• Double Wrap (two layers)

13 8.02%
  • Wrap in two directions Lower CW Upper CCW

6 3.70%
  • 3M Black Electrical Tape

26 16.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

Mike Giant by Cinelli. Wears like iron, apologies if this has been discussed.

109372d1536184662-hampsten-cycles-red-hampsten-6-jpg.jpg
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just replaced some Deda bar tape with Supacaz Super Sticky Kush. Time will tell how well they hold up, but I like them so far. Nice and cushy, good grip, and came with high-quality bar ends and finishing tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What’s the ticket for finishing tape? I’ve been using cheap electrical tape, but it doesn’t stay put.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leather.

Busyman, with Fizik silicon jelly thingy underneath:

Another Busyman:

Homemade, using bits of hide that we don't use for our business, viz., belly:

Brooks:

Another Brooks:

Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you people who wrap cotton treat it or just leave it bare?

I'm tempted to go cotton for a classic touch on a sober (upcoming) Ti project.

Houston mentioned he ran Brooks cotton on his Mosaic so it wouldn't be a first...
    . K R I S T O F . D ' H A E S E L E E R .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did try the bottle of bug flakes and and alcohol once,
    doesn't work any better than Zinsser.

zinsser-polyurethanes-shellacs-lacquers-00304h-64_1000.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    What’s the ticket for finishing tape? I’ve been using cheap electrical tape, but it doesn’t stay put.
    For those using Busyman / Handlebra / Leh Cycling leather tapes, you can use tubular glue to finish your tape with a small wrap of that. Probably best to finish it with a wrap of electrical tape first, then glue the section of finishing tape on.

Another option that seems to be making a re-appearance is twine. Again, I’d finish the job with electrical tape then do the twine wrap over the top of that, otherwise it’d be a bitch of a job!

A trick I’m yet to try is to use a short section of heatshrink tubing. Obviously needs to go on the bar very early in the process and have cables fed through it etc., so it’d be fiddly as hell - but it does open up a lot more colour options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have read that you can fuse the end of electrical tape with heat (soldering iron) to stop it unravelling. I have failed to master this. Recently I have been using waxed linen twine over the electrical tape (as suggested above by Rich) following similar examples on here (see Llewellyn Bikes).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trick with electrical tape is to leave the last wrap unstretched. It helps if you use quality tape such as the ubiquitous 3M Scotch Super 33+, but I've had good experience with any tape as long as the glue hasn't gone completely gooey. I do 2-3 wraps in total with the first or second layer stretched tight and covering the edge of bar tape (like in Paul Jacobs' photo) and the final layer going right up to the edge and done with as little tension as possible. No movement or unraveling for the life of the bar tape which can be a year or more sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    For those using Busyman / Handlebra / Leh Cycling leather tapes, you can use tubular glue to finish your tape with a small wrap of that. Probably best to finish it with a wrap of electrical tape first, then glue the section of finishing tape on.

Another option that seems to be making a re-appearance is twine. Again, Id finish the job with electrical tape then do the twine wrap over the top of that, otherwise itd be a bitch of a job!

A trick Im yet to try is to use a short section of heatshrink tubing. Obviously needs to go on the bar very early in the process and have cables fed through it etc., so itd be fiddly as hell - but it does open up a lot more colour options.
    I've never done the twine finish. Haven't had the right bike for that.

I have used heat-shrink. Hard to find in the right size and you will have to remove levers to use it. It's okay, but not great.

A length of inner tube is a very nice finish. Pull about a 2.5" length of tube over the bar to the finish area. Wrap to about half way up the tube and then fold the remainder of the tube up and over the tape. Looks pretty good. I've got that on one bike right now.

Lately, I'm liking the self-fusing silicone tapes for a nice clean look. Variety of colors and it holds neatly and doesn't need the levers off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have any issue with the electrical tape.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    I have read that you can fuse the end of electrical tape with heat (soldering iron) to stop it unravelling. I have failed to master this. Recently I have been using waxed linen twine over the electrical tape (as suggested above by Rich) following similar examples on here (see Llewellyn Bikes).
    A direct link to Llewellyn's twine photo with notes on process (like Rich describes above) -

Llewellyn Bikes
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    The trick with electrical tape is to leave the last wrap unstretched. It helps if you use quality tape such as the ubiquitous 3M Scotch Super 33+, but I've had good experience with any tape as long as the glue hasn't gone completely gooey. I do 2-3 wraps in total with the first or second layer stretched tight and covering the edge of bar tape (like in Paul Jacobs' photo) and the final layer going right up to the edge and done with as little tension as possible. No movement or unraveling for the life of the bar tape which can be a year or more sometimes.
    This is the correct method, no need to reinvent the wheel. Keeps tape on much longer in hot weather that melts the glue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After three months of using PRO Sport Control tape as I experimented with new bars and lever positions, I am settled and I wrapped up some Zevlin Big 40 tape. This is the stuff that Josh sold with the NFS embossing. I had almost forgotten how great this tape is under hand. It's plush and very sticky without being tacky. Once you grab a hold, your hands simply don't slip around. I found that with the PRO tape I had to grip harder since that stuff didn't have the same hold as the Zevlin.

The only thing that stops the Zevlin from getting a perfect 10 is the backing tape. It's from the pre-silicone backing era and the 3M adhesive on there can make it a real mess to remove if it's been on there a long time. I have one hope and it is that the Easton carbon bars I am now using will release the tape better since they seem to have a smoother finish than the Ritchey aluminum bars I was riding previously.

And in case you weren't aware, Zevlin did go out of business but Red Monkey Sports bought the rights to their tape and they are selling the same stuff.