• Double Wrap (two layers)

14 7.49%
  • Wrap in two directions Lower CW Upper CCW

11 5.88%
  • 3M Black Electrical Tape

36 19.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Handlebar Tape - What cha' wrapping?

PSA Bump. I just replaced the Deda Mistral on my Parlee and I have to say it was the worst tape I've ever used. The only thing worse than riding with it was trying to remove it. It's slippery when wet, has no padding and the color wears quickly. And once you're finally sick of it the tape disintegrates leaving the adhesive and strips of the tape's underside stuck to your bars. Terrible. I replaced it with my last rolls of Supacaz since they are fluo green and the all black Parlee is the only bike where it wouldn't look terrible. The last time I tried Supacaz it was a huge pain to wrap, but this stuff went on very quickly and smoothly. Maybe the different color schemes have different amounts of stretch. After this I'm sticking with NFS, though.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be cool to have a Brooks C13 Cambium with matchy-matchy Cambium bar tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrapped the Lyrebird with some of the new Specialized black denim 'Anza' bar tape recently - it's thick as all hell, which makes it a bugger to wrap; but it's actually really quite nice to ride:

It's not black-black either - more a dark grey; but I kinda like that too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that tape looks really well with that bike (I like the bike too).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still using the crazy-glue-finish method instead of tape.
    Bike Ribbon Cork Plus dark blue is as close as I've ever been able to get to the frame color of this bike.
    On my black bike I use Profile Bar Wrap.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Evan Marks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best wrapping job I've ever done was using leather sew on wrap then I finished it with hemp twine (which a person doesn't have to finish sew on leather but I wanted the look), after I was done I put clear shellac on the leather and the cording. Then to clean it I only use denatured alcohol. You can do the same thing to cotton tape for that classic look. You Tube has all sorts of methods to stitch your leather handlebar tape, just choose a look you want and go for it.

I ran into one guy who wrapped his handlebars with his old tubes!

With the cotton tape there isn't any cushioning to it, but you can add some by getting Specialized called Body Geometry Bar Phat, these get placed under the tape at strategic locations for the best hand shock absorption.

For "normal" bar tape I like the Fizik Endurance tape the best. My older hands have arthritis in the base of the finger bone and hand come together in the area of bone called the capitate and the hamate, these areas sometimes ache pretty good so the Fizik Endurance tape along with using Specialized Body Geometry gel gloves help to cushion those bones so they don't ache while riding. The leather tape I did was done years ago and now I find it a tad uncomfortable so I may have to change it and buy new tape and redo it with the Body Geometry gel pads under it if the old tape can't be reused (which I don't think I can reuse it because it was a tight fit without the pads).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change of bars meant a-n-o-t-h-e-r change of bar tape for the Parlee (I've been careful in removing the tapes I've used so far [camo aside - the cork ripped too easily], so most of them will probably re-appear on something at some stage unless they get wrecked on the hook they're hung on). This time I pulled out the Manual For Speed 'Space Tape' that I've had on hand for a while but not got around to using.

I decided to wrap the left and right sides asymmetrically and use different colour finishing tape on each side, just for shits & giggles - it's turned out to be a new favourite:

The tape is Cinelli (Voleé style, as far as I can tell), so I have no concerns over how it will feel to ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my tape of choice for the last couple of years....10574484_10153344359859501_4854524416470277902_n.jpg
    Thank, mick van aar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most recent wrapping, I tried Brooks Cambium cotton tape to match the Cambium saddle on my Signal. The previous tape was Brooks leather which was crazy durable but became too slick with use. The cotton tape went on easily. Has much more grip. No cushioning at all but neither did the leather tape it replaced, and it goes on a bike with plump tires. So far digging the tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone every use the Arundel Bar Tape Clips?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Anyone every use the Arundel Bar Tape Clips?

This looks like it will fit my deda shallows nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone recognize this bar tape :

I test rode some brand new BMC teammachine and roadmachine last saturday and I really liked that bar tape. The shop owner couldn't figure out which one it was and I wasn't ready to spend 12000$ on a bike just for the bar tape ;-)
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-04-2017 at 06:03 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure that's some flavor of Fizik tape in that last pic.

...but I'm not positive

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already checked the fi:zik website as the saddle that came with it was also a fi:zik but without luck. Maybe it is some OEM only thing. There is one that is looks close in term of material though, the fi:zik performance tacky. I'll try it next time and see how it goes.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrapped the bars a couple weeks ago with MASH Cinelli Volee Bar Tape. That stuff is a pita to get around tight bends, not much stretch in it. Nice and grippy without gloves. I use the figure eight technique with no cheater piece around the clamp. Some of these brands need to include a few more inches of tape as a courtesy. I run a 40cm bar, barely had just enough tape to finish. Bontrager is extremely generous with their tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally tried some Supacaz cushy-whatsy-stuff. Meh. Not to mention verging on dangerously slippy with gloveless wet hands. And the purple was a naff shade.

Now back on Lizard Skins DSP 2.5mm in purple - suits the Ti much better; and feels significantly nicer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's a good option for NFS-style tape now that Zevlin is out of the game? That was the best stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    What's a good option for NFS-style tape now that Zevlin is out of the game? That was the best stuff.
    That was better for sure, but I do like the Zipp service course stuff, its cheap, and if you get the CX stuff, similar to Lizard skins, the regular is closer to the NFS, but will never wrap as thick or easy if thats what your looking for. Does last multiple wraps and re wraps better though.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    That was better for sure, but I do like the Zipp service course stuff, its cheap, and if you get the CX stuff, similar to Lizard skins, the regular is closer to the NFS, but will never wrap as thick or easy if thats what your looking for. Does last multiple wraps and re wraps better though.
    I can't stand the CX stuff (or LizardSkins for that matter), but I fully agree with the regular Zipp service course tape. It's very good. Some of the PRO stuff is good too, but they just changed their models around so I don't know which one specifically to recommend. Beyond that the Fizik Endurance tape is pretty good, though it's a totally different feel from Zevlin/NFS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I can't stand the CX stuff (or LizardSkins for that matter), but I fully agree with the regular Zipp service course tape. It's very good. Some of the PRO stuff is good too, but they just changed their models around so I don't know which one specifically to recommend. Beyond that the Fizik Endurance tape is pretty good, though it's a totally different feel from Zevlin/NFS.
    Agreed, I actually like the CX, for CX, which I find to be a rare marketing truth in product titles. I also have the Fizik endurance, rubberized one on my commuter for years, like an insane amount of time, for bar tape. I dont think theres any way its done less than 10,000 miles. I'm not very hard on bar tape these days though.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR