User Tag List

Thread: Fox Float 34 Negative Air Spring Overpressured/stuck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fox Float 34 Negative Air Spring Overpressured/stuck

I have a 2018 Fox Float 34 in 120mm. Noticed during a ride the fork was sitting at about half its travel. If i let all the air out of the valve, it pulls the stanchions down into the lowers as far as they will fit. Pulling up on the fork with no air pressure it is like the fork is cycling upside down.

Some preliminary research points at too much grease in the negative air chamber clogging the port/valve that allows the +/- pressure to equalize. I have tried a couple of things suggested to try to clear it with no luck.

I have the tools to take it apart, but I'm concerned about the pressure still in the negative spring when I go to remove it from the stanchion.

The fork is only about 90 days old, so it is still under warranty.

Anyone run into this or have any suggestions to clear it without pulling it apart? Or thoughts on pulling the air shaft while the negative spring is still under pressure?
    Kyle Olson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fox Float 34 Negative Air Spring Overpressured/stuck

Probably needs a lower service

Most mtb shops should be fine doing this

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm fine on pulling it apart. Just worried about what happens when that built up pressure is released. The air shaft is held in by a retaining ring that fits into a groove in the stanchion. Getting that ring out then having the air shaft launch out of the fork seems possible.

Anyone have any experience with this type of issue?
    Kyle Olson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seen it a bunch of times on all modern air springs. Usually you find that there's, like, multiple tablespoons of grease in the air spring, which plugged up the negative port. Or you'll find that someone (less likely if it's your own fork) let the air out too fast (and yes, this matters now).

Just take it apart as you normally would. The o-ring on the negative plate will usually keep it mostly in place. Before you start to remove the snapring, put a rag over the air spring to keep it from flying too far, and (if you're lucky and smooth) help keep from getting an eyeful of Slick Honey. And of course...wear safety glasses. I've seen them WELL stuck down, and while it's always a surprise when they come apart, it's never quite as violent as you'd think. And it's usually lower pressure and way higher volume than the stuck down shocks of yore...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    Seen it a bunch of times on all modern air springs. Usually you find that there's, like, multiple tablespoons of grease in the air spring, which plugged up the negative port. Or you'll find that someone (less likely if it's your own fork) let the air out too fast (and yes, this matters now).

Just take it apart as you normally would. The o-ring on the negative plate will usually keep it mostly in place. Before you start to remove the snapring, put a rag over the air spring to keep it from flying too far, and (if you're lucky and smooth) help keep from getting an eyeful of Slick Honey. And of course...wear safety glasses. I've seen them WELL stuck down, and while it's always a surprise when they come apart, it's never quite as violent as you'd think. And it's usually lower pressure and way higher volume than the stuck down shocks of yore...
    It is my fork and just a few months old. I have not let all the air out since I've had it. I hate to send it out and be down the bike for a 2-3 weeks. I think I will give this a try tomorrow. Thank you.
    Kyle Olson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kpomtb View Post
    It is my fork and just a few months old. I have not let all the air out since I've had it. I hate to send it out and be down the bike for a 2-3 weeks. I think I will give this a try tomorrow. Thank you.
    If you're normally comfortable doing a lowers or air-spring service yourself and you "send it out" for this, you will hereafter forever have to live with the shame of being a giant p*@#y. Just drop the lowers, suit up, and pop it out. Clean out the obscene quantity of grease Fox put in at the factory, and reassemble it on the "thin film" of grease that they spec. (I use a bit of Slick Honey, a bit of classic Superlube, and maybe 2 cc's of Fox Gold.)

ps. It IS possible to drop the lowers without losing the lube, but it takes a bit of practice and luck. Fox Gold is very good stuff - not all marketing blather. I usually use a mix of Gold and high-quality full-synthetic motor oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished. Was pretty darn simple, really. I did buy the tool to thread on the air shaft to tap it loose. That was nice to have, threaded it back on once the lowers were off and the retaining clip was out, gave me something to control the air shaft with. Just a mild splut some grease shot here and there, cleaned out the excess and put it all back together, seems good to go.

Thanks for your input, gave me the kick in the pants I needed to just get in there. Glad I did not send it off to Fox for that.
    Kyle Olson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most problems are air blasting past the seal and into the lowers. Both fox and rock shox can have this happen.

A good test is, even if your fork has gone full pogo, that if you adjust the rebound on the fork and it still does something, it is just air in the lowers. If the rebound doesn’t affect how the fork feels you have a bigger issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    Most problems are air blasting past the seal and into the lowers. Both fox and rock shox can have this happen.
    That sounds like some kind of air spring failure - either the seal on the shaft head or the negative spring seal. I almost never see this in the current crop of modern (ie, post-advent-of RS Pike) air springs. Older Rebas and 2013 Boxxer WC springs and crap like that, yeah. But never in a Fox product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I didn't make it 10 miles without the problem coming back.
    Kyle Olson