User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Di2 Hack with Sprinter switches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Di2 Hack with Sprinter switches?

I'm planning to use TRP Hydro levers and brakes with DI2 front and rear derailleurs. Plan is to run Di2 in full syncro mode and use two sprinter switches either side of the bars. One in a climbing switch position and one where you can reach it all from the hoods and the drops.

So, obviously Shimano in their wisdom use a different connector for the sprinter shifters, but no matter.

I cut the connectors and wired everything up in series and connected it all up to etube for a double check.

front derailleur - check
    rear derailleur - check
    handlebar junction - check
    internal battery - check
    shifters - nada.

Not a thing. Took out the daisiy chain and tested it with just one shifter. Still Nada. What gives? I thought Di2 didn't care how stuff was connected as long as it was connected?

I'm obviously missing something crucial here?
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Di2 Hack with Sprinter switches?

Isn't the Junction B (sm-jc41) required?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why go through all this hassle vs just using the Shimano levers and calipers?
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sprinter switches will not work. They don't have a chip in them, they are a simple switch which is why they use the different connector that only plugs into a shift lever. I do believe you could use SW-R9150 the climbers switches which use a standard e-tube connector.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chik - yes the 41 junction box is in there and clearly working as everything else (that passes through the junction box) is being identified. It just doesnít get identified.

Jamie - thanks. That confirms what iíve heard from elsewhere overnight. Shame as the climber satellite shifters are what I was going to use until about 2 minutes before i bought the sprinter shifters!

Dustin - fair question. I quite enjoy the tinkering aspect, so iím not really viewing it as a hassle. I prefer to have a system i understand rather than something that somehow works but iím to afraid to touch.

I also prefer the firm braking feel of the TRPís to the Shimano levers. And i prefer the way the TRP levers look (not that iím shallow like that). On top of that the Shimano shifters calipers are about 4x the price here.

I guess itís like building a bike. Itís more hassle to choose all the parts and build up a bike rather than just buying one from a shop like normal people do, but i prefer it. This is just an extension of that. It might make no logical sense, but i prefer it.

Thanks all
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice project. I initially wanted to hack some campy EPS bar end shifters and wire some buttons to the hylex lever a few years ago but never got to the point of pulling the trigger on a campy eps groupset. At this point I'd add a climber shifter to your setup. It is always nice to be able to switch from the tops.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To follow up from Jamie's comment.

SW-R9150 satellite shifters arrived today. Slightly larger than the sprinter shifters (to allow for the chip I suppose). Plugged it into the handlebar junction and it got recognised by the software without drama. So confirming what Jamie said, sprinter shifters don't work, Satellite SW-R9150 shifters do work.

On the plus side, the wires from the satellite shifters are longer, so i'll be able to get by with 2 bodged joins (I mean finely hand crafted) instead of four.

Also, the shifters are pretty small but the mounting units are not! Wow, those things are huge. You'd really have to be want to use zip ties to use them instead of a bit of hot glue.

Anyway, all back on track. I think it's going to end up pretty neat.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know about this adapter, right? Doesn't sound like it totally fits into your scheme, but maybe one of the shifters could go on the left lever (or right) like this?

Hylex Di2 Adapter Kit | TRP Cycling
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    You know about this adapter, right? Doesn't sound like it totally fits into your scheme, but maybe one of the shifters could go on the left lever (or right) like this?

Hylex Di2 Adapter Kit | TRP Cycling
    Thanks Jorn. Seeing that is what started me off down this rabbit hole. It's simple solution, but not elegant. I'm going more for elegant but not simple. Although, once it's all worked out it's not likely to be particularly complex.

Iíve got a few issues with TRP's offering:
    ē Firstly, itís designed to use with an under-stem junction box. It's not rational, but I don't want one.
    ē Secondly, you canít shift from the drops, or the tops.
    ē Thirdly, I suspect my thumb would feel it all the time. Which. Would. Get. On. My. Nerves.

