• Double Wrap (two layers)

14 7.87%
  • Wrap in two directions Lower CW Upper CCW

10 5.62%
  • 3M Black Electrical Tape

31 17.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Another ride today - it's still awful. Maybe no worse than just wrapping your bars in electrical tape. I think I'll tolerate it, but I won't cry when it wears out. And Rich can relax, I won't be over-capitalising it by changing the brakes at all.

So out of the tapes I've got/had;

Supacaz Bling - awful, but a nice colour
    Arundel Rubber Gecko - nice but wore out quite quickly
    Fabric Knurl - not a lot wrong with this, but durability to be determined - it's cheap though! A go to cheap wrap for me
    Fabric Silicone - I don't mind this, but I wouldn't buy it again.
    Arundel Silicone - Expensive, and didn't knock my socks off initially. But, it's grown on me since. Wears like steel, tacky - rain or dry, shock absorbing. This is the one I'll be buying when the Supacaz dies. I'll need to come up with another idea for gold.
    I used a fluo green Supacaz once that was really nice. All the other colors I've tried have been absolute garbage. Both in how easy it was to wrap and how slippery it was on the bike. Try the Fizik Terra. It's really nice. I've also had good luck with the tape from Shimano parts company PRO.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On your previous rec matt about pro bar tapes, i got a set of the new sport control bar tape. I had been a hardcore fizik classic then endurance (3mm) microtex person for a while and am sure the terra is nice, as well, but the PRO tape is very nice quality. I also like that is not perforated, which in my experience just makes it harder to clean. Curious how the cush will hold up over time, but for now it feels great. Microtex wore very well, but then again, could get quite hard after a while (i'm talking like 1-2 years with lots of cleaning /re-wrapping).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
    On your previous rec matt about pro bar tapes, i got a set of the new sport control bar tape. I had been a hardcore fizik classic then endurance (3mm) microtex person for a while and am sure the terra is nice, as well, but the PRO tape is very nice quality. I also like that is not perforated, which in my experience just makes it harder to clean. Curious how the cush will hold up over time, but for now it feels great. Microtex wore very well, but then again, could get quite hard after a while (i'm talking like 1-2 years with lots of cleaning /re-wrapping).
    The Terra has a softer finish to it so it does wear more quickly, but it feels great in hand. I've got that PRO Sport Control on a bike too and also really like it. There are so many great tapes out there that I'm shocked Supacaz is still around.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think our team bikes are coming with Fabric Knurl. This stuff is awesome to wrap. And feels awesome in the bare hand. Durability to be determined.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I think our team bikes are coming with Fabric Knurl. This stuff is awesome to wrap. And feels awesome in the bare hand. Durability to be determined.
    Thereís nothing about it thatís not good. And itís so cheap you could replace it twice and still be in the same price bracket as the expensive tapes.

And it comes in black. I think my flirtation with colour might be done with. Going back to ďIn theory bar tape can be black or white, in practice you can have blackĒ. Brown just means your black bar tape needs cleaning Rich!

Iíll have to find somewhere else for colour!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    There’s nothing about it that’s not good.
    Colin & I do at least agree on this. I just re-wrapped my Time with it and reminded myself how good it is. For black tape, this should be a staple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wrapped a set of gravel bars with (black) Acros Silicone Wrap. Grip and comfort seem great, though not as cushy as shorex. Like many silicone tapes it has no adhesive backing which makes wrapping a lot easier. Not everyone will like the look of the contour lines but its more subtle than the image suggests. No cheater strips included but plenty of length for a figure 8 style wrap.

acros.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except for a single bad experience with some pink Benotto Cellotape in the early 80s at a hot and humid Wheat Thins Miss-n-Out race, I was taught that handlebar tape can only be white. 5 years with Velox Tressostar, 20 with Cinelli cork and the last 15 happy with Deda foam tape ($10 a roll). Decided to try some Silca Nastro Piloti as I like the company (new and old). The Silca went on easily and I really like the shaped wings for the shifters. Very grippy though I never thought grip was ever an issue with any tape after ditching Benotto. The Silca tape cleans easily but I can get 4 Deda foams for the price of one Silca. White Deda foam does not clean well at all but it forces me to perform a nice safety inspection of the entire bar set up a few times per year as I rewrap. Comfort is nearly a tie with perhaps Deda foam a little more forgiving but the Deda foam makes for a fatter diameter bar (a slight negative in my opinion). Too early to tell if I'll put the Silca on the RS and wife's Zanc but it has not been a disappointing experiment so far.
    -Mike

P.S. - awesome bar plugs come with the Silca tape.
    Mike Owens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got round to using my Brooks tape to match the saddle. After comments I initially wrapped the bars in a single layer of inner tube first just to give some padding - but it ended up being too thick so I undid it. It seems fairly comfortable so far. The only difficulty is that it is pretty inflexible compared with regular wraps and that made it hard to get tight around the hoods and particularly at the ends - when I pushed the end caps in it wrinkled very slightly no matter what I did. I used the 3m electrical tape I mentioned earlier too for finishing - seems better than the cheap stuff I have used before.

It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wrapped my bars in 3.2mm Lizard Skins DSP tape. This is a fatter tire, all purpose road bike so the idea of extra cush seemed appealing when I bought the tape. No that it is on, I realize what a difference a little thicker tape makes. It feels like I have pipe insulation on my bars.

