Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Focus Izalco pressed BB inserts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Focus Izalco pressed BB inserts

Has anyone punched the threaded, pressed-in BB inserts out of one of these bikes so as to lube and reduce a nasty creaking noise? It seems like the only thing that could produce the noise that my customer has; properly installed DA 9000 cranks with King BB, noise is a recurring theme. Does Focus have a US rep or office?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Focus Izalco pressed BB inserts

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouverdave View Post
    Has anyone punched the threaded, pressed-in BB inserts out of one of these bikes so as to lube and reduce a nasty creaking noise? It seems like the only thing that could produce the noise that my customer has; properly installed DA 9000 cranks with King BB, noise is a recurring theme. Does Focus have a US rep or office?
    Thanks
    So these are BB30 adapters that are pressed into place and then the Shimano-compatible King bottom bracket bearing cups are threaded into them? If the adapters are separate from each other (i.e. not threaded into each other - you'd see removal notches if they were,) then you should be able to pull them out. Some of these press-fit units are made of Delrin, which allows a non-adhering 3M epoxy (adheres to carbon fiber but not Delrin) to be used to fill voids around the BB shell as the adapter is pressed in. That can make the press-fit adapter snugger than simply pressing the adapters in, but it doesn't eliminate movement over time and so doesn't eliminate the noise. Compared to standard BB's, this arrangement of press-fit adapters plus the King BB is (IMHO) a kludge. Better to reduce the number of components by using something like a Wheels Mfg. BB30 adapter bottom bracket and put that in instead. You can get several different levels of bearing quality.
    Last edited by j44ke; 1 Week Ago at 09:24 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouverdave View Post
    Thanks
    I canít picture exactly what youíre talking about, but I was a Focus dealer for a few years before they pulled out of NA. Every bike I ever saw had some type of ďthreaded press fitĒ installed totally dry - no grease in the shell, no loctite on the threads, etc. In my experience, this type of BB is best installed with grease on the cups and blue WŁrth threadlocker on the threads. Iíve never seen enlarged seats on one of these frames. And I would never install this type of BB with bearing retainer or anaerobic sealant on the cups, because I donít think it would ever come out.

Like Jorn, I would reduce the number of components, as opposed in increase them.

Donít break out some type of seat thatís glued in the frame.

Giselle (sp?) is where youíll get information on Focus stuff in NA now, but donít expect vast resources.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nylon threaded insert, I punched it out with only moderate effort. Interface between BB shell and insert was dry as toast. I think my customer just wanted an excuse to buy something else from Chris King, but a Wheels MFG cartridge may be the fix for this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good job. I put a Wheels Mfg adapter bottom bracket in my wife's S-Works that was starting to sound like old walnut shells. Installation was easy peasy. Four years ago and haven't touched it since.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New wheels bearings puller uses stand off cups so you can leave the alloy shell in while quick and easily swapping bearings out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enlightenment for a bike mechanic=realizing that every standard except BSA or Italian threads are a fraudulent piece of shit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Better to reduce the number of components
    In my case that meant getting rid of adapters in two PF30 mtb's , and just running cheap PF 30 BB's with 30 mm cranks.
    For years without problems now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd keep the DA 9000 cranks tho.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Good job. I put a Wheels Mfg adapter bottom bracket in my wife's S-Works that was starting to sound like old walnut shells. Installation was easy peasy. Four years ago and haven't touched it since.
    Yeah...that’s the catch with Enduro BBs: you get Enduro bearings.