Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dura-Ace 7410 crank - BB compatibility

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dura-Ace 7410 crank - BB compatibility

I am in possession of a 7410 crank, and just wondering if this was spec'ed to mate with a 109.5 width BB or something wider?

Bike it is going on has a 115 MM BB for chainring clearance on the chainstay...Will this be close enough?
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dura-Ace 7410 crank - BB compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    I am in possession of a 7410 crank, and just wondering if this was spec'ed to mate with a 109.5 width BB or something wider?

Bike it is going on has a 115 MM BB for chainring clearance on the chainstay...Will this be close enough?
    I'm confused. For the dsylexics and slow thinkers (me) what does "has a 115 MM BB for chainring clearance on the chainstay" mean?
    That crank takes an 103 bb and wants an 43.5mm chainline <- find this info. form sheldon brown's website
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-06-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'm confused. For the dsylexics and slow thinkers (me) what does "has a 115 MM BB for chainring clearance on the chainstay" mean?
    Sorry, I have an older bike that needs extra chainring clearance (Gunnar). Just wondering if I can pop this DA crank on the existing 115MM without ill effects on chainline, etc.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115mm sounds a little long. I guessing, but 110/111mm may be as wide as you'll be able to go as the controlling factor will be whether the front derailleur can reach the outer ring sufficiently. You may find that even with the outer limit screw completely backed out that the chain will still rub the derailleur. Line-up issues with the rear cogset will be secondary to whether the front derailleur will work well. But you'll be able to tell quite a bit by fitting the crankset on the end of the spindle w/o tightening and eyeballing things like derailleur position and chainstay clearance.

One of the work-arounds is to use something like a Phil Wood BB that allows +/- 5mm of side to side adjustment. Then you might be able to find the "happy medium" that will allow the front derailleur to work and get a reasonably straight chain for the middle cogs on the rear without banging into the chainstay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT is right (of course), 7410 needs a 103mm spindle.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I run a 7410 on my Gunnar Crosshairs commuter with a PW stainless 103mm. No clearance issues with a 38 or 39T inner ring. I have an old DA 103 that I use when I need to send the PW in for an overhaul.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it doesn't work with the 103 mm BB there is something wrong with the frame, not the crankset or BB. This was the first 'Low Profile' crankset and IMHO one of the nicest cranksets ever made.