Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Gravel Riding Tire Selection: What set up are people running?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gravel Riding Tire Selection: What set up are people running?

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    Bought some 38mm Soma Supple Vitesse SL (Panaracer made). They are lightweight for 38s at a claimed 270g. Ride great on rough paved roads. Do fine in the chunky gravel though I must admit I worry about their durability on rocky or sharp gravel bits.
    Fletcher, that bike is frickin gorgeous, as is the backdrop. Damn!

And I lust took a step back in time and put two Vittoria XN Pros on rims to stretch. Although I dislike the idea on heading out for a significantly-long adventure ride with glued-on tires, the ride of a lightweight diamond-tread cyclocross tubular on a dirt road is sublime. Especially at speed. They love to boogie.
    Tdd Hllnd

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olapiquena View Post
    Maybe it was just a specific moment in time or the particular, rather 'special' people that I ride with but I definitely recall a bit of cultish behavior around well used Michelin Jet tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellysidedown View Post
    I still like Jets when the ride is mostly unpaved. Feel they are under rated. They work well in everything except mud and wet grass, yet still feel safe (albeit a little squrimy) at speed on pavement. And another good value.
    Jets were an epiphany for me about 10 years ago.

IMG-20110507-00156.jpg shaved tire.jpg

It just takes a little work with a belt sander to take care of that squirminess/squirreliness on pavement. OK a lot of work. Too much work.
    Tdd Hllnd

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

anyone rolling, or have opinions on vittoria's newish terreno dry tires. G+ rubber and on paper, the concept looks very good. nice smooth center section, 700x 31, 33 40. tubeless ready for those that are into that.

thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Jets were an epiphany for me about 10 years ago.

IMG-20110507-00156.jpg shaved tire.jpg
    Petey introduced me to the 'well worn' Jets around 2007-8... so I'm guessing that I actually have you to blame.

That said, we may have finally sold him on fat(ter) slicks. End of an era?

Post Thanks / Like

There should be a rule about showing bad CAD renderings of tires! Why don't these companies show us a damn photograph of an actual tire?

Petey must have picked my shaved Jets out of the trash. Damn!
    Tdd Hllnd

Post Thanks / Like

I've finally managed to kill a Bon Jon Pass. In truth I'm still nursing a few miles out of it until I buy a replacement. The sidewall has a cut that is sealed using Stan's Race Sealant but it tends to spray a wee bit when I hit bumps hard.

Has anyone had the experience that the Bon Jon Pass (tubeless version) weeps sealant along the vertical mold marks? They do seal eventually and stop misbehaving.

I'm giving the standard casing version a shot. My expectation is that I will give up the lovely road ride but it will survive offroad riding better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've finally managed to kill a Bon Jon Pass. In truth I'm still nursing a few miles out of it until I buy a replacement. The sidewall has a cut that is sealed using Stan's Race Sealant but it tends to spray a wee bit when I hit bumps hard.

Has anyone had the experience that the Bon Jon Pass (tubeless version) weeps sealant along the vertical mold marks? They do seal eventually and stop misbehaving.

I'm giving the standard casing version a shot. My expectation is that I will give up the lovely road ride but it will survive offroad riding better.
    You need this.... the dynaplug

Dynaplug(R) Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Tools and Accessories

fixes all a sealant cannot with the greatest and I mean greatest if ease. Dogrange got a 1/4 inch diameter gash in his sidewall in the middle of nowhere. Fixed it. We fixed probably 4-5 flat with this tool. We never needed to use a tube.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like

Sticking with my game plan with Compass UL and tubes. Works great. But that little tool above is indeed impressive for the stubborn tubeless users. It worked wonders last week. The resulting fixes are anything but esthetic but they hold ! Dogrange is buying one and Houston was talking about buying the company !

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, very common.
    Most of the Northern NE dirt road riders I know have moved on from Compass for tubeless (as well as tubed) because of the sidewall rips.
    WTB and Schwalbe have this tubeless thing figured out.

Case in point: In Satursday's 105 mile Kearsarge gravel event I saw an astonishingly low number of flats (bigger volume tires and tubeless may play a role here compared to previous years). The 2 I did see were both on compass tires.

Post Thanks / Like

TT...I just installed my first pair of BJP (standard version) two weeks ago and no weeping so far. The beads were very tight. In fact, they were probably the tightest of all my tubeless (road/mtb/gravel/cx) tires, but I still mounted by hand with the help of a towel. The beads were seated easily.

So far, after a couple of road and gravel rides, they definitely ride very nicely. Of course, I've never had Compass tires before and certainly have never used any "road" tires with this tire width (~36.5mm measured on 21mm inner rim width). And, as a 213 lb guy, I thought even the standard version is quite supple.

I was quite apprehensive about getting Compass BJP tires because of the many weeping/seating experiences I had read, but nonetheless decided to try them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for comments CX and Just.

CX >> To replace the BonJon Pass what do you recommend? They were good to me up to a point and I certainly beat the tar out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

CX >> To replace the BonJon Pass what do you recommend? They were good to me up to a point and I certainly beat the tar out of them.
    I am asking the same question. Luuurved the Bon Jons, but looking at spending another $150 (oof) for a pair and asking myself what else is out there that are worthy on roads and nat'l forest gravel awesomeness alike.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how/what you ride and importance of preference. The reason I finally got a set of BJP (standard) is because I wanted something fast for pavement and light-gravel. Personally, I wouldn't try the BJP extra-light version given its weeping, bead, and seating issues...no suppleness is worth that kind of hassle to me. Here in Pittsburgh, there are gravel trails that are gravels fine enough I don't need much knobs/tread; and, for rain and a nearby pavement riding, BJP felt fast -- so far. Plus, I prefer speed to "cushy" ride, so I don't want 700c tires bigger than 38/40mm.

If you need tread for more challenging trails, then Panaracer Gravel King SK seems to be to be a popular choice; they roll fine, but not nearly as fast and supple as BJP. Hutchinson Black Mamba (cx) is light and fast. Other ones I have yet to use are Schwalbe X-One, G-One, Maxxis Rambler, etc., are all suppose to be fast. The more voluminous tires like WTB Nano, WTB Resolute, Hutchinson Overide, and Clement MSO are all suppose to be quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I am asking the same question. Luuurved the Bon Jons, but looking at spending another $150 (oof) for a pair and asking myself what else is out there that are worthy on roads and nat'l forest gravel awesomeness alike.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, I did not or missed that you are using the BJP (regular) casing. That's good news because I really don't need anything beefier or more aggressive. Infact, the BJP is darn close to perfect for 60/40 road/dirt riding that I do alot of.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been on the extra light which is the source of my dilemma. They're 'spensive and it's hard to go heavier once you've gone lighter. I'm a big boy and I had really good success with them run with tubes - no flats, actually, that I can recall, and a lot of adventurous terrain.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand about the weight thing -- both the tire and the rider. :) I'm 213 lb. For the volume/weight combination, I doubt you'll find anything remotely close to Compass BJP EL, probably not even to the BJP Standard version.

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I've been on the extra light which is the source of my dilemma. They're 'spensive and it's hard to go heavier once you've gone lighter. I'm a big boy and I had really good success with them run with tubes - no flats, actually, that I can recall, and a lot of adventurous terrain.

Post Thanks / Like

i found this chart a few weeks ago, it is pretty comprehensive and searchable/sortable. may be useful to the tire seek-er-ers here:

Gravel Tires - Riding Gravel's Reference Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    I understand about the weight thing -- both the tire and the rider. :) I'm 213 lb. For the volume/weight combination, I doubt you'll find anything remotely close to Compass BJP EL, probably not even to the BJP Standard version.
    Well if it ain't Baroque. Some day, when I have occasion for something completely different, I will mount up a pair of BG Rock'n'Roads. They look so fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. Great reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i found this chart a few weeks ago, it is pretty comprehensive and searchable/sortable. may be useful to the tire seek-er-ers here:

Gravel Tires - Riding Gravel's Reference Guide

Post Thanks / Like

For tubeless:

Schwalbe G One Allround Microskin TL easy 35
    WTB Exposure 34c

If you want to a bit smaller, the Schwalbe S One, now the G One Speed, 30 are running 32. Richard rode those to 5th at PR and they are the fastest big tires I have ridden. And I had used Grand Bois and Compass from 2006 until last year.