User Tag List

View Poll Results: Wrapping Techniques

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leather

    32 17.11%
  • Cloth

    12 6.42%
  • Cork or Other similar

    85 45.45%
  • Plastic

    44 23.53%
  • Figure 8

    52 27.81%
  • Double Wrap (two layers)

    14 7.49%
  • Wrap in two directions Lower CW Upper CCW

    11 5.88%
  • 3M Black Electrical Tape

    36 19.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 388

Thread: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    For what it's worth, I'm going to try the Fabric silicone ones. It's expensive, but at least it should all be the same until you've worn through to the bar!
    Colin Mclelland

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    All this talk about wear & tear made me realise what an extremely good value my Busyman tapes are, both the roo and the calf versions.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    865
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    I'm building up a bike and re-taping another. I had to search hard locally for black cork tape. I finally found it at the shop that specializes in recumbents, and I hate that it has come to this. "Normal" shops don't have basic black cork tape. The poor guy behind the counter showed me a bike wrapped with what they had, and I told him it felt like I was holding something naughty in my hand. He was a bit mortified, and he should be. Stock non-gel, un-super kush, not super padded BS, please.

  4. #244
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    I thought I’d be clever on my wet weather bike and put a dab of hot glue near the end of the tape before the electrical tape. 2 problems - it squeezed out when compressed and the obvious one is that I just decided to move my hoods and it was a pain to undo - had to use a blade and slice through it then clean up the tape. Should only lose an inch or so from the end so I think I got away with it but it was a stupid idea.

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,814
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm going to try the Fabric silicone ones. It's expensive, but at least it should all be the same until you've worn through to the bar!
    So is the classic Cinelli Cork. No need to reinvent the wheel adding a 3x price tag
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London


    "Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    So is the classic Cinelli Cork. No need to reinvent the wheel adding a 3x price tag
    aah, but it's only 1.5x the price in this part of the world
    Colin Mclelland

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    the crescent city
    Posts
    1,358
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    thought it might be time to bring this one back up to the top: has anyone tried the latest offerings from Fizik? almost too many models. I'm looking for minimal padding and good grip when wet. I have literally been wringing out a good tablespoon of sweat from my gloves lately in Louisiana summer swamp conditions....

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    16,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    thought it might be time to bring this one back up to the top: has anyone tried the latest offerings from Fizik? almost too many models. I'm looking for minimal padding and good grip when wet. I have literally been wringing out a good tablespoon of sweat from my gloves lately in Louisiana summer swamp conditions....
    I recently wrapped some bars with the Fizik Terra (Terra Microtex Bondcush Tacky) and so far I'm a fan. It's on the thicker side, which I like since I don't wear gloves, but the grip is solid even in the SoFla swamp. It wasn't as easy to wrap as NFS/Zevlin, but not nearly as shitty as Supacaz (though that's a low bar).

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    1,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Has anyone tried either of the new Silca bar tapes? I am curious as to how they wrap - be they easy like Zevlin or a bitch like garden hose like tapes like PRO race tape and Spec S-Wrap.

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,814
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    Has anyone tried either of the new Silca bar tapes? I am curious as to how they wrap - be they easy like Zevlin or a bitch like garden hose like tapes like PRO race tape and Spec S-Wrap.
    the S-Wrap is actually very soft, and can be wrapped in <50 seconds ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I recently wrapped some bars with the Fizik Terra (Terra Microtex Bondcush Tacky) and so far I'm a fan. It's on the thicker side, which I like since I don't wear gloves, but the grip is solid even in the SoFla swamp. It wasn't as easy to wrap as NFS/Zevlin, but not nearly as shitty as Supacaz (though that's a low bar).
    The Supacaz tape ought to be one of the overrated things of the moment: bloody expensive here, and nothing that makes it stand out. Hold on, has got screw-in caps, got to be the reason of a price bump.
    For less money, the Fizik is just the same if not better.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London


    "Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    16,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    The Supacaz tape ought to be one of the overrated things of the moment: bloody expensive here, and nothing that makes it stand out. Hold on, has got screw-in caps, got to be the reason of a price bump.
    For less money, the Fizik is just the same if not better.
    The Fizik is significantly better. I've tried Supacaz three times (because after a bunch of recommendations I bought three rolls and waiting too long to try to be able to return any of them). It's a pain to wrap, gets slippery too easily, delaminated making removal difficult, and the rolls are too short for any thicker bar like a Deda 35 or something with an aero top. I'll stick to PRO and Fizik, and Zevlin/NFS when I'm willing to dip into my stash.

