Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FSA bottom bracket

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default FSA bottom bracket

My trainer bike has a standard crankset but I think I'd get more use of the cassette (11-28) with a compact. I have an old FSA MegaExo carbon crankset that is ten speed 36/50. I don't think the ten speed crank on an 11 speed drivetrain will matter. It's already confused with campy shifters and shimano chain/cassette. I need a new bottom bracket, the old FSA I've got in the drawer is Ayetalian and the Serotta isn't. I'm trying to remember the nomenclature, I think the Mega Exo BB is what I need but there seems to be way more choices.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: FSA bottom bracket

FSA bb's aren't good value for money. Shimano ones won't get the FSA axle into despite been formerly "24mm".
    If you can splash the cash, get something with replaceable bearings, like Hope or similar.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on the year of that carbon crank -- there are a few different "Mega-Exo" FSA BB's depending on the crank model (6000, 6200, and 9050).
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My trainer bike has a standard crankset but I think I'd get more use of the cassette (11-28) with a compact. I have an old FSA MegaExo carbon crankset that is ten speed 36/50. I don't think the ten speed crank on an 11 speed drivetrain will matter. It's already confused with campy shifters and shimano chain/cassette. I need a new bottom bracket, the old FSA I've got in the drawer is Ayetalian and the Serotta isn't. I'm trying to remember the nomenclature, I think the Mega Exo BB is what I need but there seems to be way more choices.
    They are not THAT hateful sheesh. I do not recall them being a problem on our tandem. Agreed the construction is not great. IIRC the threaded cups are made of swiss cheese so be careful and use caution when installing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

just make sure you apply some grease or anti-seize to the spindle/bb interface. we literally today had to use a big ass hammer on seized one that had to marinate over the weekend in penetrating oil and gentle massage therapy before bring out the big guns. not a one man job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here’s the best compatibility chart that I know of. The carbon cranks (SLK, K-lite) have a proprietary width between the two arms and cannot go with Shimano 24mm BB’s, but the 24mm spindle alloy cranks (Energy, Gossamer) can use 24mm Shimano BB’s based on my understanding.

AA792B46-A890-442F-AE3A-607412D085D1.jpg
    Jon C
    Dallas TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good info. I think what I'll do is a crank swap. The Serotta in the trainer has a Record 39/53 and the Pegoretti has a 34/50. I've never liked the compact on that bike, I just can't find my happy place with the gearing, even after I changed to a 12-25. But the 50 will be nice on the trainer. I'll just pull the crank, slap on some new bearings after I clean it up, and put it on Emma. I've got a nice 12-27 in my toolbox.
    Weight Doper