Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropper post service

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dropper post service

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    I used to use a rigid singlespeed as an excuse for being a broke teenager and sucking as a mechanic. Then I got older and much, much faster on gears and suspension.

Also, I took apart a 1994 Hyundai Accent, and can’t put it back together, and it’s not an M3 so all automobiles suck. I could go on?
    I've had my share (still do) of hydraulics service with motorcycles (even built one from scratch for old-timer amateur racing). The speeds (and the hp) require suspension and hydraulic brakes. However, with bicycles, I find the hassle of having to service forks and bleed the brakes needless - rigid ones and cable brakes do quite good enough for me.

As for the shifters - yup, a hassle to re-assemble. I stick with friction shifters - yet to have one break down.

Retrogrouch all the way! :)
    Could be a culture thing - 99% of cars in my country don't have automatic gearbox. First time I had to drive a friend's car with automatic - it was like: "OK, I think I understand how this works, but let's check just in case". And it was like about 3 years ago. Needed to be sure if N, D, P and R do what I thought they do BEFORE starting to drive. :) Took some getting used to.
    Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Bike Gremlin - bicycles and cycling

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing you are riding rigid your riding is very unlikely to produce a lot of stress on brakes and fork like doing DH or enduro. For regular XC/trail riding a fork service and brakes bleed can be done as little as once every two years. Hey you can even ask an lbs to do it for you !

Bottom line: not what I'd call a hassle.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikegremlin View Post
    Could be a culture thing - 99% of cars in my country don't have automatic gearbox. First time I had to drive a friend's car with automatic - it was like: "OK, I think I understand how this works, but let's check just in case". And it was like about 3 years ago. Needed to be sure if N, D, P and R do what I thought they do BEFORE starting to drive. :) Took some getting used to.
    Every time I have to drive a friend's or rented car with automatic, my passengers better lock their seatbelt as my left foot reflex to apply the clutch when stopping to a light or stop sign always lead to an unexpected emergency stop.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Seeing you are riding rigid your riding is very unlikely to produce a lot of stress on brakes and fork like doing DH or enduro. For regular XC/trail riding a fork service and brakes bleed can be done as little as once every two years. Hey you can even ask an lbs to do it for you !

Bottom line: not what I'd call a hassle.
    It's about the optimal choice. Differs from person to person. Objective upsides of suspension are:
    more comfort
    better control of the bike

Downsides are:
    more weight (mass to be precise)
    more expensive
    requires maintenance

The number of pros and cons is not important, it's the "weight" of each, depending on one's preferences, riding style, type of (off) roads, budget etc.
    I prefer rigid even for mountain paths, especially for downhill - I get more adrenaline at lower speeds. It's a win-win IMO. :)
    And I prefer lighter and cheaper than comfier, or, to be precise, tyres and a bit longer wheelbase do enough for me in terms of comfort. If more of my riding was on unpaved roads (now I ride those just for fun), it would probably be the other way round.

Another thing is the budget. Service takes time and/or money - depending on who does it. It's not an arm and a leg, but since I don't really need it, I prefer to spend that on beer. Each chooses by and for themselves, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bikegremlin View Post
    Differs from person to person. Objective upsides of suspension are:
    In my case it also differs between the season.

I'm riding mostly rigid during winter and the early part of spring when I mostly reach trails nearby that don't include very long DH sections. It spices up the less technical parts, I think it helps me sharpen the skills. I switch to suspension once most of the up there as melted. Cable brakes is not an option I keep. I don't see a good reason to deal with the hassle and I know from experience that fingers can start to really hurt at the end of a +5h mtb rides. Adjusting cables to follow the pad wear every few rides is more a hassle to me than bleeding brakes once every x months.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 6 Days Ago at 09:37 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    In my case it also differs between the season.

I'm riding mostly rigid during winter and the early part of spring when I mostly reach trails nearby that don't include very long DH sections. It spices up the less technical parts, I think it helps me sharpen the skills. I switch to suspension once most of the up there as melted. Cable brakes is not an option I keep. I don't see a good reason to deal with the hassle and I know from experience that fingers can start to really hurt at the end of a +5h mtb rides. Adjusting cables to follow the pad wear every few rides is more a hassle to me than bleeding brakes once every x months.
    That makes perfect sense. My riding style, both with bicycles, motorcycles and cars is such that a pair of pads last for years, literally. :)
    Local mountain doesn't have roads steep enough (with sharp enough bends) to require much braking. If it were different, hydraulics would be a better choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't just take a picture during each disassembling step? When working at home you have all the time you can muster and leave it there for weeks if needs to.
    And worst case scenario, you'll be riding 20 miles back home with a low saddle, ain't the end of the world, innit?
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    And worst case scenario, you'll be riding 20 miles back home with a low saddle, ain't the end of the world, innit?
    That is what I have been doing. But that last part- I've had to ride 5 miles with a saddle that was an inch too low. While that was wan not "the end of the world," it was pretty darn miserable. 20 miles would annihilate my knees.
    Jonathan - Austin, TX
    A Thorn in Your Sidewall