• Double Wrap (two layers)

14 8.48%
  • Wrap in two directions Lower CW Upper CCW

6 3.64%
  • 3M Black Electrical Tape

26 15.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

Brooks leather on my roadbike for the past 13 months.
    I was skeptical about leather tape, but this stuff lasts.

Cinelli cork on my dirt roadbike for the past 6 months.
    Don't care for any of the other cork tapes I've tried so far, but Cinelli is good.

I have also tried and liked Fizik Microtek and VO leather tape.
    Would like to try Handlebra at some point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Recently installed the Arundel Geko, is feels very grippy and looks like is going to last.
    Not very "pliable" tho, needs to be stretched with vigour around the hoods
    Definitely needs a bit of practice to get it down pat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try a hairdryer on the less stretchy tapes when you get to the bend and patience.

Figure 8 < YES!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goofy question: For wrapping I've always done an "S" around (behind) the lever to avoid buildup. Never use the little pieces of tape to cover the clamp. Simple, minimalist. I do take effort to get the wrapping nice and even top and bottom and finish cleanly at the stem with one width of electrical tape.

Notice guys are doing more figure-8 type wraps around the brake. Any reason for that other than the look? And doesn't it get kinda chunky with leather and thicker tapes like Lizard?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Cinelli to OTF and now the non-cushioned Fizik. Start at the ends with a dab of super glue. I hate the fold over and tuck in. More and more glove-free riding unless it is off road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    From Cinelli to OTF and now the non-cushioned Fizik. Start at the ends with a dab of super glue. I hate the fold over and tuck in. More and more glove-free riding unless it is off road.
    Fizik tape reacts badly with super glue. It smokes then melts and smells real bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Ribbon "Spugna" cork tape. Cheap, comfy, stretches reaaal well for a nice tight wrap, handles commuting type weather abuse well, and lasts a while to boot. Until I discovered this tape, Cinelli cork was my benchmark that nothing else seemed to reach.

If you want to go lardissimo on the comfort scale, double wrap it with gel cork underneath and it's like a sofa.

I can never explain how I do bar wrapping.. need to be in front of a bar and the muscle memory kicks in from there (and a hint of OCD in ensuring I have the same number of turns below the brake lever, on both sides of the bars, and that the wrap finishes at the exact same point on each side...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Goofy question: For wrapping I've always done an "S" around (behind) the lever to avoid buildup. Never use the little pieces of tape to cover the clamp. Simple, minimalist. I do take effort to get the wrapping nice and even top and bottom and finish cleanly at the stem with one width of electrical tape.

Notice guys are doing more figure-8 type wraps around the brake. Any reason for that other than the look? And doesn't it get kinda chunky with leather and thicker tapes like Lizard?
    I like the "cross your heart" method for most setups because I'm efficient at it and I get good results. If I get to the shifter and don't like the way it looks for any reason- I'll take a break and add a strip to the clamp and sometimes two strips along the sides of the shifter body (Campagnolo 11) to get the cleanest look.

There is no one right way to wrap a bar. I wrap the same direction that Gattonero does in his photos above. For some reason most bike shops call this backwards- but I dare you to find one of my tape jobs that unravels.

Wrapping the bars is important. It is how a mechanic communicates his care for the job to the customer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is also my favorite tape to work with. Done well it looks great and lasts a long time on the bike.
    On the backside- its always a pleasure to call Arundel to order new cages and tape. They are straight-forward and deliver quickly. For such a nice product, the margins make it easy to work Arundel in as a profitable part of the service area.

I love me some Arundel.

Also- the gap from tape to stem should be dead even left to right. Get the calipers out.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    (and a hint of OCD in ensuring I have the same number of turns below the brake lever, on both sides of the bars, and that the wrap finishes at the exact same point on each side...)
    You mean there are people who don't pay attention to this stuff???? How can they even ride a bike with wrapping not precisely even???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a bike with Arundel Gecko and another with Lizardskin. They feel similar but I've noticed that the Arundel absorbs less moisture.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
    This is also my favorite tape to work with. Done well it looks great and lasts a long time on the bike.
    On the backside- its always a pleasure to call Arundel to order new cages and tape. They are straight-forward and deliver quickly. For such a nice product, the margins make it easy to work Arundel in as a profitable part of the service area.

I love me some Arundel.

Also- the gap from tape to stem should be dead even left to right. Get the calipers out.
    The set I tried had the adhesive pull away from the tape and I had to toss it. Felt really nice in hand, though. And I love their cages. I'll probably give the tape another try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a wild-assed idea that hit me...

So I was thinking about how adhesive-backed bar tape is the invention of the devil, and how aside from Benotto Bike Ribbon, my second favorite type of bar wrap is Scott Proper wrap (no longer made... dammit). Well, the Proper wrap is a thin rubber strip with a foam-like surface bonded to one side, and that got me wondering...

Has anyone tried wrapping with inner tube? I was just brain-storming a thought to take an inner tube and cut it around (twice) to make a strip about the same width as regular bar wrap. I've got plenty of trash tubes waiting for me to either do a massive patch fest or just give up and sacrifice them to whomever.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    The set I tried had the adhesive pull away from the tape and I had to toss it. Felt really nice in hand, though. And I love their cages. I'll probably give the tape another try.
    That does happen with most packages of Arundel. Be careful pulling off the tape backing, get it started, and you're good. Wrap it tight and you don't rely too much on the adhesive anyway. The plus side is that it cleans off the bars easily. Small quirk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That does happen with most packages of Arundel. Be careful pulling off the tape backing, get it started, and you're good. Wrap it tight and you don't rely too much on the adhesive anyway. The plus side is that it cleans off the bars easily. Small quirk.
    Done this many times, works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried wrapping it, but maybe I didn't go tight enough. Without the adhesive, once it was wrapped it still slipped. That's why I like the PRO wrap. The grippy backing is non-adhesive but keeps the stuff in place. I'll give that arundel stuff a second chance, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Specialized Velvet tape on my Serotta. It is relatively thin but soft to the touch and very classic-looking. As a nice bonus it comes with bar end plugs that have an expanding wedge so they don't rattle loose. My mechanic told me it is not friendly to re-wrapping though so I wouldn't trust myself to wrap it. Apparently it tears pretty easily when unwrapping.

I have Salsa gel tape on my Chili Con Crosso and it is nice for that application. Wraps and re-wraps easily (enough that a clod like me could get it perfect eventually) and is soft and cushiony. It's a word. Look it up.

That Prologo tape does look quite fetching. I'd like to give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also primarily use Arundel Gecko Grip. I prefer to ride without gloves and the padding and grip are just right for this. I agree it takes work to get around the hoods right, but it is worth the effort. The only other tape I use anymore is Fizik soft touch black. Also not slippery when wet, just without the padding and wraps a bit better. Any of the glossy Fizik stuff is a no-go without gloves. Dangerously slippery when your hands are sweaty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Lalor View Post
    I've only ever used Cinelli cork and more recently the Arundel cork. The Arundel tape is a bit thicker and since I tinker a lot it's easier to remove than the stupid #$%& Cinelli tape.
    The trick to Cinelli Cork is to leave the adhesive backing ribbon on

As you stretch the cork tape onto the bar, the backing ribbon will split on its own in strategic places, exposing just enough adhesive to get the job done

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    The trick to Cinelli Cork is to leave the adhesive backing ribbon on

As you stretch the cork tape onto the bar, the backing ribbon will split on its own in strategic places, exposing just enough adhesive to get the job done
    Now that's interesting.