Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fat Clinchers for the rest of us

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fat Clinchers for the rest of us

You remember this thread "Fat Tubulars VS 700X29 Tubless": Fat Tubulars vs 700X29 Tubeless: Bring it
    Also: Tubeless Combos that work: Revealing your best combos

As an exercise that was one of the best threads on VS for folks diving in and experienced hands 'mansplaining tubeless ;)

I've learned enough about tubeless to know where it fits in my arsenal and am revisiting everything I've forgotten about fat clinchers. Almost nothing has changed except for the fact there are an armload of VERY nice fat high performance clinchers on the market.

One of the premier makers of great clinchers is Panaracer. The venerable Pasela has been a go to tire for commuters, tandem riders and folks in the know for something like 20 years(?). Panaracer has created some refinements along the way. Things like kevlar beads and better casings, lighter tires too.

It is no secret they make tires for Compass and Rivendell.

I'm starting this dance with the Panaracer Pasela PT Folding Bead Tire 700X35 @440 grams. These are not slow, they roll real nice. I'm starting with 50 psi for mixed terrain riding and will air down as I get more miles and experience with them.

At my height and weight this is looking like a sweet spot tire that will take alot of abuse on/off road.

fatclincher35 by Josh Simonds, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fat Clinchers for the rest of us

I need this thread.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like

+ Adding that I've got the Pasela mounted on a set of American Classic Hurricane which are tubeless ready. Like any larger than life tire I soap the bead before install and make sure that I can see the casing mark visible slightly above the rim prior to reindeer games.

The marks I'm talking about are in this image below. You want to see them above the rim not diving down out of sight or too high.
    marks by Josh Simonds, on Flickr
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I've been abusing the Pasela tires for 12 or 15 years. Rode two D2R2's with the 26mm option and no flats. Pretty sure I kept up ok with WayneJ on the downhills too. I've been using the 26 out here in Montana for mixed surface rides and they are holding up great.

The only mistake I ever made with the Pasela was not choosing them for my cross country journey in 2008.

This year, I'll be using the Panaracer Comet at D2R2: Panaracer's new 32c Gravel King and 38c Comet cyclocross tires

Trying to set them up tubeless this week, but I'll be happy using tubes as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I am becoming kind of a nut for the Panaracer Gravelking. I've had a set of 28cs mounted to my Rock Lobster for the better part of a year and they are the JAM. Worthy of dirt, two months of flat-free commuting in East Oakland (glass galore), fast road rides, gripping the shit out of sweeping corners on descents, and general awesomeness. I just got two more pairs-- a 26c pair for my road bike and some 32s because I envied the ones I put on my fiancee's bike. These things are AWESOME. I am talking about the herringbone tread version, not the knobby.

Have not tried the Pasela, but it's a classic according to others. The Gravelking is just so good. Very surprising grip in loose shit for a 28c. Also, relatively cheap, and they are wearing like gangbusters.

Others I've tried:
    Vittoria Pave 27: This thing's gone, but it was nice while it lasted. The Gravelking feels like everything the Pave did, but more durable.
    Conti GP4000 II in a 28c: Not for the scrawnies like me, IMO. Sidewalls too stiff and rubber not sticky enough for me. Big guys seem to love them though so maybe the sidewall is tuned for them.
    Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy 28c: My commuter has worn these things for a couple years. The same ones, without flats. They wear REALLY well but I wouldn't rail them down a mountain pass in the rain if I had other options. Very tolerant of being neglected down to 40 PSI.
    Rivendell Jack Brown 33c: I can't remember which color is the lighter one, but that's what I had... Pretty whatever, IMO. Better than most analogous tires in the size range when they came out, but probably worse than just about every other 32-33c slick that'll come up in this discussion. Similar compound to the Ruffy Tuffy where I wished the rubber was stickier
    Schwalbe Marathon 35: Garden hoses. Sucked. I hear they have some speedier version that's lighter.
    Bontrager Hardcase 32c: I was actually shocked at how decent these things rolled with the right pressure, but they're probably replaced about five times by other models so whatever.

Want to try/hear reviews of:
    Michelin Wild Run'r 29x1.4: Curious about this tire no one's ever heard of...
    Schwalbe Kojak: People seemed to like this thing, I'd give it a shot if someone gave me some...

Tired of hearing about:
    Compass: We know they're great, and I believe you. They're already on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Pasela in non-belted version if you ride someplace where you don't need the belts. I own some really nice tires (Vittoria, Veloflex, Schwalbe) but Paselas are cheap and roll fine by me. They've have ruined me - enabled my n+too many habit in that it's easy and cheap to put decent tires on that one more bike you really don't need. I ride them in 28-35.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a big fan of the Schwalbe Pro One 700x28 (actually measures about 30mm on a Shimano c24 wheel) for road riding.

They are fat (for a road/race/summer tire), supple, and have had relatively few flats. I like them so much they were the last straw that made me order a mid-reach brake Seven and get rid of my Lynskey with standard reach brakes. I kept getting crap stuck between the fork crown and the tire which was eating into the tire tread.
    N=1.5 (custom Seven Axiom SL, mid-reach brake, 28mm or larger tire, fender mounts, pump peg, and 11x32 cassette)(Lynskey R255 in a box)

Post Thanks / Like

Josh,

Would you mind sharing what model and size Paselas you are running on the tandem, what pressures, and (if I can ask a personal question;-) what your team weight is?

We're working towards 3 weeks of "light" tandem touring next year (not carrying sleeping or cooking gear) and want to start auditioning tires. We're currently running Conti 4 Seasons in 28 @ 90psi on Dyads (measure 29). Team weight is 285.

