User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Di2 Hack with Sprinter switches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Di2 Hack with Sprinter switches?

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Why not just use the SW-R9150 shifters?
    That's the climbing switches? Shimano and i disagree about which direction changes should happen. When i don't need to get it right i mostly do, but when i do need to mostly not. Plus, i couldn't use them from the drops or the tops. And in the TRP set up, i'm pretty sure i'd feel them. Plus this way i have developed a clue about what goes on!

Sorry, just looked it up! I want to try the TRP brakes. That's all.

Made version two, because it turns out unsoldering something is hard. This time the two left switches are on the left and the two right switches are on the right.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah SW-R9150 is the newer "climbing switch" which looks like the old "sprint shifter" but has a regular ol' eTube plug and all the internals to make it a 'proper' shifter.
    SW-R915

You don't need to use an STI (integrated shifter / brake unit) with these - just plug as many as you want into the system and hey presto. (This is true at the time of writing but Shimano does have a tendency to change the eTube software / firmware) They've got a reasonably long 261mm cable so for a job like yours you could have a 5-port junction box under your stem and you should be able to run two sets into the locations you've got.

The stock rubber mounts are bulky but I've found that double-sided foam tape underneath and a little electrical tape around the edges does an excellent job of mounting them onto a curved handlebar and it's pretty easy to bar-tape around them, or cut a small notch for the button section to protrude.

The older ISWR610 is the "sprint shifter" which requires an STI.

I appreciate you've already got what you've got and it's cool to see you hack it apart, but for anyone less enthusiastic the R9150 would make this job a whole lot easier :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah SW-R9150 is the newer "climbing switch" which looks like the old "sprint shifter" but has a regular ol' eTube plug and all the internals to make it a 'proper' shifter.
    SW-R915

You don't need to use an STI (integrated shifter / brake unit) with these - just plug as many as you want into the system and hey presto. (This is true at the time of writing but Shimano does have a tendency to change the eTube software / firmware) They've got a reasonably long 261mm cable so for a job like yours you could have a 5-port junction box under your stem and you should be able to run two sets into the locations you've got.

The stock rubber mounts are bulky but I've found that double-sided foam tape underneath and a little electrical tape around the edges does an excellent job of mounting them onto a curved handlebar and it's pretty easy to bar-tape around them, or cut a small notch for the button section to protrude.

The older ISWR610 is the "sprint shifter" which requires an STI.

I appreciate you've already got what you've got and it's cool to see you hack it apart, but for anyone less enthusiastic the R9150 would make this job a whole lot easier :-)
    I think that might be what i'm calling satellite shifters. I also think that's where i started before i made the irrational decision to avoid a junction box under the stem and go for a bar end junction box which only comes with two ports! So then i had to get 4 shifters down to 1 port...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So yes, as Tristan said, if you don't mind an understem junction box, this could be plug and play simple. Really that easy.

I do, so it wasn't. Not ever hard, but not simple. Today I learnt three things.

1) Don't put a remote shifter button on the outside of the handlebar. Everytime you lean the bike against a wall it will be trying to shift.
    2) I probably wasted an afternoon doing version 2 of the wiring harness. Yes the system automatically recognizes them as only two left and two right shifters, but it seems you can program each shifter to do what you want. Arse. More haste less speed and all that.
    3) TRP brakes do need breaking in. The manual says 30 times i think. I'd say 10-15 stops is plenty. In that time it goes from "where are my bloody brakes" to "hey these are pretty good".

Here's my question though. There are only two chainrings. Why can't you have just one button for the front derailleur and rather than setting shift up or shift down it just goes to where-ever it is not?

From a quick test ride it looks like I don't hate syncro, but if I did, you can set it as semi-syncro with the rear derailleur shifts set to zero when the front derailleur moves. Which makes it not even slightly synchro, but whatever...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished. What i like about this Fabric tape is it doesn't have that central adhesive section, so if I feel the need to do a better job of the wrapping, it will be easy. What I don't like is they are too cool to use capital letters.

Regardless, this little project is finished. I think it's better than the TRP factory set-up, but they haven't approached me yet

IMG-0003.jpg

IMG-0004.jpg
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wahoo and Di2 synchro

Just wanted to say, I like this set up a lot.

Unless youíve never ridden a bike before I canít really see where semi-synchro would help you, but the full Synchro I like a lot. If I had full shifters, I can see why you might not want it, but I find the one side up one side down shifting so intuitive I suspect I would still use it. Plus, it wouldnít matter how big your winter gloves are- you wouldnít accidentally shift the wrong way.

Tristan mentioned you could setup a Garmin to beep when the next shift was going to be a downshift (the only shift thatís kind of disruptive if you are not expecting it), but that you couldnít do it with a Wahoo. I was disappointed by that news. Never mind...turns out that provided you have the wireless thingy the Wahoo can show you what gear you are in. I thought that was a worthless gimmick, but itís actually surprisingly (to me anyway) awesome, and stops you being caught unawares by a front downshift. Iím a convert.

I have a custom page on my Wahoo setup just like the one shown on the Di2 Center website, here: D-fly / Wireless Unit / Information Display - why get one - Di2 Center. Thatís also an awesome one stop Di2 website by the way. Thanks Terry.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These buttons rock. If you've got the spare ports you should add them to you system.

Dumb luck means the location of my right hand button is perfect. I can shift from the hoods with my fingers and from the drops with my thumb. It's not quite thought activated shifting but it's not far off.

Unfortunately the location of the right hand button highlights that the location of the left hand one is less than perfect - no thumb shifting from the drops for that one, yet.

For me, satellite shifters are the point of electronic groupsets. You should get some if you can!
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread provided me with a lot of good insight as I considered how to build out my first disc bike. As Colin and others have noted The Hylex RS won me over on the aesthetics of the brake lever, their adjustability and the similarity of the ergonomics of the hoods with Campagnolo Ergopower (plus the positive reviews).

Rather than create my own di2 wiring, I connected the remote satellite switches (SW-R9150) through a junction B box on the left to the handlebar mounted junction A by running an extra e-tube wire through the bar to a 2 port junction connector (EW-JC200). Was able to locate the switches behind the brake lever and just above the brake mounting strap. Very stealthy! And easily accessed from anywhere on the bar.

trp.jpegtrp2.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went for a long ride (for me) today. Now that iíve got the switch locations dialled, I definitely use the drops more. Now that changing gear is no issue, itís my new favourite place for when you are having a dig.

These set ups are so awesome, I donít really get why TRP hasnít jumped on the bandwagon.

Or Shimano, itís not like no one has told them the standard shifter button locations suck if you have winter gloves on.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Or Shimano, it’s not like no one has told them the standard shifter button locations suck if you have winter gloves on.
    It is surprisingly bad considering the general level of refinement of the Di2 stuff.

I haven't used the sprint shifters, am I correct in thinking that each switch has a unique single function, like say, one switch would do a rear upshift only? Trying to decide if I want to add some to my Di2 bike, and where I would want them located.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its my understanding that sprint shifters can not operate independent of di2 shifters as they have no 'brain', only the remote satellite shifters (SW-R9150) and the climbing switch (SW-R600) (or the TT switches) can. The PC-only Shimano software allows you to update the firmware and program the function of each switch. It sounds complicated but it is actually quite simple in practice.
    Last edited by one60; 03-19-2020 at 11:33 AM. Reason: sheevers spell check of brifter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    It is surprisingly bad considering the general level of refinement of the Di2 stuff.

I haven't used the sprint shifters, am I correct in thinking that each switch has a unique single function, like say, one switch would do a rear upshift only? Trying to decide if I want to add some to my Di2 bike, and where I would want them located.
    You do want to add them to your bike...they are the point of Di2 to me!

Provided you use the satellite shifters you can program them to do what you want, but once you are using them they can only do that one thing you have programmed them to do. Crystal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both for the input.

So, I am thinking that I might like an upshift button somewhere on the drop section of the handlebar, and a downshift button somewhere on the top. If I use syncro shift, which seems OK to me at the moment, I might be more happy with Di2 than I am now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You people complaining about ergonomics of Di2 need to try synchro shift: Set both left-hand buttons to give you a slower gear, both right-hand button to give a faster gear, and let the computer work the front derailleur.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You people complaining about ergonomics of Di2 need to try synchro shift: Set both left-hand buttons to give you a slower gear, both right-hand button to give a faster gear, and let the computer work the front derailleur.
    I absolutely thought I was going to go down this path on my singular Di2 bike. I love eTap and when I took a leap of faith with Di2 on my new Black Oak Velo Mosaic I was sure I would end up setting it up like you describe, eTap-ish + auto front shifting. Well, the Di2 ergonomics are great. I occasionally mis-shift when brushing something against the buttons due to habits I've developed from years of riding mechanical, where you don't need to worry about bumping stuff against the shifters. But other than that, it's excellent. I'm a fan. Not quite a full convert, but definitely a fan. Would buy again.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds interesting. I need to get a windows machine and try this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll add: the only downside I find to this setup is slowing on a climb and the bike shifts from the large front chainring to the small. It does this by first shifting the front derailleur, *then* making a couple of rear derailleur shifts for chain-tension issues. The result is a second of high-cadence riding and I find this annoying at anything over about 350 watts. This is opposite to when you're accelerating and the system shifts the front *and* corresponding rear shifts at the same time resulting in no such cadence change.

Any Garmin with Di2 integration will beep and display a small on-screen warning to let you know you've got a chainring shift next which I find a big help.

It takes a few rides to re-map your brain but give it some time and I think you'll really enjoy this setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similarly. Wahoo donít do the beep thing but can show you what gear you are in. Since you soon work out where a downshift triggers the front derailleur, itís very useful too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is exactly what I'm trying to do with my new setup. This thread was super helpful in figuring out why it wasn't working.

Colinmclelland, did you just solder two of the SW-R9150 satellite shifters together on each side and they still worked? Or did you have a separate Di2 port for each of them?

I only have one Di2 port available on each side and I'm trying to avoid something too wonky (but clever) like here: Homemade Di2 sprint/climbing shifters - Weight Weenies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mbettonville View Post
    This is exactly what I'm trying to do with my new setup. This thread was super helpful in figuring out why it wasn't working.

Colinmclelland, did you just solder two of the SW-R9150 satellite shifters together on each side and they still worked? Or did you have a separate Di2 port for each of them?

I only have one Di2 port available on each side and I'm trying to avoid something too wonky (but clever) like here: Homemade Di2 sprint/climbing shifters - Weight Weenies
    Yep there is NOTHING clever or complicated about what I did.

I have four SW-R9150 switches soldered into a single two cable wire that then joins into a single junction end. Four switches, one junction. It really feels like it shouldn't work but it does. There must be lots of brains in the system, because you don't have to use any.

When you are programming it, the etubes software counts two lots of two types of switches (nominally left and right) but it actually identifies and assigns actions to each switch by your clicking on the relevant switch so the left and right thing doesn't matter at all in practice. Ask me how I know!
    Colin Mclelland

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast