Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DA R9150 rear derailleur tantrum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DA R9150 rear derailleur tantrum

A bit of an odd problem. I'm posting in case someone has encountered this before and knows the solution.

I installed a new chain, and it no longer shifts to the smallest sprocket. It actually seems to think that the 10th is the smallest. When itís on the 1st and I shift down again, it wonít physically overshift because of the limiter. However, when shifting back up to the 2nd, I need to shift twice because I believe it thinks itís starting from sprocket 0 and working from 0 to 10.

Thereís nothing to suggest that the frame or the steel hanger is out of alignment since I havenít crashed. Shifting efficiency itself is fine. Firmware for all the bits are up to date. It is not in RD protection mode. The wheel is in straight -- otherwise the disc brake calliper would let me know as well. I tried adjusting the outer limiter screw to no avail.

I thought that the indexing may be set too far inwards, so I tried bringing it all the way out. However, having gone into adjustment mode, the RD doesn't actually move at all in either direction when trying to adjust indexing position.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DA R9150 rear derailleur tantrum

Is this in the small chainring or the large chainring?

The modern firmware will not allow the rear derailleur to shift into the smallest two cogs when in the small chainring. I *think* this might be dependent on what cassette and chainring sizes you've told etube you're using but I honestly haven't played around with it recently to confirm this.

In the large chainring the rear derailleur will shift through all 11 cogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Is this in the small chainring or the large chainring?

The modern firmware will not allow the rear derailleur to shift into the smallest two cogs when in the small chainring. I *think* this might be dependent on what cassette and chainring sizes you've told etube you're using but I honestly haven't played around with it recently to confirm this.

In the large chainring the rear derailleur will shift through all 11 cogs.
    Thanks. It's the large ring.

Update: index adjustment now works. It had to do with the fact that I had both buttons on the right lever to shift down. Once I changed it to the default setting where the lower button is set for shifting up, the index adjustment works. However, the main problem remains unresolved.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may not help but I switched rear wheels on my Di2 mtb derailleur bike to go to a narrower tire, identical cassettes with very little wear on both wheels. After the swap the up shifts were noisy and most of the time it either wouldn't shift up or it went up 2 gears. After trying just about every adjustment there is turns out I had the B screw too far in, adjusted the B screw so the derailleur was as close to the largest cog as possible. Problem solved back to smooth shifting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

back your limits out a lot and start the adjustments from step 1.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the way to approach.
    I had a rear derailleur that was shifting ok- But not perfect.
    I realized that the fine tuning adjustment was all the way at the end on the 11 tooth side (fine tune would only go inboard).
    Let out the limits 4 turns- Went through all the steps of adjustment, now it is centered and works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for you comments. I'll return to tinkering when I have a bit of time and revert with results, hopefully positive.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I had time to look at it again this afternoon. Sorted. Thanks!
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Di2 limit screws don't serve much of a purpose. They're hard stops, but would only serve to be hard stops after the chain has shifted into the frame or wheel. They need to be WELL clear of the limit to which you would adjust a cable derailleur.

What you have experienced is the classic symptom of a limit that's too tight...but that doesn't explain why it only arose after you installed a new chain. And with that in mind, I suggest making sure your hanger is straight. Most derailleur hangers - right now, at this moment, in the world - are bent, period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
    What you have experienced is the classic symptom of a limit that's too tight...but that doesn't explain why it only arose after you installed a new chain.
    I don't know what it is, but I've seen this happen on multiple bikes that have straight hangers and Shadow RDs. And I can't explain it. The riders aren't tinkerers, the wheels haven't been swapped, the cassettes haven't been swapped, chains are original. And yet the H limit is dialed in too far, and further than it was months prior. These have also all been thru axle wheels.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but that doesn't explain why it only arose after you installed a new chain..
    New chains have a lot less lateral movement than worn chains...it could be that all the slop in the old chain was just enough to allow it to sit on the cog. Or it could be a coincidence ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    New chains have a lot less lateral movement than worn chains...it could be that all the slop in the old chain was just enough to allow it to sit on the cog. Or it could be a coincidence ;-)
    Yeah. I usually only find this “break in” affects B-tension, though. It can do really misleading things with the vertical position of derailleurs, particularly older Shimano with weak springs in the cage pivot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I owe a clarification. When I swapped the chain, I tinkered with the index adjustment immediately after installing the new chain. I suspect that the lever setting "issue" described previously had me set the position all the way inwards right at the beginning of this saga. I feel a bit idiotic, but lesson learned.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Di2 limit screws don't serve much of a purpose. They're hard stops, but would only serve to be hard stops after the chain has shifted into the frame or wheel. They need to be WELL clear of the limit to which you would adjust a cable derailleur.

What you have experienced is the classic symptom of a limit that's too tight...but that doesn't explain why it only arose after you installed a new chain. And with that in mind, I suggest making sure your hanger is straight. Most derailleur hangers - right now, at this moment, in the world - are bent, period.
    Most derailleur hangers on "modern" (?) bikes will bend with moderate crosswinds
    Agree with the limit screws, back them off 1/4 turn from the real stop.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi cosž colŗ dove si puote
    ciÚ che si vuole, e piý non dimandare"