamental design problem with their craptacular current gen rotors, exacerbated by thermal management issues, and tight tolerances.

    Bad design.

    To anyone considering a new Shimano disc group, I say: Have fun truing rotors 500% more than you did before you “upgraded” to GRX or whatever.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7,525
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    I don’t have an OE / factory bike, and these are not my first discs. I’ve been truing rotors for years.

    I’ve never experienced problems with rotors - Avid and TRP - like I have with current gen DA and XTR rotors.

    Prior gen Shimano rotors were good.

    Current gen SRAM Centerline and Campy rotors work fine with DA calipers (despite the hype).

    Shimano has a fundamental design problem with their craptacular current gen rotors, exacerbated by thermal management issues, and tight tolerances.

    Bad design.

    To anyone considering a new Shimano disc group, I say: Have fun truing rotors 500% more than you did before you “upgraded” to GRX or whatever.
    Hi hear you and agree.

    I was just pointing out that you are not required to use the shimano rotors with an otherwise almost complete groupset, be it GRX or another. The rotors are not sold with the calipers AFAIK so it is an OEM issue only.
    --
    T h o m a s

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NYC=>NJ=>Boston
    Posts
    2,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    First with EE on my Gaulzetti Aerotack and then with SRAM S-900 series direct mounts on my Gaulzetti Interclub. They're excellent, especially when paired with a really good rim surface like Bora/Fulcrum Speed or Mavic.
    So direct mount rim brakes are currently limited to Gaulzetti (not that it is a bad choice) for custom carbon (or Spez/Tre/Canon/etc. for stock).

    Anyone making a good third party carbon fiber direct mount rim brake fork builders can use for custom Ti bikes?
     

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Parlee? What is Craig using?

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    13,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    So direct mount rim brakes are currently limited to Gaulzetti (not that it is a bad choice) for custom carbon (or Spez/Tre/Canon/etc. for stock).

    Anyone making a good third party carbon fiber direct mount rim brake fork builders can use for custom Ti bikes?
    I think Sarto can also do a carbon bike with direct mounts, but I'm not sure who else.

    Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    Parlee? What is Craig using?
    Craig has his own forks. I don't want to misspeak on the details, but they're designed for his bikes and I don't believe they're available elsewhere. Just one of those extra details that he puts into his designs. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees this thread. I have a third direct mount Gaulzetti on the way and I'm sure it'll be as rad as the others. My interclub has the SRAM s-900 direct mounts with Fulcrum Racing Speed 40C wheels (with the newer campy/fulcrum brake track) and the braking is pretty much perfect. And they're silent in the rain. I just put Bora WTO 60s on the Aerotack with EE brakes and that's also an amazing combo. I'm hoping to take one of those bikes to the mountains with some Mavic Exalith rims in the near future and I'm sure I'll be very impressed.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Aix-en-Provence
    Posts
    10,359
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

    is this a Shimano vs SRAM vs Campy thread ?

    Campagnolo SR EPS 12 FTW. Loving this thing.
     

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Low period/getting things done
    By zambenini in forum The OT
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 10:34 PM
  2. Sanity Check - TT Length, STA, and bike fit
    By mike868y in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-29-2016, 04:01 PM
  3. Icetech Rotors Manfunctioning After Period of Disuse
    By Frightened Inmate #2 in forum VSalon Pro-Bicycle Tech
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2014, 01:02 AM
  4. DA 7700 hub break-in period.
    By false_aesthetic in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 07:23 PM
  5. Shortest period of time you have owned a bike?
    By EDS in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •