User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DT hubs - Special grease for star ratchets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question DT hubs - Special grease for star ratchets?

Can I use whatever decent, existing grease I have lying about, or do I need the super duper special DT grease? I am a four-season rider in Vermont.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DT hubs - Special grease for star ratchets?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    Can I use whatever decent, existing grease I have lying about, or do I need the super duper special DT grease? I am a four-season rider in Vermont.
    Nope. Use teflon drip lube or 30W synthetic. It does not take much, the main "thing" is that the mechanism is spotless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've also used lightweight, synthetic-vehicle molybdenum grease. Sometimes it needs to be thinned out with a little lightweight chain lube. The important thing, the way I try to think about it, is to avoid things that will be sticky enough to draw a vacuum, and prevent one ratchet or the other from engaging. i.e., you don't want them sucking themselves into the hub or freehub bodies and counteracting the spring that's trying to push it out. And as TT says, make sure there's nothing in there (grit, etc.) that could impede this movement.

In yet other words, like Kings, there is no way to make a DT Swiss hub quiet. It has to be loud because that's how it works. Where in other hubs you can use a viscous mix of Phil's Tenacious Oil and Motorex green grease, in DT Swiss you definitely cannot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Slick Honey in DT star ratchets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, great replies fellas. I'll get some lighter weight grease than what I have, but maybe not the DT UBER stuff.

Thanks again for the reminder about SPOTLESS ratchets, spring and spacer.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually emailed DT Swiss about this because I had trouble finding the DT specific grease. I asked if I could use Phil grease, since that's what I had on hand. The DT Swiss rep said that Phil Wood would be fine and then he sent me some of the DT specific stuff. The DT grease is pretty thick and tacky... much moreso than the phil stuff.

I suspect that a little bit of whatever syn grease you have will work. Just open 'er up and clean 'er out reasonably often and you'll have no worries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I actually emailed DT Swiss about this because I had trouble finding the DT specific grease. I asked if I could use Phil grease, since that's what I had on hand. The DT Swiss rep said that Phil Wood would be fine and then he sent me some of the DT specific stuff. The DT grease is pretty thick and tacky... much moreso than the phil stuff.

I suspect that a little bit of whatever syn grease you have will work. Just open 'er up and clean 'er out reasonably often and you'll have no worries.
    Hey campers, if it won't flow I'd use caution with solid grease in that mechanism. If you wipe solid grease on than wipe it off that would be about the correct amt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Bshow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Hey campers, if it won't flow I'd use caution with solid grease in that mechanism. If you wipe solid grease on than wipe it off that would be about the correct amt.
    Noted, TT.

peace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have said - its easy to go too thick but hard to go to thin. On customers hubs i'll use the proper DT grease but on my own i'll use Triflow or Finishline chain lube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with the others... Lighter weight if you don't mind working on them frequently. If it's a customer's wheel of unknown progeny, etc., I'll use the DT Swiss stuff or a synthetic moly grease, just because I have no idea when I'll see it again, or in many cases where it came from.

The stuff you want is much more soapy/waxy and much less sticky-greasy, for the record. If you're familiar with the old Manitou Prep-M, note that you cannot use any grease like that. It needs to be much less viscous. Phil's Waterproof will be fine, Phil's Tenacious Oil will NOT.

Note, too, if it's any indicator for you, that I do not consider DT Swiss grease appropriate for bearings. It's too solid, and seems to migrate out of them in waxy chunks. Maybe it leaves behind some Teflon...but there are better greases for bearings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

always made my own with pedros syn grease and syn lube slick and tacky enough to hold correctly

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    I'm with the others... Lighter weight if you don't mind working on them frequently. If it's a customer's wheel of unknown progeny, etc., I'll use the DT Swiss stuff or a synthetic moly grease, just because I have no idea when I'll see it again, or in many cases where it came from.

The stuff you want is much more soapy/waxy and much less sticky-greasy, for the record. If you're familiar with the old Manitou Prep-M, note that you cannot use any grease like that. It needs to be much less viscous. Phil's Waterproof will be fine, Phil's Tenacious Oil will NOT.

Note, too, if it's any indicator for you, that I do not consider DT Swiss grease appropriate for bearings. It's too solid, and seems to migrate out of them in waxy chunks. Maybe it leaves behind some Teflon...but there are better greases for bearings.
    Agree with the above... you really don't need much grease in there at all.

If peeps are using the lighter stuff and even chain lube, why is the tenacious oil no good but the grease is?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with the above... you really don't need much grease in there at all.

If peeps are using the lighter stuff and even chain lube, why is the tenacious oil no good but the grease is?
    It is a bit too sticky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    It is a bit too sticky.
    Yep. Causes the stars to stay sucked into the star sockets...if that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greeting o' tech friends; I serviced 3 rear star rachet hubs today with a lighter, red grease. Ratchets are smoother, and quieter on my test rides.

I took special care to clean and reinstall - Thanks again for the comments and tips.

Winter will be the test!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    Winter will be the test!
    It certainly will - a thick grease will only get thicker as the temperature drops and may become too thick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    It certainly will - a thick grease will only get thicker as the temperature drops and may become too thick.
    Yes, last year I had a zero to -10 day (Fahrenheit), and the 370 hubs were fine...Not sure about the thoroughbred 340/240 series.
    Also talking about 1/2 hour ride, then bike on bus, then another 15 minutes of riding to reach work. Thanks for your help, Tristan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highly unlikely they'll be temperature affected. Water and salt, for sure. But I've ridden several different hubs at -40°C (most notably a 95x XTR hub of unknown vintage and progeny - but at least fifteen unloved years), and none froze. Riding at this temperature is so unbelievable shitty I can't even begin to describe it, but the chances of basic lubricants gumming up to the point of freezing pawl springs are pretty slim. Generally if a freehub freezes at these kinds of temperatures, it's because it was contaminated by water, etc., at higher temperatures.

Keep things clean, as always, and don't ever wash them in a way that water could displace grease. Salt is the real enemy in winter - but if it has any effect on freehub pawls, you've got other problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off topic...and than there are Fatbikes ridden by the seashore.

Modern bicycle seals really are a treat. It was not that long ago the answer would be to repack rinse and repeat. Good bye and good riddance.