User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Di2 Hack with Sprinter switches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Di2 Hack with Sprinter switches?

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Why not just use the SW-R9150 shifters?
    That's the climbing switches? Shimano and i disagree about which direction changes should happen. When i don't need to get it right i mostly do, but when i do need to mostly not. Plus, i couldn't use them from the drops or the tops. And in the TRP set up, i'm pretty sure i'd feel them. Plus this way i have developed a clue about what goes on!

Sorry, just looked it up! I want to try the TRP brakes. That's all.

Made version two, because it turns out unsoldering something is hard. This time the two left switches are on the left and the two right switches are on the right.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah SW-R9150 is the newer "climbing switch" which looks like the old "sprint shifter" but has a regular ol' eTube plug and all the internals to make it a 'proper' shifter.
    SW-R915

You don't need to use an STI (integrated shifter / brake unit) with these - just plug as many as you want into the system and hey presto. (This is true at the time of writing but Shimano does have a tendency to change the eTube software / firmware) They've got a reasonably long 261mm cable so for a job like yours you could have a 5-port junction box under your stem and you should be able to run two sets into the locations you've got.

The stock rubber mounts are bulky but I've found that double-sided foam tape underneath and a little electrical tape around the edges does an excellent job of mounting them onto a curved handlebar and it's pretty easy to bar-tape around them, or cut a small notch for the button section to protrude.

The older ISWR610 is the "sprint shifter" which requires an STI.

I appreciate you've already got what you've got and it's cool to see you hack it apart, but for anyone less enthusiastic the R9150 would make this job a whole lot easier :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Yeah SW-R9150 is the newer "climbing switch" which looks like the old "sprint shifter" but has a regular ol' eTube plug and all the internals to make it a 'proper' shifter.
    SW-R915

You don't need to use an STI (integrated shifter / brake unit) with these - just plug as many as you want into the system and hey presto. (This is true at the time of writing but Shimano does have a tendency to change the eTube software / firmware) They've got a reasonably long 261mm cable so for a job like yours you could have a 5-port junction box under your stem and you should be able to run two sets into the locations you've got.

The stock rubber mounts are bulky but I've found that double-sided foam tape underneath and a little electrical tape around the edges does an excellent job of mounting them onto a curved handlebar and it's pretty easy to bar-tape around them, or cut a small notch for the button section to protrude.

The older ISWR610 is the "sprint shifter" which requires an STI.

I appreciate you've already got what you've got and it's cool to see you hack it apart, but for anyone less enthusiastic the R9150 would make this job a whole lot easier :-)
    I think that might be what i'm calling satellite shifters. I also think that's where i started before i made the irrational decision to avoid a junction box under the stem and go for a bar end junction box which only comes with two ports! So then i had to get 4 shifters down to 1 port...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So yes, as Tristan said, if you don't mind an understem junction box, this could be plug and play simple. Really that easy.

I do, so it wasn't. Not ever hard, but not simple. Today I learnt three things.

1) Don't put a remote shifter button on the outside of the handlebar. Everytime you lean the bike against a wall it will be trying to shift.
    2) I probably wasted an afternoon doing version 2 of the wiring harness. Yes the system automatically recognizes them as only two left and two right shifters, but it seems you can program each shifter to do what you want. Arse. More haste less speed and all that.
    3) TRP brakes do need breaking in. The manual says 30 times i think. I'd say 10-15 stops is plenty. In that time it goes from "where are my bloody brakes" to "hey these are pretty good".

Here's my question though. There are only two chainrings. Why can't you have just one button for the front derailleur and rather than setting shift up or shift down it just goes to where-ever it is not?

From a quick test ride it looks like I don't hate syncro, but if I did, you can set it as semi-syncro with the rear derailleur shifts set to zero when the front derailleur moves. Which makes it not even slightly synchro, but whatever...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished. What i like about this Fabric tape is it doesn't have that central adhesive section, so if I feel the need to do a better job of the wrapping, it will be easy. What I don't like is they are too cool to use capital letters.

Regardless, this little project is finished. I think it's better than the TRP factory set-up, but they haven't approached me yet

IMG-0003.jpg

IMG-0004.jpg
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wahoo and Di2 synchro

Just wanted to say, I like this set up a lot.

Unless youíve never ridden a bike before I canít really see where semi-synchro would help you, but the full Synchro I like a lot. If I had full shifters, I can see why you might not want it, but I find the one side up one side down shifting so intuitive I suspect I would still use it. Plus, it wouldnít matter how big your winter gloves are- you wouldnít accidentally shift the wrong way.

Tristan mentioned you could setup a Garmin to beep when the next shift was going to be a downshift (the only shift thatís kind of disruptive if you are not expecting it), but that you couldnít do it with a Wahoo. I was disappointed by that news. Never mind...turns out that provided you have the wireless thingy the Wahoo can show you what gear you are in. I thought that was a worthless gimmick, but itís actually surprisingly (to me anyway) awesome, and stops you being caught unawares by a front downshift. Iím a convert.

I have a custom page on my Wahoo setup just like the one shown on the Di2 Center website, here: D-fly / Wireless Unit / Information Display - why get one - Di2 Center. Thatís also an awesome one stop Di2 website by the way. Thanks Terry.
    Colin Mclelland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12