Likes Likes:  0

Thread: eTap mod for big cassettes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default eTap mod for big cassettes

Before I go any further: yes, I know that eTap WiFli exists now. I'd prefer not to buy anything else. No need to add to a landfill somewhere just because I want to run a bigger cassette and not have chainslack problems.

I have an eTap setup and despite what I've read elsewhere it has no problem with an 11-32 cassette when it comes to sprocket clearance when the b-screw is properly tuned. My problem is that the chain-slack pickup is pretty crappy when anywhere near small/small (for reference I'm running 50/34 in the front on a White Industries crankset). What I'm wondering is if there is any way to swap in a long-cage to deal with this problem. I know that the short cages have a non-offset top pulley as opposed to the long cage, which seems to be where I'd encounter a problem trying this. But maybe there is a workaround that I haven't considered.

Has anyone tried something similar? or am I missing something here that would make swapping the short cage for a long one possible? OR maybe you have a WiFli eTap and don't use it and want to trade: in which case I will send you cookies (and my derailleur).
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Instagram

Travel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: eTap mod for big cassettes

I would post a possible swap in the classifieds.

Or you could find an oversized pulley system and use that. The Ceramicspeed set up starts around $350.....

Better than one of those Wolf Tooth dongles.
    Instagram- BlackOakVelo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SRAM seems to indicate you can switch the cages (see quote below from this page) but the differences in the bodies of the respective rear derailleurs will only make the short cage into a long cage rear derailleur with a 28T capacity. However, since your issue is chain tension, something the long cage might help with, and you say you can get the short cage to work with a 32T cog, then perhaps the long cage plus the B-screw would be a workable kludge.

However, might be best to just sell the short cage and buy a long cage and be done.

5. There are more differences between a standard eTap rear derailleur and a WiFLi eTap rear derailleur than just the cage length.

In addition to the longer length of the cage on the eTap WiFLi rear derailleur, the position of the upper pulley is different as well. On a standard short-cage eTap rear derailleur the upper pulley is concentric with the cage’s pivot; whereas on a WiFLi eTap rear derailleur the upper pulley is offset to provide greater clearance between the pulley and the cassette.

The other big difference is that the WiFLi eTap rear derailleur mounting bolt is positioned both higher and further rearward than it is on the standard short cage eTap rear derailleur. This positions the rear derailleur lower down and further forward in relation to the cassette and generates increased clearance between the upper derailleur pulley and cassettes with big cogs as large as 32-teeth. For this reason, simply installing a long WiFLi pulley cage onto a standard eTap rear derailleur will not make it compatible with cogs larger than 28-teeth.
    Last edited by j44ke; 1 Week Ago at 01:32 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The varying position of the top pulley relative to the cage pivot matters for bigger gear ranges. Look at MTB designs these days - relative to, say, 10s XX or 9s XTR - and you'll see that the top pulley needs to move in a non-linear fashion relative to the increase in cog sizes (but don't quote my Euclidean geometry on this one). Just buy the right derailleur.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are eTap "big pulley" cages on Aliexpress for about 100$