Added to that, Iíve got the original Di2 climber switch and while I like it in theory in practice itís more a love/hate relationship. I appreciate I could reprogram these ones so both buttons do the same thing, but the damage is done as far as I am concernedÖ

My brain sees the large and small buttons and instantly I think ďwell thatís obvious, the large button shifts to a larger cog, the small button shifts to a smaller cogĒ. Shimano on the other hand apparently thought ďobviously the large button will give you a larger effort and the small button will give you a smaller effortĒ. So, every time I use it thereís a fairly complex game of bluff and double bluff going on in my head. Sometimes I get the outcome I desire. When I donít need it, I probably get it right 80% of the time. When I need to get it right, itís more like 40%. Hence the hate.

Hence, going for my own solution. Won't end up more expensive and I should be able to shift in full syncro mode from the tops, the hoods and the drops without adding anything to the hoods. Should end up quite stealthy.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Also, the shifters are pretty small but the mounting units are not! Wow, those things are huge. You'd really have to be want to use zip ties to use them instead of a bit of hot glue.
    I've got mine attached straight to bar with electrical tape and without the bulky mounts. One side I snipped the bar tape, the other I just put the tape over the switch section. Both work so when I re-taped I didn't bother with the snip. And yes the shifters are in a different position around the bar in these photos as I was trying to figure out where I wanted them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I've got mine attached straight to bar with electrical tape and without the bulky mounts. One side I snipped the bar tape, the other I just put the tape over the switch section. Both work so when I re-taped I didn't bother with the snip. And yes the shifters are in a different position around the bar in these photos as I was trying to figure out where I wanted them.
    Thanks Tristan. Where did you end up finding most comfortable? I'm thinking under the bar, towards the rear at the moment...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Tristan. Where did you end up finding most comfortable? I'm thinking under the bar, towards the rear at the moment...
    I honestly didn't care - I found it easy to use them in both positions. On the list is to add another set on the drops as sprint shifters.

And, yes, I removed that ugly hydraulic connector!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

895EB3A4-ED10-4B73-93FA-E887E0E10454.jpg

Handlebar wiring harness finished.

Itís not particularly pretty, it wonít make a Weight Weenie swoon. But itís functional (and waterproof). All four satellite switches get recognised by etubes.

Iím using the wireless unit and the handlebar junction. Iíve had 5 years to learn what the various led lights mean with respect to charging. I havenít. Iím shite at that. So, iíve Included the wireless purely so my computer can say ď37%Ē or whatever, with respect to battery charge.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

895EB3A4-ED10-4B73-93FA-E887E0E10454.jpg

Handlebar wiring harness finished.

It’s not particularly pretty, it won’t make a Weight Weenie swoon. But it’s functional (and waterproof). All four satellite switches get recognised by etubes.

I’m using the wireless unit and the handlebar junction. I’ve had 5 years to learn what the various led lights mean with respect to charging. I haven’t. I’m shite at that. So, i’ve Included the wireless purely so my computer can say “37%” or whatever, with respect to battery charge.
    this is excellent. do you have any pictures of it mounted up to the bars and have you used with the trp hylex levers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not yet John. It's going on a bike Mark is building the frame for, and that's not quite finished yet.

I think we are probably a month away from D-day. I'll add some photos once it's installed though
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slight delay. Or maybe a major delay. Not sure, but it will be what it will be.

Will still post an update once itís on a bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Di2 Hack with Satellite shifters.

First, sprinter shifters donít work. Just donít.

Second, if you PM me Iíll send you more detail. It takes patience but itís not hard.

Here are some photos of it mounted. Havenít ridden it in anger yet but in the hall it all works...

16BA650F-89B4-4CCD-89C4-A855A5D01D6D.jpg

Some people would do functional and elegant. I just do functional. Much hot glue! I have no idea why the photo is upside down!

DAEAA1FC-20DA-4A01-A5F1-1E9AA3EBD339.jpg

Because...bar tape

C0A7964C-F70C-4874-A0BF-36ABC0B2F548.jpg
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sods law would appear to be at work here. DI2 only lets you program left and right switches as one. Yep, I have made it with one left switch on the left and one on the right. Bugger. Little bit of re-work required here!
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before i get stuck into re-making it does anyone have a hack that allows you to identify and program individual switches. I'm not expecting the answer to be yes, but if you don't ask....
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not just use the SW-R9150 shifters?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast