User Tag List

Thread: Good Compressor for Home Shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Good Compressor for Home Shop

As above - can anyone recommend a good compressor for home shop use? One guy just maintaining my own bikes and occasionally for friends/family. Mostly needed to blow crud out of parts when cleaning, etc. I've been using cans of compressed air. I don't go through that many, but still a waste. Might find some occasional automotive uses also. TIA.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Good Compressor for Home Shop

I like my small California air tools one because it is way quieter than anything else cheapish. Not enough oomph for an impact wrench put plenty for bike use, small nail guns and car tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 4 gallon Makita that’s been pretty good, but I do keep wishing it had a larger tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think it comes down to are you filling tires or running air tools

seating a fresh set of rubber on a few bikes will strain a consumer grade tank, but that is likely all you will ever do with it. Any compressor has enough to seat a tire with the valve core pulled, and an airgun shoved in the valve stem. If that doesn't snap the bead on the tire/rim combo is unsafe in its current form atmo

if you want to swap tires on your car with an air impact, or run die grinders, etc- get a bigger tank.

The only air tool really worth using still are various grinders due to size constraints. If you can deal with the added weight electric impacts will do everything outside extreme heavy duty stuff

spend more money to get something quiet- nothing is worse than your compressor firing up in the middle of the night while you get ready for your ride the next day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things Lou. I had an ancient Speedwell that used to be the shop compressor for a bike shop which folded. I gave that compressor back to a former employee who cherished it. If my current compressor died I'd find a good used shop compressor. For now, I have a really nice "Anniversary" edition from Sears. It is LAF and had the oomph to fun air tools and my grease gun AND a good old Sears shameless warranty. They offer a great deal once / year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

California Air Tools are quite nice. A friend of mine has one hooked up inside his house in a closet. CAT-8010 is decently priced + quiet but has low CFM.

Starck has a 10-gallon compressor available on Amazon for around $160 with the highest published CMF I could find for a small compressor.
    I've used one for the past 6 months and was pleased with it. The downside is that it's loud AF — loud enough to warrant building a box for it.

If you need a more powerful machine for a decent price, some of the older (pre-2010) Craftsman compressors look quite good. I just picked up a 30-gallon 6hp machine that has a better published CFM than a lot of the 60/80-gallon machines you can get these days —†and it was under 2 bills (but requires 240v). You should be able to get replacement parts for the compressors if they require repair.

According to the world-wide webs.
    Craftsman 919 models were made by Ingersol-Rand and/or DeVilbiss.
    Craftsman 921 models were Sanborn
    Craftsman 105 models were Campbell Hausfeld
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have what must be a 1970s or 1980s sears 20 gallon air compressor that a non-technical co-worker gave me (he thought it was broken, it actually just has an on/off switch). I brought it home, changed the oil, flipped it on and marveled at how loud it WASN'T. Boy, is this thing quiet!

It's some shade of pea-greenish/yellow, so won't win any beauty contests and I still need to find a handle and a belt guard but as Tom says above - it's quite good! Easily worth the time to set up a craigslist search.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two Emglo compressors:

https://www.americanfreight.com/br/p...pressor/199701

https://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00002...apstrikeco-20/

Had them for 35 years. Never a problem.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Kobalt 175 psi unit that’s been fine for about ten years now. It is loud AF, but any oil-less compressor is going to be loud AF.

If you can find any of the old shop style oiled compressors, they are nice and quiet and built like... well, most things in the 50’s and 60’s... durable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm shopping for my 3rd compressor, keep outgrowing them. Looking like the next up is a 15hp variable speed Sulair. Yeah it's overkill for home use but point is, don't be afraid to buy more than you think you need. It's impossible to have too much compressed air.