User Tag List

Thread: Cushcore inserts-installation/removal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cushcore inserts-installation/removal

OK so I jumped on the bandwagon and had the shop install these on my 30mm carbon rims laced to Hope hubs, Pro 4 (junk). Twice I've replaced the bearings in these hubs so they are crunchy sort of and it's time for something more reliable. Problem: removing the tire from the rim. I see that Cushcore offers a specific tire lever. Is this what I need? The volume of the Cushcore pushing against the tire wall makes sliding an ordinary tire iron in there seem quite challenging. What says the collective wisdom? There must be an easier solution and I want to be a self made man here not running to the LBS when I need a tire change....and thanks.
    Tim Campen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cushcore inserts-installation/removal

I'm more curious about the Hope hubs. I have Pro 4 hubs on my MTB and have had zero issues in the past two years. I realize conditions in the desert where I ride are different than upstate SC, but were your issues related to seals? I've replaced bearings in my WI XMR hubs, but haven't had to touch the Hope ones.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a tire-lever-plier made by KoolStop and another made by Vittoria that get good reviews from CyclingTips. No idea how they work exactly. Squeeze and lever. Something like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    OK so I jumped on the bandwagon and had the shop install these on my 30mm carbon rims laced to Hope hubs, Pro 4 (junk). Twice I've replaced the bearings in these hubs so they are crunchy sort of and it's time for something more reliable. Problem: removing the tire from the rim. I see that Cushcore offers a specific tire lever. Is this what I need? The volume of the Cushcore pushing against the tire wall makes sliding an ordinary tire iron in there seem quite challenging. What says the collective wisdom? There must be an easier solution and I want to be a self made man here not running to the LBS when I need a tire change....and thanks.
    I've been running them for several years now and the learning curve to getting a relatively quick tire change was steep. The two biggest hurdles, IMO, are the sealant essentially gluing the bead to the rim and the insert itself acting to reinforce the contact between the bead and rim. Initially breaking the bead off of the rim is the toughest part of the tire change. I happened to have a set of these: https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0519 on my motorbike and they're invaluable to break the bead, BUT you can do it with a really stiff tire lever too (like the CushCore lever).

The first thing to do is to push the bead away from the rim wall around the entire circumference of the rim. Once it's free, you can push the bead in and down with your thumbs. The key is to get the bead to dive under the insert and into the center channel of the rim. It can be helpful to use a strap, tightly wrapped around that spot, as you work around the rim to push the bead under the insert. Once this is done, you should be able to get a tire lever under the bead to remove the one side...then repeat it on the other.

Pay careful attention to the rim tape once you have the tire off. If you're struggling to get the tire and insert off, odds are pretty high that you've borked up the tape and you don't want to discover that AFTER you've mounted a new tire.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I'm more curious about the Hope hubs. I have Pro 4 hubs on my MTB and have had zero issues in the past two years. I realize conditions in the desert where I ride are different than upstate SC, but were your issues related to seals? I've replaced bearings in my WI XMR hubs, but haven't had to touch the Hope ones.
    I guess you're lucky. Mine were crunchy after a few rides, got replacements from Hope USA in Bend, who told me that the bearings were rough like that but got smooth under load????? The replacement bearings were exactly like the first set only crunchy after 2 rides.
    Tim Campen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pass on the Cush core tire tool. It is really just Pedro's tire lever with a bigger handle. The Vittoria air liner tire tool is very helpful if you are trying to break the bead away from the tire. It does not damage the tire or rim. Other than the small rubber tubes falling off it works great. Some glue keeps those tabs on.