Thread: Do I need the campagnolo oil level tool ut-db010

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do I need the campagnolo oil level tool ut-db010

Hi All,

Building up my first Campy disk. This oil level tool thing is not available anywhere.

Does anyone have one to sell or rent?
    Any work around that is safe/good?
    Alternate product?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do I need the campagnolo oil level tool ut-db010

It's just a bleeder block.

You can make one yourself if you don't have a 10.5mm width block (to be precise)

Roughly copy the shape onto a piece of wood or solid plastic, shave it to size and once it fits into the caliper cavity mark off the retainer screw hole, drill and hey presto you have a ready made bleeder block to fit your Campag calipers.

Any 10.5mm block will do so long as you have the piston faces covered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses. I started to make a block from wood.

Sorry this is my first ever disk experience, trying to figure this shit out.

Do I need to have a slot in the block for rotor?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bleed blocks with a slot for the disc rotor perform two tasks. The block allows you to bleed the hydraulic system without damaging the pistons while the slot helps align the caliper with the brake rotor. You don't need the slot to bleed the brakes, because you usually want the disc rotor (and wheel with it) out of the bike so the risk of contaminating the rotor surface with hydraulic fluid is minimized. That's why you are using the bleed block - because the rotor is absent and squeezing the brake lever during the bleed process might over extend the pistons. The bleed block holds the pistons in place when the brake lever is pulled during the bleed. Once the bleed is completed and everything is clean, then you put the wheel back in and re-center the caliper on the rotor if needed.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Campag's cover all for hydro brake systems

As Jorn said, use the block sans wheels to bleed the lines - you can align the caliper to the rotor once all the potential contamination of bleeding is completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It turned out that my components (current Campagnolo), come new with oil already loaded. No bleeding needed in most cases.
    Seems to have worked pretty easy but I do have a small amount of rub. I’m thinking a few rides will break in the pads and hopefully free things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Msriddle View Post
    It turned out that my components (current Campagnolo), come new with oil already loaded. No bleeding needed in most cases.
    Seems to have worked pretty easy but I do have a small amount of rub. I’m thinking a few rides will break in the pads and hopefully free things up.
    I've never fitted a Campag hydro system but with some smaller frame MTB's and gravel bikes one needs to trim the excess length off hydro lines with Shimano, Hope, Magura etc brakes for a neat fit hence having to cut, them and go through the bleeding process.

I'd not accept any pad/disc rubbing especially on CAMPAGNOLO!

C'mon man keep the Campagnolo standard nice and high............

Assuming you have not already done so :-

You can eliminate pad rub by loosening the caliper bolts sufficient for the caliper to have some lateral movement - pull the brake lever on firm then holding the brake lever firm, re-tension the caliper bolts carefully, slowly, bit by bit until each is correctly re-torqured. This should allow the caliper to align itself with the disc and avoid pad rub.

If you have not tried it - do so for your own sanity - new gear should operate as close to perfect as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The brake calipers come with a yellow plastic spacer block which does the same thing as the ut-db010.

The ut-db010 is a friggin' baller spacer block though! It SNAPS into place over the rotor and does a great job of centering the caliper. Totally not needed, but totally awesome to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think wavy road rotors is why Shimano now use XT/XTR rotors in their newest road groups.

If you aren't having success eliminating rubbing, you can try loosening the bolts on the caliper and sliding thin card stock or a piece of flat thin plastic (a spacer essentially) between the pads and the rotor to maintain space between those two surfaces. May help to remove the pads and make sure the pistons are all the way in, then reinstall the pads and insert the thin spacer. Then gently tighten the two caliper bolts, alternating back and forth, until you reach proper torque value. Then slide the spacers out and hopefully you'll have no rubbing.

Hayes makes a tool for this type of adjustment, but really you can make your own.

Last edited by j44ke; 3 Days Ago at 12:56 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, appreciate all the guidance, here’s the latest update.

I went ahead and did the full on bleed. Both the front and rear had some air in the lines. The front cleared up nicely but the bleed process revealed a kink in the hose on the rear brake. I’m now awaiting a new hose ($65 sadly). I bought the OEM campy hose with the banjo fitting, not sure if I could have used something else and re-used the banjo fitting?

I was able to eliminate the rubbing with some micro adjusting of the caliper, all good on the front now, actually great.

Hoping to have the rear sorted out tomorrow when the hose arrives. The Campy hose is coiled and difficult to route thru handle bars and the frame. The kink was were the hose exits the bar and was making very difficult to push the fluid thru during bleeding. My bad on that, I’ll be much more careful with the new hose.

I did make a brake block out of wood that worked well.

Overall, after waiting 10 years to build a disk bike it’s been a good learning experience and a little frustrating. I’m 57 and have turned into a pretty good, self taught campy mechanic going back to 8 spd. I haven’t taken a bike to a shop for repairs since ~ 1990.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Msriddle View Post

Overall, after waiting 10 years to build a disk bike it’s been a good learning experience and a little frustrating. I’m 57 and have turned into a pretty good, self taught campy mechanic going back to 8 spd. I haven’t taken a bike to a shop for repairs since ~ 1990.
    You'll do fine around here. ;-)
    Last edited by j44ke; 2 Days Ago at 11:28 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books