Been very happy with the 4 Seasons compared to the Gatorskins, Gatorskin Ultras and Vittoria Zaffiros (all in 28) but readily admit there's much I could learn.

Any other tandemisti out there with fat clincher recommendations? (Apologies for the slight thread drift.)

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Good review Doom.
    Agreed, the GravelKings are very nice but with a tube please. They are not ready for primetime tubeless. Fingers crossed they will make a 35 in tubeless using the 28 tread pattern.

Post Thanks / Like

I've not tried them yet but have my eye on a pair of wtb exposure 700x34c

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the WTBs are nice for the price-- which is eye-watering for a product labeled WTB, IMO. Call me a snob, but I associate that brand with good value products and want to hear some freaky-good reviews before I would shell out premium coin for them.

And Josh, we're talking tube-type only in this thread here, right? Tubeless is a whole other discussion (and one I'm bowing out of given the disgustingness of catastrophic sealant blasts... not worth it any more).

Post Thanks / Like

Rode a pair of the pasela 38's over most of the summer, loved them and they felt like they were faster than the 28's that came off of the bike. Very interested to hear people's experience with the gravel king (herringbone tread). Especially in the 32c and tubeless compatibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wmidkiff View Post
    Very interested to hear people's experience with the gravel king (herringbone tread). Especially in the 32c and tubeless compatibility.
    I'm really liking mine (700x32, herringbone) but not going to run them tubeless. Blackwall only, if you want gumwall then Compass is the option.

A tad slim for a 32.

Paselas rock. They're on my son's bike.
    Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

My adult cycling jag started with a 2006 Kona Jake (triple! Sora!) for which I bought some 32mm non belted Paselas once I realized the Maxxis knobbies could be swapped out for something less annoying. I've since bought numerous other Paselas for commuting and they are solid, dependable and not very sexy. The Camry of transportation-cycling tires.

Gatorskins, Armadillos, and Hardcases ugh- I'd rather walk or drive. Better to change a flat in the rain every few months than use those daily.

Vittoria Pave in 27mm were a disappointment after using the narrower versions. Mushy and somewhat flat prone.

Soma New Express I believe are made by Panaracer. The 28mm were decent but no better than the Pasela except for color choices.

I'm liking the Schwalbe S-One in 30mm. I wish they'd fit under my IF road brakes but they're nice on my commuter for the summer. Come winter, I'll go back to 32mm Pasela or (smooth) Gravel King. And it's here that I'll end by echoing the peanut gallery and sing the Gravel Kings praises. I've only used the 28mm version, and they're amazing on their own merits. Let alone for the price. The last two times I took a bike to Europe (Dordogne and Puglia) I brung those tires because they rode so nicely while also ensuring that flats were less likely to happen than with a Pro4 or Open Pave.

The Cannondale Slate tires made by Panaracer are very similar to the Gravel King (or Pari Moto I guess), and are a great match for that bike if you're going 80/20 road/gravel. Schwalbe G-One for the opposite proportion.

Once I have an afternoon to fiddle around in the garage again, my wheel/tire combos will be thus:

Indy Fab road bike-
    Shamals with 24mm Open Pave
    Ultegra Open Pro 32x with 28mm Gravel King for winter and nastier weather

Trek cross bike-
    Fulcrum 5 disc with 30mm Schwalbe S-One (swapping to fatter slick Panaracer for winter commuting)
    Fulcrum 5 disc with 32mm Challenge file treads for commute days with a dirt detour (swap to regular cx knobbies if I ever get to race again- not likely with 3 kids under 3)

Cannondale Slate- stock wheels with 42mm Panaracer slicks or 40mm Schwalbe G-Ones, more of the latter lately.

It's good to have options.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait guys. Are you saying that newer paselas are tubeless compatible ?

To be honest I don't understand fat tires + tubes. Sure it works like 90% of the time except when you get stupid pinch flat you could have avoided easily with tubeless. Ask those guys who did the concours des machines with compass tires in the gravel section.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Clincher with tubes is the focus. Dustin G. Might object however there are some compelling reasons some tubeless clincher are great with a tube . Let's not limit this. Both are clincher.
    Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
    I hope the WTBs are nice for the price-- which is eye-watering for a product labeled WTB, IMO. Call me a snob, but I associate that brand with good value products and want to hear some freaky-good reviews before I would shell out premium coin for them.

And Josh, we're talking tube-type only in this thread here, right? Tubeless is a whole other discussion (and one I'm bowing out of given the disgustingness of catastrophic sealant blasts... not worth it any more).

Post Thanks / Like

One of the new Pasela is tubeless and I have a set inbound and destined for some Boyd Altimon
    Pasela PT kevlar. UPC code: 4931253011207 in 25 28 32 and 35. Booyah
    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

To be honest I don't understand fat tires + tubes. Sure it works like 90% of the time except when you get stupid pinch flat you could have avoided easily with tubeless. Ask those guys who did the concours des machines with compass tires in the gravel section.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I would love to hear about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    I'm really liking mine (700x32, herringbone) but not going to run them tubeless. Blackwall only, if you want gumwall then Compass is the option.

A tad slim for a 32.

Paselas rock. They're on my son's bike.
    This does not sound promising for my Gravel King SKs 32 mm which are arriving today - I was planning to run them tubeless on Hed Belgiums for the mystery ride.

As Rosey said - I am sure I will be just as pleased to run them with tubes.

Does anyone have experience with the SKs?

Post Thanks / Like

How true to size are the Paselas? Does the 35 mm version actually measure 35mm wide on a narrowish road rim?

Tire sizing always ends up being a bit a a crap shoot. I recently picked up a pair of 35 mm continental speed kings hoping for a bit more volume than my 30 mm Michelin Muds. The casing on the Conti's is the same width as the Michelins-I feel cheated.