Thread: Defective tubes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Defective tubes

Headache.

Weird little pinhole in 5 tubes in the ~28-50mm size range (different size designations but basically the same size) and 3 different "brands." Pinhole in each tube was in this neck section of the tube, possibly where the tube is joined? Whatever it is, it doesn't inflate with the same elasticity as the surrounding tube, and I guess that lack of elasticity creates the pinhole. Leaks slowly enough a couple were installed only to deflate later, sometimes much later, but without anything in the tire or evidence that there had been. A couple were leaking right out of the box due to a pinhole in the same area.

These were from brands that are usually pretty dependable - Specialized and Continental - and one that would qualify as a well-known discount I guess - Q-Tubes.

What's up with this construction method? It is like they are joining the tube with piece of a smaller diameter tube. I'm trying to figure out how to avoid it, other than switching to tubeless (which isn't going to happen any time soon.) I replaced the last one with a Schwalbe SV17 tube. That one looked nice and uniform so maybe I'll just use those. So far so good.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Defective tubes

Jorn, I had a similar problem with the butt joints on a series of inner tubes. Posted about it here and somebody from the distributor read the thread and took care of me.

That double butt joint looks suspect to me. It's like they spliced a smaller tube to make a bigger tube.

If you find the thread I started, it shows a very similar pinhole along the zigzag butt joint.

TH
    Last edited by thollandpe; 1 Week Ago at 10:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I found the photo but not the thread:

Tubes are important. We depend on them for our safety. Let's hope this gets figured out -- stat -- before somebody gets hurt.

Check it out at 3:15, do all inner tubes have a butt joint?

TH
    Last edited by thollandpe; 1 Week Ago at 10:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I don't use tubes anymore, schwalbes have always been great and consistent in my experience. I think they are worth the price difference.

That said I don't see the point using tube for tires >28mm, the only one I keep is a spare.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Jorn, I had a similar problem with the butt joints on a series of inner tubes. Posted about it here and somebody from the distributor read the thread and took care of me.

That double butt joint looks suspect to me. It's like they spliced a smaller tube to make a bigger tube.

If you find the thread I started, it shows a very similar pinhole along the zigzag butt joint.

TH
    Hmm, interesting. Looks like perhaps my tube was fabricated to address your situation.

The Schwalbe looked good going into the tire, so we'll see how that one works. I'll have to stock up, because no one locally carries them. I have some unopened tubes from other brands also, so I'll check those carefully before using them.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíve seen this variance but rarely do I see a hole develop. The only road tubes I bother with myself are Michelin airstop but I easily install hundreds of spec and qtubes each month and I canít remember the last time I had this happen. Will definitely follow this thread though as it could be a batch issue I havenít seen yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

we had a rash of these last year; can't remember brand (Kenda? Quality?) but it was in the 700x35 schrader

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What was noticeable about my defective batch is that they pulled apart easily at that butt joint. My suspicion is there was a problem with the process, the calcium carbonate wasn't cleaned off before the splice was made.

I've used a bazillion old tubes for bungee cords and tie downs, never had one pull apart.

TH

PS Did anybody else notice similarities between the "How It's Made" video above and the Plumbus bit from Rick & Morty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brilliant reference, TH