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    1,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    the S-Wrap is actually very soft, and can be wrapped in <50 seconds ;-)



    The Supacaz tape ought to be one of the overrated things of the moment: bloody expensive here, and nothing that makes it stand out. Hold on, has got screw-in caps, got to be the reason of a price bump.
    For less money, the Fizik is just the same if not better.
    And the Supacaz plugs aren't very nice any way. They are too large in diameter such that they dig into your hands if your holding onto the ends of the bars. The PRO bar end plugs are much nicer and a few mm smaller in diameter so you don't have that problem.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Posts
    1,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Devlin/RedMonkey started nice, but taking it off the bars was a disaster. And the white got grimey so fast and didn't clean up. Not for me again.

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    16,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Devlin/RedMonkey started nice, but taking it off the bars was a disaster. And the white got grimey so fast and didn't clean up. Not for me again.
    I recently pulled the tape off a bike that, I'm embarrassed to say, I hadn't changed in almost 3 years. This is on a bike that mostly sees gravel and rainy days. I was fully expecting to have a disgusting mess of decomposed tape and handlebar corrosion. Nope. Everything was pristine and just needed a wipe with a wet rag. The tape...PRO Silicon. I don't know if they still make that tape, but I was blown away.

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kingman, AZ
    Posts
    4,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I recently pulled the tape off a bike that, I'm embarrassed to say, I hadn't changed in almost 3 years. This is on a bike that mostly sees gravel and rainy days. I was fully expecting to have a disgusting mess of decomposed tape and handlebar corrosion. Nope. Everything was pristine and just needed a wipe with a wet rag. The tape...PRO Silicon. I don't know if they still make that tape, but I was blown away.
    My gravel bike has Pro Silicon tape and I doubled it in the drops. Best rough road riding-in-the-drops tape I've used.
    Weight Doper

  16. #256
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    1,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I recently pulled the tape off a bike that, I'm embarrassed to say, I hadn't changed in almost 3 years. This is on a bike that mostly sees gravel and rainy days. I was fully expecting to have a disgusting mess of decomposed tape and handlebar corrosion. Nope. Everything was pristine and just needed a wipe with a wet rag. The tape...PRO Silicon. I don't know if they still make that tape, but I was blown away.
    I think the Pro Silicon was reincarnated as the PRO Sport Control tape. I ordered a few rolls once and while the shop label said Sport Control the PRO box said Smart Silicon and it was the same as some other Sport Control tape I have that must be of a more recent vintage since the box says Sport Control.

  17. #257
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    1,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Devlin/RedMonkey started nice, but taking it off the bars was a disaster. And the white got grimey so fast and didn't clean up. Not for me again.
    I found that the Zevlin adhesive would stick really hard to matte finishes on bars since I had no trouble getting it off the tops where there was electrical tape wrapped to hold the cables. The solution was to run electrical tape over the drops and the difference was night and day. The Zevlin tape came off with no trouble leaving no residue behind. Bit of a pain to have to resort to that but the feel of the tape and its durability make it worth my while.

  18. #258
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Anyone taken the plunge on the new versions of Fizik tape? My go to for the last few years has been Endurance Classic (Microtex) but it has been discontinued.

  19. #259
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    16,202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
    Anyone taken the plunge on the new versions of Fizik tape? My go to for the last few years has been Endurance Classic (Microtex) but it has been discontinued.
    Yep. I made a note about the new Terra tape above. So far I like it quite a bit.

  20. #260
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    811
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

    Quote Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
    Anyone taken the plunge on the new versions of Fizik tape? My go to for the last few years has been Endurance Classic (Microtex) but it has been discontinued.
    I just wrapped my bars last night with some microtex tape I bought a couple of years ago - it's still my go-to, so it would be a shame if they stopped making it. Looking at the website, the "Tempo Microtex Classic" looks identical from here, but I'll have to buy some and find out.

Similar Threads

  1. NYE 2013 - What cha' planning to cook for the crowd?
    By Too Tall in forum Cooks - Epicureans - Toque-istas
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 01:40 PM
  2. Favorite handlebar tape
    By JTC33 in forum VSalon Pro-Bicycle Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 11:26 PM
  3. Pay attention, this rarely happens: New handlebar tape
    By Saab2000 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 03:14 PM
  4. Please help me with handlebar selection
    By htono in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 11:26 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •