User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Has the period of sanity been quashed?

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    But the Ultegra route already forces folks to piece it together and start making changes. I'm glad Shimano is going to introduce a groupset for this niche. Their cranksets alone seem to be a compromise in a lot of ways, though the GRX with the 48/31 seems odd too........ That's the one I'm likely to end up with.
    Not sure what the thoughts were behind a 48T big ring. I've been happy with the 46, it's nice for riding the rolling stuff with a big cassette. I did my first year of gravel races on a Gunnar Crosshairs with 8S Dura Ace and 38/44 rings (130 crank).
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as the thickness and diameter is compatible, rotors brands are interchangeable. The shimano rotor warp issue is mostly limited to OEM builds.

My shimano brakes are currently sporting a DT swiss catalyst front and a TRP rear. For a while it had 2 Sram centerline ones.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grx is great because the hoods are designed to be used differently than traditional road hoods.

All rotors warp. Id recommend getting a proper truing tool and practicing maintenance methodologies that work for you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rotor warp on oem builds is often terrible because companies insist on shipping bikes with the rotors installed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    What makes Shimano's GRX groupset a mess? I'm honestly curious because I will soon be in need of a groupset for my yet unbuilt Zanconato. It is plumbed for Di2 so I suppose I could also go with Campagnolo EPS but I'm hoping for the very wide range and low ratios of the GRX group. FWIW, I intend to build with the 2X crankset, not the 1X.

I'm curious if there is something about it we don't publicly know.
    Mainly aesthetics, to be perfectly honest. It looks a bit cheap to me, though I'm sure it works great. I also don't want an increased Q-Factor and most of what I'd need out of a gravel/all-road bike can be accomplished with their road group (50/34t x 11-34t) or mashing together a Di2 1x with a big ol' cassette out back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    <twitch>

My next bike will have rim brakes and room for 28s.

I hear you re: the new new thing, and I suppose I'd try direct mounts just to see...

Have you tried any?
    First with EE on my Gaulzetti Aerotack and then with SRAM S-900 series direct mounts on my Gaulzetti Interclub. They're excellent, especially when paired with a really good rim surface like Bora/Fulcrum Speed or Mavic.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    As a person who has not yet embraced disc brakes, what happened to all the talk of using XT/XTR calipers/rotors with an otherwise DA/Ultegra road setup for an all-road bike?
    Post #35 .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    As long as the thickness and diameter is compatible, rotors brands are interchangeable. The shimano rotor warp issue is mostly limited to OEM builds.

My shimano brakes are currently sporting a DT swiss catalyst front and a TRP rear. For a while it had 2 Sram centerline ones.
    I don’t have an OE / factory bike, and these are not my first discs. I’ve been truing rotors for years.

I’ve never experienced problems with rotors - Avid and TRP - like I have with current gen DA and XTR rotors.

Prior gen Shimano rotors were good.

Current gen SRAM Centerline and Campy rotors work fine with DA calipers (despite the hype).

Shimano has a fundamental design problem with their craptacular current gen rotors, exacerbated by thermal management issues, and tight tolerances.

Bad design.

To anyone considering a new Shimano disc group, I say: Have fun truing rotors 500% more than you did before you “upgraded” to GRX or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t have an OE / factory bike, and these are not my first discs. I’ve been truing rotors for years.

I’ve never experienced problems with rotors - Avid and TRP - like I have with current gen DA and XTR rotors.

Prior gen Shimano rotors were good.

Current gen SRAM Centerline and Campy rotors work fine with DA calipers (despite the hype).

Shimano has a fundamental design problem with their craptacular current gen rotors, exacerbated by thermal management issues, and tight tolerances.

Bad design.

To anyone considering a new Shimano disc group, I say: Have fun truing rotors 500% more than you did before you “upgraded” to GRX or whatever.
    Hi hear you and agree.

I was just pointing out that you are not required to use the shimano rotors with an otherwise almost complete groupset, be it GRX or another. The rotors are not sold with the calipers AFAIK so it is an OEM issue only.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    First with EE on my Gaulzetti Aerotack and then with SRAM S-900 series direct mounts on my Gaulzetti Interclub. They're excellent, especially when paired with a really good rim surface like Bora/Fulcrum Speed or Mavic.
    So direct mount rim brakes are currently limited to Gaulzetti (not that it is a bad choice) for custom carbon (or Spez/Tre/Canon/etc. for stock).

Anyone making a good third party carbon fiber direct mount rim brake fork builders can use for custom Ti bikes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parlee? What is Craig using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    So direct mount rim brakes are currently limited to Gaulzetti (not that it is a bad choice) for custom carbon (or Spez/Tre/Canon/etc. for stock).

Anyone making a good third party carbon fiber direct mount rim brake fork builders can use for custom Ti bikes?
    I think Sarto can also do a carbon bike with direct mounts, but I'm not sure who else.

Parlee? What is Craig using?
    Craig has his own forks. I don't want to misspeak on the details, but they're designed for his bikes and I don't believe they're available elsewhere. Just one of those extra details that he puts into his designs. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees this thread. I have a third direct mount Gaulzetti on the way and I'm sure it'll be as rad as the others. My interclub has the SRAM s-900 direct mounts with Fulcrum Racing Speed 40C wheels (with the newer campy/fulcrum brake track) and the braking is pretty much perfect. And they're silent in the rain. I just put Bora WTO 60s on the Aerotack with EE brakes and that's also an amazing combo. I'm hoping to take one of those bikes to the mountains with some Mavic Exalith rims in the near future and I'm sure I'll be very impressed.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this a Shimano vs SRAM vs Campy thread ?

Campagnolo SR EPS 12 FTW. Loving this thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123