I'm going to stay open minded and ride with it. It might be my new favorite. We will see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    Finally got round to using my Brooks tape to match the saddle. After comments I initially wrapped the bars in a single layer of inner tube first just to give some padding - but it ended up being too thick so I undid it. It seems fairly comfortable so far. The only difficulty is that it is pretty inflexible compared with regular wraps and that made it hard to get tight around the hoods and particularly at the ends - when I pushed the end caps in it wrinkled very slightly no matter what I did. I used the 3m electrical tape I mentioned earlier too for finishing - seems better than the cheap stuff I have used before.

If you're inclined to start again, try soaking the tape in water first and wrap it whilst it's wet. It'll help for the tape to mould around odd shapes like the hood.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all -- first post here. I'm looking for an dark Earth-toned color bar tape to go along with a new matte-black carbon road frame. Bar tapes colors such as dark gray, dark brown, dark tan. I like the idea of contrasting the matte black of the frame and components with a natural tone to "soften" it up a bit.

The Anza canvas bar tape from the Specialized Sequoia from ~2017 was, to me, the perfect tape I'm trying to find. Natural, cushy, looked like it would wear nicely. But I can't find this tape anywhere:

61779404_1085198561677461_5111357394043011072_o.jpg

Open to leather, perforated or synthetic materials. I once had Brooks black leather tape which looked more like a nice patina'ed charcoal gray after some time--I'm leaning towards using this if I can't find what I'm looking for. The Brooks Brown Leather tape is a little too "bright" for my liking. Prefer something that can be easily purchased / not an expensive custom job. Any suggestions?

EDIT: This brown Brooks Cotton tape from earlier in the thread looks like a contender as well. It's darker than the "honey brown" of the Brooks leather tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked the Brooks ‘Cambium’ range?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Have you checked the Brooks ‘Cambium’ range?
    Thanks just checked out the full range. The colors of their Cambium cotton tape are spot-on but people say it's hard to stretch. Had some similar difficulties with their leather tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was (very kindly) gifted two sets of SQlab's new '712' bar tape when I recently bought a new saddle. Last week I finally got around to putting a set on my Time:

It's a reasonably thick, very grippy tape (has a really tacky-but-not-sticky feel to it) thatís strong enough to wrap tight and easy to wrap well. Thereís not a lot not to like - and it even smells nice!

I liked it so much I put the second set on my Colnago the next day:

If you're a 'Graveleur' or regularly ride in the wet, I reckon this would be awesome tape. It feels like it would stay grippy regardless of conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowens View Post
    Except for a single bad experience with some pink Benotto Cellotape in the early 80s at a hot and humid Wheat Thins Miss-n-Out race, I was taught that handlebar tape can only be white. 5 years with Velox Tressostar, 20 with Cinelli cork and the last 15 happy with Deda foam tape ($10 a roll). Decided to try some Silca Nastro Piloti as I like the company (new and old). The Silca went on easily and I really like the shaped wings for the shifters. Very grippy though I never thought grip was ever an issue with any tape after ditching Benotto. The Silca tape cleans easily but I can get 4 Deda foams for the price of one Silca. White Deda foam does not clean well at all but it forces me to perform a nice safety inspection of the entire bar set up a few times per year as I rewrap. Comfort is nearly a tie with perhaps Deda foam a little more forgiving but the Deda foam makes for a fatter diameter bar (a slight negative in my opinion). Too early to tell if I'll put the Silca on the RS and wife's Zanc but it has not been a disappointing experiment so far.
    -Mike

P.S. - awesome bar plugs come with the Silca tape.
    90 day update - I think there really is something to their design using special elastomers and I like the comfort better than Deda foam. Great grip but that was never a concern for me. Between normal grime and, perhaps, suntan lotions, the tape has yellowed with dirt gray overtones. Can't clean with either soapy water, isopropyl alcohol or quick applications of acetone to which it seems impervious. I would highly recommend the black version for others.
    -Mike
    Mike Owens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're a 'Graveleur' or regularly ride in the wet, I reckon this would be awesome tape. It feels like it would stay grippy regardless of conditions.
    I imagine it's good for regular old sweaty hands on hot days then?
    Dan in Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    I imagine it's good for regular old sweaty hands on hot days then?
    Too cold here to check that right now, but I would guess you’re absolutely right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too cold here to check that right now, but I would guess youíre absolutely right.
    I'll put it on my list to try. I've been re-using lizard skins dsp 2.0 on builds for a good long while, despite having two nice thick sets of it in the box and a couple sets of the new Silca stuff.. Guess I'm just being cheap - I did finally move a couple spare rolls of lightly-used Fizik stuff into the donation bin. I really hate how lizard skins feels with sweaty hands - and I don't wear gloves all that often, despite the obvious reasons that I should be. If SQ-lab provides good grip and some mild shock absorption, plus allows for a bit of re-wrapping, I'm in. I could also just find contentment with my bike builds and not be wrapping/unwrapping bars every couple weeks.
    Dan in Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you - I try to re-use tape as regularly as I can. If it comes off in one piece and isnít filthy, I hang it up ready for use on the next colour-appropriate build.

I havenít had need to unwrap the SQ stuff yet, but Iím expecting to be removing the tape from the Time soon-ish, so Iíll report back.

I wear gloves almost all the time now, but didnít used to - so I know what you mean there too.